JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had issues on a JLU Sahara with the rear passenger sensor going off due to the bump stop. I have 275/70/17 tires with Quadratec 41 rims (17x8.5 with 5.2in Backspace (+10 offset). I got these last August 2020 with no issue. In January 2021, the rear passenger sensor would trigger when the car is put in gear. The dealership changed the sensor and it’s still doing it. They said they fixed it by tightening the bump stop and that it won’t be a permanent fix since I have an oversize tire. They said oversize tire causes the vibration and the sensor triggers. But most of the time the sensor triggers when I put the car in reverse without moving. I was wondering if anyone had this same issue.

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Uhhhh what sensor?

Ah I figured it out. Yea there’s nothing wrong with your Jeep, your tire sticks out too far. The backup safety sensors will pick that out and all you can do is raise it up higher.

OP
OP
JLOrange

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Uhhhh what sensor?

Ah I figured it out. Yea there’s nothing wrong with your Jeep, your tire sticks out too far. The backup safety sensors will pick that out and all you can do is raise it up higher.
Thanks for the response. How do I raise up the spare tire in the back so the sensor does not read it? It’s not an overly large tire. I have seen larger tires than mine without this issue. Thanks!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Thanks for the response. How do I raise up the spare tire in the back so the sensor does not read it? It’s not an overly large tire. I have seen larger tires than mine without this issue. Thanks!
Look for a spare tire relocation bracket. The wheel offset is the problem, it sticks out further than stock.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had issues on a JLU Sahara with the rear passenger sensor going off due to the bump stop. I have 275/70/17 tires with Quadratec 41 rims (17x8.5 with 5.2in Backspace (+10 offset). I got these last August 2020 with no issue. In January 2021, the rear passenger sensor would trigger when the car is put in gear. The dealership changed the sensor and it’s still doing it. They said they fixed it by tightening the bump stop and that it won’t be a permanent fix since I have an oversize tire. They said oversize tire causes the vibration and the sensor triggers. But most of the time the sensor triggers when I put the car in reverse without moving. I was wondering if anyone had this same issue.

Thanks,
Joe
This may or may not work but, is your valve stem viewable in rear camera? If yes, rotate spare so valve stem is on top. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This may or may not work but, is your valve stem viewable in rear camera? If yes, rotate spare so valve stem is on top. 🤷‍♂️
The camera has nothing to do with the backup sensors.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is a common issue when moving up to larger tires / different backspacing wheels. It can be fixed by one of two ways;

1. Try rotating the wheel on the rear spare tire mount. Test to see if it still sets off the sensor. It might take one or two or more tries, but it worked for me once I found the ideal position. Something about the position of the wheel on the mount in relation to the sensor (perhaps the wheel weights?)...

2. Get a spare tire relocation bracket/mount which will move the spare tire carrier up.

OP
OP
JLOrange

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
Thanks everyone. I will try rotating the tire tomorrow or Monday since I’m out of town. Hopefully, that works. Like I said my buddy has same size tire with rubicon extreme rims that stick out further and he has no issue.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Thanks everyone. I will try rotating the tire tomorrow or Monday since I’m out of town. Hopefully, that works. Like I said my buddy has same size tire with rubicon extreme rims that stick out further and he has no issue.
It won't.

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
Did it work? Mine started to doing this just out of the blue yesterday.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
While I won't say it has completely resolved this issue for me (35" tires, -00mm offset wheels), I rotated the tire so that the valve stem is at the 12 o'clock position and the warning went from steady state while in reverse to only sounding when I turn the wheel while backing. YMMV.

OP
OP
JLOrange

JLOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 2.0 turbo JL
I wanted to wait a week before I reposted to make sure, but it seems like it corrected itself a bit. The sensor falsely activated itself twice in a week. It use to be every time the car was in reverse. I don’t know why. If it becomes worse, I will rotate the spare. Thanks everyone!

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase