Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
With my previous Jeeps I had front bumpers made, but this time I want to get an aftermarket one, why are some 300.00 and some 900.00, same style and specs. Is it thickness of steel, how it’s welded or something else? And is LOD a good brand?
Thanks
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
With my previous Jeeps I had front bumpers made, but this time I want to get an aftermarket one, why are some 300.00 and some 900.00, same style and specs. Is it thickness of steel, how it’s welded or something else? And is LOD a good brand?
Thanks
Love the LOD products. Great engineering and lifetime warranty.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Thanks
Pricing depends on a couple things. Some of the front bumpers carryover from the JK so they are often cheaper. Have to be careful with these though as I recieved one that did not fit.

Also is it American made or an ebay company bumper? This will impact price and sometimes quality.

I know many people bash Smittybilt but in my experience they have the thickest, toughest, coating out of any brand I've owned or scene.

LOD is a well respected brand but is one of the higher priced options.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
On my JLUR I went with the following:

Redrock 4x4 Attack stubby front bumper

Iron Cross rear bumper with tire carrier.

So far I really like both. They have only been on a few days so I am not sure how well the coating stands up yet.

The Iron Cross rear bumper is heavy duty. The carrier and rear tailgate open in one motion which is really nice. The tire carrier works with the back up camera but you have to buy an additional bracket.

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I'd love to....but I doubt anyone would be willing to pay what it costs in terms of labor. I think I totaled up 70 hours of labor in mine by the time I relocated the A/C lines, cut 6.5" off the frame, got rid of the factory sway bar in favor of a Currie Anti-Rock, modified the grill, etc. And I haven't even started designing a valence that bolts on and holds the factory fogs (not sure I'll ever actually do that anyway but I have a cool design idea in my head for it).
I read about it... I’m too chicken to cut the frame. ...and you’re right $$$.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Yep...explains why I'm still working in rocket propulsion rather than opening an offroad fab shop. The latter would be my preference but it wouldn't pay the bills nearly as easily.
That’s badass. Maybe your retirement career.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a big fan of @lodoffroad bumpers... they're pricey as @Carlton mentioned, but well worth it in my opinion. I have their full-width Destroyer up front & I love it. Their packaging is incredibly protective.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Maybe....been buying tooling for my home shop kind of for that purpose for quite some time. Want a Piranha really bad. $25K for a 65 ton is a little steep right now though. :(

That was badass. What would that reduce your fab time to?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Buy the LOD bumpers from Northridge with coupon code MISSYOU. Free shipping and the code nets you something like 15% off. All my LOD parts have shipped within a week or so.