First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Call/message a tuner of the 2.0. The psi under the MAP scalar in the 20’s may include atmospheric and starts at absolute zero. (Thus 2x sea level atmospheric psi would be 29.4) General rule of thumb based on my instruction was doubling the pressure generally doubles the power but, obviously, it’s not a linear gain scenario. Point there being that a NA 2.0 would typically make under 200hp (and with the low rpm ceiling more like 150hp peak) and almost doubling the psi would likely put the peak power where the Alfa and Jeep 2.0 is.
Sponsored

Last edited:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
These 2.0's run > 20psi boost above atmospheric pressure. Mid-upper 30's if you prefer to look at absolute pressure.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Doesn't that contradict your previous statement, that MAP = Boost?

If 1 ATM = ~14.7 MAP = 0 boost, then 24.5 MAP = ~10 boost.
Not at all. It is all in how the ecm is calibrated to view the pressures. If it is reading boost, which is anything over 1 atmosphere, then it is P = Absolute Manifold volume - Sea level Delta (or 14.70 or 29.92" of Mercury.)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Call/message a tuner of the 2.0. The psi under the MAP scalar in the 20’s may include atmospheric and starts at absolute zero. General rule of thumb based on my instruction was doubling the pressure generally doubles the power but, obviously, it’s not a linear gain scenario. Point there being that a NA 2.0 would typically make under 200hp (and with the low rpm ceiling more like 150hp peak) and almost doubling the psi would likely put the peak power where the Alfa and Jeep 2.0 is.
The way to visualize it is you have a NA engine that makes 200Hp at sea level. That means it makes 200Hp at one atmosphere of pressure on it (~14.7psi at sea level).

If you boost it by 1 atmosphere (14.7psi) you should double power (400Hp) all things being perfect. That means the IC is 100% efficient so charge air temp is same as ambient, engine can flow both on the intake and exhaust side the added volume, etc, etc. So in the real world you are doing good if you get 75% of that. So 350Hp would mean you are doing good.

As you further turn up the boost it is diminishing returns without doing a lot of work to keep the efficiency up.

Remember as well anything you can do to help the engine pump air more efficiently means more power as the turbo will reach the boost set point sooner (so more power under the curve) and have to work less to achieve that set point which means lower inlet charge temperatures.

This is why the Prodigy claims are bullshit on the 3.6L. If you start with 270Hp at sea level, and add 6 psi, the most you can get is another 40% assuming all things perfect (6psi is 40% of 14.7psi or 1 atmosphere). If we assume the same 75% efficiency we now are at 30% (75% of 40%) over stock or 351hp. you can't cheat the physics ;)

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The way to visualize it is you have a NA engine that makes 200Hp at sea level. That means it makes 200Hp at one atmosphere of pressure on it (~14.7psi at sea level).

If you boost it by 1 atmosphere (14.7psi) you should double power (400Hp) all things being perfect. That means the IC is 100% efficient so charge air temp is same as ambient, engine can flow both on the intake and exhaust side the added volume, etc, etc. So in the real world you are doing good if you get 75% of that. So 350Hp would mean you are doing good.

As you further turn up the boost it is diminishing returns without doing a lot of work to keep the efficiency up.

Remember as well anything you can do to help the engine pump air more efficiently means more power as the turbo will reach the boost set point sooner (so more power under the curve) and have to work less to achieve that set point which means lower inlet charge temperatures.

This is why the Prodigy claims are bullshit on the 3.6L. If you start with 270Hp at sea level, and add 6 psi, the most you can get is another 40% assuming all things perfect (6psi is 40% of 14.7psi or 1 atmosphere). If we assume the same 75% efficiency we now are at 30% (75% of 40%) over stock or 351hp. you can't cheat the physics ;)
Correct.

Sponsored

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My Tazer is showing a max boost of 16 PSI WOT at 850 elevation. Joe Z, on his tazer, is showing 23-24 PSI WOT...seems to be some variation

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Update:

Still running really well. Have recently done a spark plug check and they all look good, no signs of erosion or fouling. Map2 is what I am running and happy with it.

