Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm looking to upgrade my front bumper and am wondering about pro's/con's (real life experiences) using bumper with bull bar. I personally am not a fan of their looks and the added weight for little perceived function.

I know they help protect the vehicle from animal collisions but the short bull bars on Jeeps would seem not to do much. The three times I have struck a deer, the collision has always been around the front corner/fender area... never a head on.

Interested in your thoughts... I can see that some designs might protect aux lights depending on mounting configuration.
Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
They don't weigh that much. They also provide some protection during front-end impacts (deer, cars, mother-in-law, etc).

I had one on my TJ that saved my grill during a front-end impact once

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Another reason besides weight and style in my case... one is I ordered the front camera... I posted a separate thread hoping for real world views from cams shooting thru bull bars.

I am seriously looking at the Rock Hard Aluminum Patriot mid length bumper because I will be towing this behind my Class C RV. Weight is definitely a premium as I will be adding a winch, taking the back seats out of the 2dr and doing other weight savings mods to compensate for the 'fun' stuff I want to add.

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
Aren't bull bars illegal in some states?

https://www.truebil.com/blog/4-reasons-why-bull-bars-should-be-avoided-in-vehicles

1. Bull-bars make crumple zones ineffective by transmitting crash energy directly to the body structure, thus causing injuries and death to the occupants.
  2. Bull-bars may interfere with airbags from opening during accidents by upsetting the sensors during a crash.
  3. Bull-bars are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and two wheeler riders. Especially when cars are being designed to reduce the impact of a crash on pedestrians, bull-bars cause serious injuries and death to other road users as they often jut out of a car during a crash.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Personally I went back and forth putting one on, then taking it off. In the end I like having it there and left it on because in the rare act that an animal decided to leap in front of me, it will be nice to have something there. (I live where I drive past - hopefully not through - deer every day).

As for 'weight', there really isn't any additional, bars aren't heavy.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like my bull bar, added protection and I've already hit a tree and a big wall/boulder driving on ice.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Aren't bull bars illegal in some states?

https://www.truebil.com/blog/4-reasons-why-bull-bars-should-be-avoided-in-vehicles

1. Bull-bars make crumple zones ineffective by transmitting crash energy directly to the body structure, thus causing injuries and death to the occupants.
  2. Bull-bars may interfere with airbags from opening during accidents by upsetting the sensors during a crash.
  3. Bull-bars are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and two wheeler riders. Especially when cars are being designed to reduce the impact of a crash on pedestrians, bull-bars cause serious injuries and death to other road users as they often jut out of a car during a crash.
Well, if the Indian government is banning them, I'll go tear mine off asap.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Bull-bars are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and two wheeler riders. Especially when cars are being designed to reduce the impact of a crash on pedestrians, bull-bars cause serious injuries and death to other road users as they often jut out of a car during a crash.
Never mind the 2-ton+ vehicle that just hit them. Now taller vehicles are under assault because of soft targets in the road. People just don't get that putting up a hand is not going to stop a moving vehicle on a dime.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Oh just full send on it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bull bar vs. No Bull bar? download

I think if it's bolt on it's just a damage multipier. If it's integrated / welded on I think it can help. I went with a fairly low on a stubby just as a bit of winch protection. Other than that, I'd opt out.
Sponsored