Sponsored

Built a Wiring Harness for Aftermarket Backup Lights in Smittybilt XRC Gen2 Rear Bumper - Is this Correct Wiring???

mikster

First Name
Miklos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl - Mohito
Hey everyone,

I have my Smittybilt XRC Gen2 rear bumper coming in next week and I thought I'd get ahead of the game and build my wiring harness for the rear bumper backup lights. I've researched how to build a wiring harness, but as I'm new to wiring (and soldering.......OMG I had to practice a lot to become even a little bit better at soldering lol) I want to make sure I've built the harness correctly - which I'm looking for feedback from you!!! I built the wiring harness for a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited that has the four OE aux switch option built in.

The pictures I've included in this post, of the harness I've built, provides two capabilities. One - the aftermarket lights will turn on automatically with the backup lights, when I'm backing up. Two - I can use aux switch three (four is already used) to turn on the lights whenever I want.

My wiring harness includes a SPDT relay, diodes and an in-line fuse (5 AMP).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and feedback - particularly if the wiring is correct/incorrect; and if you have any thoughts on making my wiring harness even better, please let me know!!!

Cheers!

1 wiring - T Connection.jpg

2 wiring - T Connection w Diodes.jpg

3 wiring - full backup lights wiring harness.jpg
Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
just a note, be sure you used rosin core solder, not pipe solder.
it looks like the wiring arrangement will work, I’m interested to see if the extra tap to the reverse lamps throws any codes. I may be doing the exact same mod.
use shrink tubing to cover splices, some split loom to protect exposed wires.

OP
OP
mikster

mikster

First Name
Miklos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Jl - Mohito
just a note, be sure you used rosin core solder, not pipe solder.
it looks like the wiring arrangement will work, I’m interested to see if the extra tap to the reverse lamps throws any codes. I may be doing the exact same mod.
use shrink tubing to cover splices, some split loom to protect exposed wires.
Thanks for the info on the solder! I have shrink tubing and split look all ready to go!!!

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
the aux. switches have relays and fuses built in, so I'm not sure that adding a second set will do anything other than make things more complicated.
there are other types of diodes that are more suited to this application, one kind in particular that I plan on using is the roadmaster with the dual in(from aux switch & from hot lead of tail lights)/single out (to the aux light)

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Fuses in circuits are there to protect the wire mostly. The # 1 and 2 switches are fused at 40 amps. If I were to connect a auxiliary light system needing about 15 amps max my 40 amp fuse would not protect the lighter wire in the light harness properly, in this case I would install an additional fuse sized for the system I’ve installed.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L