Bummed after soft top vandalized :/

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
How sad and pathetic. Thank you for your service to humanity. People like this are disgusting garbage.... I’m sure they saw Missouri plates and thought you were hiding a goldmine of treasures....geez.
Sponsored

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
So sorry this happened to you. And thank you for going to NYC to help!
With the out of state plates they may have been looking for a gun. The soft top makes a tempting target but they'll just smash the side window out on a hardtop if they want in. Also look at the Tazer JL device, it will allow the factory alarm to trigger if the hood is opened.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In my city there has been more than a 100% increase to theft from cars so far this year compared to last year. Dozens every weekend. They catch some on security cameras. Most break ins are occurring in apartment building parking lots where it is a target rich environment. Amazing how some people are stupid enough to leave keys, wallets, credit cards in them overnight.
I made a suggestion to the police on how to dramatically reduce them - they said they would take it under advicement. I said have volunteers sitting in apartment building lots with Wranglers minus doors and tops. Have the volunteers sit inside them with shotguns. One way or the other problem solved.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
I always wondered why people living in high break in areas even bother locking their cars. I would be willing to bet anything someone has in their glove box or center console isn't worth the time, money and effort of replacing a broken window.

Not that its the right way to do things, but I only tend to lock it when in an area with foot traffic and if I will only be away for an hour or few, and that's only if I have anything of remote value in the vehicle at the time.

Sitting unattended with anything less than a cheap pair of sunglasses, some change, pens, trashbags, etc. I much rather have someone check the door, have all the dome lights go on, and quickly open the unlocked console and glove box and decide there isnt anything in there.
I always knew these were a risk for break ins, but never thought of leaving it unlocked in the 1.5 years I've had it.... that's solid advice!

That seems to be the consensus here. Never would have thought of this.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Sorry for your loss especially given your occupation, if you start a gofundme I am willing to pitch in for replacing your hardware.
That's amazing, thank you for the offer. I think I'm going to eat the cost and move on.. to be honest there's a good chance I would have snapped the handle off myself if I had tried to open it and forgot it was locked

You know which handles didn't break were the fold down seat handles on the rear seats. The theif folded down the seats and rummaged around, and im sure they weren't gentle. I hear those handles break for nothing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
In my city there has been more than a 100% increase to theft from cars so far this year compared to last year. Dozens every weekend. They catch some on security cameras. Most break ins are occurring in apartment building parking lots where it is a target rich environment. Amazing how some people are stupid enough to leave keys, wallets, credit cards in them overnight.
I made a suggestion to the police on how to dramatically reduce them - they said they would take it under advicement. I said have volunteers sitting in apartment building lots with Wranglers minus doors and tops. Have the volunteers sit inside them with shotguns. One way or the other problem solved.
:LOL:

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Curious, did they climb through the rear of the vehicle to get to the front?
Yeah, they climbed right through the rear quarter panel, folded the back seats down and made their way through. This person had some flexibility lol

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I’ll start off by saying, Thanks for what you do and stay safe. How unfortunate, this honestly ticks me off. As a LEO, I’m annoyed that these people have been let out the jail system to run wild. Expect even more of this than usual across the country, until we can round up all these people, put them back and keep them in jail.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
How sad and pathetic. Thank you for your service to humanity. People like this are disgusting garbage.... I’m sure they saw Missouri plates and thought you were hiding a goldmine of treasures....geez.
So here's the weird thing: the jeep IS a goldmine of treasures! The theif made off with my drill, set of screwdrivers, and a set of sockets I kept in the back for on the road repairs/ off-roading mishaps. They also stole a few other small items here and there. That sucks bigtime.

BUT! I'm counting my blessings because while they rifled through my go-bag that was in there, they didn't take a thing! My hatchet, tent, cookware, stove, and sleeping bag were all accounted for. Handheld CB? Still there. Uniden police scanner? Still there! Winch controller, tree saver straps, Kevlar gloves, and GPS?? ALL THERE :whew:

They did open up my full bottle of tide detergent and pour it all over like it was gasoline and they were gonna torch the thing, but hey... tide on cloth is no problem in my book.

After I found out what happened, I took everything out and stashed it inside. And yes I probably looked like the second person to steal an armload of stuff from that jeep in 24 hours, walking down the sidewalk with my bag of cookware, tent, sleeping bag, and an armload of radios.... :bandit::LOL:

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I always knew these were a risk for break ins, but never thought of leaving it unlocked in the 1.5 years I've had it.... that's solid advice!

That seems to be the consensus here. Never would have thought of this.
Yep I rarely lock any soft top. And carry nothing in your Jeep of value :like:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So here's the weird thing: the jeep IS a goldmine of treasures! The theif made off with my drill, set of screwdrivers, and a set of sockets I kept in the back for on the road repairs/ off-roading mishaps. They also stole a few other small items here and there. That sucks bigtime.

BUT! I'm counting my blessings because while they rifled through my go-bag that was in there, they didn't take a thing! My hatchet, tent, cookware, stove, and sleeping bag were all accounted for. Handheld CB? Still there. Uniden police scanner? Still there! Winch controller, tree saver straps, Kevlar gloves, and GPS?? ALL THERE :whew:

They did open up my full bottle of tide detergent and pour it all over like it was gasoline and they were gonna torch the thing, but hey... tide on cloth is no problem in my book.

After I found out what happened, I took everything out and stashed it inside. And yes I probably looked like the second person to steal an armload of stuff from that jeep in 24 hours, walking down the sidewalk with my bag of cookware, tent, sleeping bag, and an armload of radios.... :bandit::LOL:
It's probably easy to pawn those items they took?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Thanks for helping out NYC and sorry that our politicians have gotten so soft on crime that unfortunately circumstances like yours are very common these days. Where were you parked?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
^^ this is such a senseless and d**k thing to do. Sorry ur dealing with this after giving so much to come to this area and help. I’m with @plex . Would be happy to help contribute to a “clean it up” fund.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Someone broke into my soft top today in NYC and snapped off the locked glovebox handle looking for cash... they rummaged through everything and made a mess. Luckily the soft top wasn't damaged, they just yanked the windows out in the back and left them there. It all snapped together again with no problem. But d×mn...

Im an ICU nurse in NYC helping out. Granted, my soft top is more at home in rural Missouri, and driving it here to NYC was probably a poor choice. But the thought of getting a day or two off and being able to go topless in upstate NY when the weather is good won me over.

The same way that after I first got stuck without a winch I installed a winch, now I want to upgrade glovebox to something tougher, and get some locking hood latches to make it harder to get at the good parts of my baby.

Anyone have good links to aftermarket gloveboxes or locking hood latches?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bummed after soft top vandalized :/ {filename}

I just installed the Lock’er Down center console safe today. Check it out. Sorry about what happened to you today; that sucks so bad!
Sponsored

Last edited: