Sponsored

Bull bar vs. No Bull bar?

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Another reason besides weight and style in my case... one is I ordered the front camera... I posted a separate thread hoping for real world views from cams shooting thru bull bars.

I am seriously looking at the Rock Hard Aluminum Patriot mid length bumper because I will be towing this behind my Class C RV. Weight is definitely a premium as I will be adding a winch, taking the back seats out of the 2dr and doing other weight savings mods to compensate for the 'fun' stuff I want to add.
I’ve got the full width Patriot with bull bar and winch on mine. Order it with the mounting points for your tow bar-works great for pulling behind the camper👍
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeffery

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2-door, and 1987 YJ with 427 SBC
When pulling someone else out, I’ve used my bull bar by pushing it up against a tree to hold the vehicle, especially when its sloppy out.

Puts all the winch stress on the bull bar, and trees do not move.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The ability to add a bull bar is actually one of the [many] reasons I want to replace my stock plastic bumper. They just look so much better, IMO, with a small/mid size one.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Do the bolt on ones really have much stability in an impact situation? Seems like the bolts are the weak point, which is why I have always preferred bumpers with integrated bull bars.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Do the bolt on ones really have much stability in an impact situation? Seems like the bolts are the weak point, which is why I have always preferred bumpers with integrated bull bars.
That's why I put mine on with double-sided tape! Everyone knows that the best Jeep upgrades are the stick-on ones! :CWL: (j/k)

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
https://www.truebil.com/blog/4-reasons-why-bull-bars-should-be-avoided-in-vehicles

1. Bull-bars make crumple zones ineffective by transmitting crash energy directly to the body structure, thus causing injuries and death to the occupants.
  2. Bull-bars may interfere with airbags from opening during accidents by upsetting the sensors during a crash.
  3. Bull-bars are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and two wheeler riders. Especially when cars are being designed to reduce the impact of a crash on pedestrians, bull-bars cause serious injuries and death to other road users as they often jut out of a car during a crash.
This is a bunch of rationalizing nonsense from the buttocks. The complete absence of facts to back up this conjecture is a big tell. Of course, SEOs don't care about facts.

1. In our case, this would transmit more energy directly to the frame rather than the body. In the case of the vehicles and dinky bullbars shown, I'm thinking any difference would be negligible.
2. Sensors don't have feelings and cannot be upset. IOW, no, they won't
3. *If* anything, they'd be *less*dangerous due to their smoother shape and deflective properties vs. absorbing the brunt of a winch w/a hook, a grille, etc. How many pedestrians get hit by large, bullbar-totin' SUVs, anyway? That sounds like a problem to be solved elsewhere.
4. This contradicts point 1--can't have it both ways. Besides, this is what bumpers do already.

Sponsored

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
I like mine... very reasonable height. Worked perfect for the 22" light bar
Jeep Wrangler JL Bull bar vs. No Bull bar? Jeep front bumper winch.JPG

c7j6y1

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUD "Bender" '22 Silverado RST "Reaper"
Occupation
Emergency vehicle technician.
Protected the grille and engine bay, sorta. I guess at higher speeds there’s diminishing returns.

E04C529C-9AD9-42AB-B442-4D39CEA3233F.jpeg
What bumper/grille guard is that?
Sponsored