I recently had the chance to drive a 2020 2.0L and this really made me realize how much stronger the JB4 tune makes the JL accelerate. It's probably the best mod I've made to my JL from a daily driving enjoyment perspective.

Mileage hovers between 20.3 and 22.1 mpg depending on my mood and the temperature - I am convinced I get a slight uptick when colder out but that might be me being more gentle on the throttle to avoid tire spin.

If you've got a 2.0 you are missing out on a lot more enjoyable driving experience.

OP
OP
Odyssey USA

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Update:

Still running really well. Have recently done a spark plug check and they all look good, no signs of erosion or fouling. Map2 is what I am running and happy with it.

I recently had the chance to drive a 2020 2.0L and this really made me realize how much stronger the JB4 tune makes the JL accelerate. It's probably the best mod I've made to my JL from a daily driving enjoyment perspective.

Mileage hovers between 20.3 and 22.1 mpg depending on my mood and the temperature - I am convinced I get a slight uptick when colder out but that might be me being more gentle on the throttle to avoid tire spin.

If you've got a 2.0 you are missing out on a lot more enjoyable driving experience.
Sounds good. I think my only reservation is with overlanding reliability but my mind also thinks the boost won’t be coming in much unless I need rpm for mud and sand. Then I wonder about cooling capacity in those situations that are the outliers.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to turbo engines but I have a basic and mechanical understanding of how everything works. I've got a JB4 that I'll be installing along with a Mishimoto oil catch can, Mishimoto intake, Mishimoto intercooler pipe, Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve and a Hikeit x9 throttle controller.
What map should I run? Or do I need to customize it for all the mods I'm doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Sounds good. I think my only reservation is with overlanding reliability but my mind also thinks the boost won’t be coming in much unless I need rpm for mud and sand. Then I wonder about cooling capacity in those situations that are the outliers.
Ok, so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to turbo engines but I have a basic and mechanical understanding of how everything works. I've got a JB4 that I'll be installing along with a Mishimoto oil catch can, Mishimoto intake, Mishimoto intercooler pipe, Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve and a Hikeit x9 throttle controller.
What map should I run? Or do I need to customize it for all the mods I'm doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Map1 on 91 octane, map2 on 93 octane. I have the same setup as you without the Hikeit and it all works well together. It's a lot of fun to drive ;)

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Map1 on 91 octane, map2 on 93 octane. I have the same setup as you without the Hikeit and it all works well together. It's a lot of fun to drive ;)
Very cool. Here in Texas most gas stations have 87, 89, and 93. Every once in a while you can find E85. I know that these Jeeps can run any grade with 91 or higher being the recommendation, but from day one I've been running 93 so I'll probably run map 2. Although if I get the chance to run E85 I think it's like map 5 or something, I'll definitely try it. Hopefully some custom tunes will be out for specified add on's.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Very cool. Here in Texas most gas stations have 87, 89, and 93. Every once in a while you can find E85. I know that these Jeeps can run any grade with 91 or higher being the recommendation, but from day one I've been running 93 so I'll probably run map 2. Although if I get the chance to run E85 I think it's like map 5 or something, I'll definitely try it. Hopefully some custom tunes will be out for specified add on's.
Tank of 93 with a couple gallons of E85 gets you into Map3. Problem with pure E85 is you burn a lot more so range goes down, but it is typically cheaper.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So update..... Still happy with my combination of JB4, @Mishimoto IC pipe and air intake, and GFB's DV+. I am running on Map2 with 91 or 93 octane (93 has gotten a bit hard to find lately and when it can be found it's $1 a gallon over regular).

No codes, no issues on traffic and long drives. Really happy with it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So update..... Still happy with my combination of JB4, @Mishimoto IC pipe and air intake, and GFB's DV+. I am running on Map2 with 91 or 93 octane (93 has gotten a bit hard to find lately and when it can be found it's $1 a gallon over regular).

No codes, no issues on traffic and long drives. Really happy with it.
Good to hear it works well with 91 octane. :like:
Sponsored