Sponsored

Bumper mount and coax wiring under Jeep?

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Cobra CB from Cool Tech on the way in the mail right now. I am already thinking through my mounting options in addition to the tailgate mount provided for in the Cool Tech kit.

I have an aftermarket rear bumper (JCR Offroad) and I am thinking of mounting the antenna in one of the holes in bumper provided for a hi-lift jack which I don't have or need. But I have several questions for you guys:

1) I understand that I'd need to sand off the powder coating off the inside of the already drilled hole. Would I also need to sand it off on the top of the bumper too? (that's a deal breaker)

2) Assuming sanding just the hole is the deal, I've not head of anyone running the coax under the Jeep and into the tub closer to the passenger footwell. Any reason not to work this way?

3) Lastly, I purchased the quick disconnect and the antenna spring. Any particular order they should be attached to the firestick? I'm assuming quick disconnect to the base first, with the spring, then the antenna.

Thanks

Bob
Sponsored

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am planning on mounting my Fire stick antenna in the hole on the right side of the steel bumper. I believe this hole is provided for CB antenae mounting. I am also going to run my coax under the jeep and into the passenger foot well through the foot well plug and seal it with silicone. I don’t see any reason why that would not work as well as what you’re talking about running the cable up under the jeep as long as you get it out-of-the-way. I only use a CB on long trips or Offroad so therefore I have a quick disconnect that I will put on my antenna so that the only thing will be sticking out of my bumper is the other part of the disconnect. On my JK I had the spring on top of my stud and then the disconnect but I will probably put the spring on top of the disconnect when Mounted on my front bumper which is actually the ideal location to mount a CB antenna according to the people that sale the radios from what I have read on thir web sites. At least they say to mount it toward the front of the jeep but the front bumper with the whole already drilled in it is ideal. Supposedly one of the worst places to mount an antenna is by the spare tire although that’s where mine was mounted on my JK and then I got the Teleflex heavy duty tire carrier which had an additional mrount on it and it was not crammed so much up around the spare tire. I know it does not really look good on the front bumper but I will only have it there when want to use it. The CB radio that I will be using in my JL Rubicon is the midland handheld which converts to a regular CB radio and plugs into the cigarette lighter. So when I am not using it the only thing that will be in the jeep is the coax And the quick disconnect on the front bumper.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Silly question since I don't have the radio or antenna kit in my hands yet, but what diameter of a hole is necessary for the coax mounting?

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Silly question since I don't have the radio or antenna kit in my hands yet, but what diameter of a hole is necessary for the coax mounting?
1/2 inch hole will let you mount the stud for the coax which is the size of the hole that came pre-drilled on the Mopar steel front bumper.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
...Mounted on my front bumper which is actually the ideal location to mount a CB antenna according to the people that sale the radios from what I have read on thir web sites. At least they say to mount it toward the front of the jeep but the front bumper with the whole already drilled in it is ideal. Supposedly one of the worst places to mount an antenna is by the spare tire although that’s where mine was mounted on my JK...
Anyone else had issues with mounting the antenna on the front bumper and then the forward collision avoidance SEES IT! and goes off when accelerating from lights, etc?! All this is "seen" from the front window, just under the rear view mirror....

Thoughts?
CaptStarboard
Sponsored