Bummed after soft top vandalized :/

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But d×mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Anyone have good links to aftermarket gloveboxes or locking hood latches?

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
That’s horrible. I am sorry. Nurse to nurse thank you for your dedication to our profession. Stay safe.
Sponsored

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
You parked on 16th by the Maritime Hotel? It may be worth putting it in a garage for the duration.

I've had good luck finding parking with SpotHero.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my JK and soft top, not only did I never lock it but also left 2 rolls of quarters in the console. I hoped if they got enough for a fix or a bottle they’d be happy with their “haul” and just leave without damaging.

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

Hey, thanks for helping out during the pandemic and sorry for what happened.
Same thing happened to me back in '16 in Queens, unfortunately they slashed my
soft top windows to get inside and stole nothing but a pack of cigarettes!

After reviewing a nearby building's security footage saw it was a group of kids with nothing
better to do. SMH!

You being from out of town I would recommend a garage or look for ads (i.e. craigslist)
for parking spaces for rent, some people rent their garages/driveways... anything that's
off street and away from foot traffic.

Thanks again for giving us a hand!

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that its a bummer and I feel you, I had the same happened to me years ago with my old TJ and it got me so angry, I was partly blaming myself but its a jeep and its more bound to happen cause they know its usually an easy shot. From that point on, I learned that the only best defense against theft is actually to leave everything openable and NOT locked and keep your valuables with you at all times.

I had other peeps get into it after the first time, and all they did is leave the compartments open and the rugs moved a bit etc from their rummaging, but they didn't take anything cause there was nothing and they didn't start chewing at anything to get to stuff (like the first time where they broke the glove compartment etc) cause this time it was all open and easy access and there was nothing of value in the jeep. They even pulled the floor rug corners in the front to see if I had my radio face-plate hidden there cause some people do that, but I had my face-plate with me. Granted it becomes more of an issue if you have upgrades a lot like CB radios etc that they could always try to pull out etc which is another reason I try to install things unless I can take them with me or take off when not offroading etc, but sometimes its hard. at on e point years ago, you even had to weld your off-road lights/Nuts to the plate once tightened cause peeps would steel them, crazy world.

but otherwise if you want you can install a few strong boxes, a number of brands exists but Tuffy is a well known one for example, they have a box that you can install in the console large storage and its pretty good and would keep away the typical Junky theft etc. But keep in mind also that its a known design, they may look for it or know how to quickly take the whole box out by breaking everything etc. I always go by the modus that if they want to steal it, they will always find a way, just have to make sure there is another one easier than mine or at least that they think so...;)

If you can have a custom box hidden somewhere they wouldnt think to search cause its not the usual spots people put them, then you have a good chance of keeping your box safe. Think of the old Pirates and treasures, their best bet was to be the only ones who would know where the Treasure chest is hidden, if people knew it existed and where, someone would find a way to get to it somehow and if they didn't succeed the first time, they could always come back...and we don't want that feeling either, so if no one knows its there but you, time is their worst enemy, searching for something they're not sure is there, is not very appealing for them....;)

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I'm on Long Island. I don't know how long you're here, but if you need tools or a hand fixing it, I can come masked and sporting sanitizer. I'm sure we can get you a new glovebox if you'd accept it.

Last edited:

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But d×mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
You feel like you were violated, which you were. I went on a cruise with my wife a
few years back and left my Mustang Conv. parked in a garage opposite the
ships departure tour. After returning, I notices the top had a large knife cut
inside and a note was left on the windshield by the San Diego police with a case
number. They were looking for Whatever so they could buy drugs. The car had
nothing inside, Damages over $4500 since the tops frame was also bent. Repairs
were made under collision claim, but it still cost me the $1000.00 deductible.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
As a fellow front liner thanks for what you’re doing and stay safe.

Sorry about the Jeep. That sucks. From what I know of New York a lot of folks leave their doors unlocked and consoles open to show they are empty. But then of course you are dealing with strangers rummaging through your car in covid central. Ugh. So sorry.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I hate a damn thief. I hope they slipped and broke there neck somewhere. Sad a man/woman works hard for there stuff just for someone to steal it. I’ve been lucky I reckon where I live. I go a lot without the top on and never had a issue evening leaving the Jeep topless. Obviously I leave nothing of much value in there just in case.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, thank you for your volunteerism And I am sorry that this happened to you.

there was a story on the Denver news about a woman who planted some trees in her yard to beautify her house‘S curb-appeal for sale. Whey is she selling after 20-years? To pay medical bills for her daughter who had extremely expensive cancer treatments over the last year......

Thieves stole the newly planted bushes.

I am absolutely in favor of a law that sAYD: “steal once and the courts will deal with it in the ordinary course. Steal twice and the second conviction is 10-years in a labor camp breaking rocks outside, rain, snow, hail, heat, cold.”

I’m sick of it.

Last edited:

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
A friend leaves his glove box and center console open when he parks in the city, along with a sticky pad note that says "there is nothing of value in this car". It's rare that someone will take a chance and break into a vehicle just in case theres something in it. sorry they chose yours.

jeepable

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S White
Thanks for being on the front lines for us. This kind of thing frustrates the hell of out me. I'm glad they didn't mess things up too badly, hopefully it won't cost too much to fix. Stay healthy!

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I like to have an NRA sticker in the window and leave an 'empty holster in plane view. Purely for the psychological effect. If nothing else they will be looking over their shoulder while pillaging.

Then again they better pray I don't walk up on them in the process. and show them some good old fashion justice.

My wife is a 30 year career nurse as well. Sorry the dirty low life bottom feeders invaded your Jeep.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

20200516_181218.jpg

20200516_181234.jpg

20200516_181355.jpg
ALWAYS A-WIPES running around !!! :swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:
Sponsored