Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. I recently added a 2.5" spacer lift. It had the pucks and longer control arms, but no shocks or coils. Here is my question: I recently picked up a set of fox shocks for cheap. Would it make sense for me to swap out my already existing rubicon shocks with these? I assume I would see some improvement. Has anyone else started with a spacer lift and built on from there?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Shock swaps are really easy to do yourself so I don’t see why not.

If these fox shocks are longer you probably should do it anyways since you don’t want to overextend your stock shocks.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have wondered the same thing...I have the RC budget boost which I’m super happy with but as you well know they use existing springs and shocks so I was thinking of swapping shocks to say Fox or similar and just get longer shocks and remove the spacers but not sure I would see an improvement over the factory shocks that are on my Jeep now.

OP
OP
Ryno77

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Shock swaps are really easy to do yourself so I don’t see why not.

If these fox shocks are longer you probably should do it anyways since you don’t want to overextend your stock shocks.
This was kind of my thought as well. In my mind it made sense. Lol. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done something similar.

Eventually I will be doing a full lift, I am just trying out a few heights to see where I want to end up.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
This was kind of my thought as well. In my mind it made sense. Lol. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done something similar.

Eventually I will be doing a full lift, I am just trying out a few heights to see where I want to end up.
I put a 1.5" Teraflex spacer lift w/bump stops on my Rubicon after switching up to 35" tires. In addition to the kit I added Icon shocks & steering stabilizer. I highly recommend upgrading to longer shocks for the travel and improved ride. The fox shocks you have on hand should do the trick, especially for a 2.5" spacer lift.

Down the line I also added an adjustable front track bar and adjustable front sway bar links to tighten up the steering. Still have the stock LCA's.

Good luck on your build

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryno77

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put a 1.5" Teraflex spacer lift w/bump stops on my Rubicon after switching up to 35" tires. In addition to the kit I added Icon shocks & steering stabilizer. I highly recommend upgrading to longer shocks for the travel and improved ride. The fox shocks you have on hand should do the trick, especially for a 2.5" spacer lift.

Down the line I also added an adjustable front track bar and adjustable front sway bar links to tighten up the steering. Still have the stock LCA's.

Good luck on your build
I've heard good things about the icon shocks. My buddy has a stage 2 setup. He says the ride is amazing.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have wondered the same thing...I have the RC budget boost which I’m super happy with but as you well know they use existing springs and shocks so I was thinking of swapping shocks to say Fox or similar and just get longer shocks and remove the spacers but not sure I would see an improvement over the factory shocks that are on my Jeep now.
If you remove the spacers you won’t have any lift anymore. Shocks don’t add lift.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If you remove the spacers you won’t have any lift anymore. Shocks don’t add lift.
Not remove the spacers just the shock extenders and go with longer better shocks than the factory ones

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Excuse the hijack, but I've got a similar scenario:

'20 JLUR
if I add a RC spacer lift, can I get away with using the stock Rubi shocks with the shock extensions that are provided with the lift? Mainly thinking for only a month or 2, then upgrading to the teraflex 9550 (Longer shocks & remove the shock extensions)when work picks back up.

probably not much off roading until things settle down, but would like to get things planned

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Excuse the hijack, but I've got a similar scenario:

'20 JLUR
if I add a RC spacer lift, can I get away with using the stock Rubi shocks with the shock extensions that are provided with the lift? Mainly thinking for only a month or 2, then upgrading to the teraflex 9550 (Longer shocks & remove the shock extensions)when work picks back up.

probably not much off roading until things settle down, but would like to get things planned
This is my plan, I have a Sahara and a 2.5” RC boost that uses existing shocks and springs and just spacer blocks and shock extenders so I was thinking of doing what you want to do with your shocks which is remove the extenders and put in longer better shocks but not sure the shocks would be better than factory, I only do light wheeling and most of it’s on the sand

Sponsored

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
This is my plan, I have a Sahara and a 2.5” RC boost that uses existing shocks and springs and just spacer blocks and shock extenders so I was thinking of doing what you want to do with your shocks which is remove the extenders and put in longer better shocks but not sure the shocks would be better than factory, I only do light wheeling and most of it’s on the sand
Yes, definitely go with the longer after market shocks. 2.5” inches of lift is substantial over stock. The shock extenders might be a good temporary solution, but your ride (and life of your shocks) will be much better with the upgrade from stock. Nice part of about a spacer lift is that you don’t have to worry about shocks being tuned to a specific coil rate so you can pick n choose based on what you want out of your ride.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, definitely go with the longer after market shocks. 2.5” inches of lift is substantial over stock. The shock extenders might be a good temporary solution, but your ride (and life of your shocks) will be much better with the upgrade from stock. Nice part of about a spacer lift is that you don’t have to worry about shocks being tuned to a specific coil rate so you can pick n choose based on what you want out of your ride.
What would be some good shocks to consider if it’s a daily driver and only do occasional light wheeling and beach running, I don’t rock crawl so most of my off roading is in wooded areas that have semi paved roads and then I run over sand at the beaches here in south texas.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
What would be some good shocks to consider if it’s a daily driver and only do occasional light wheeling and beach running, I don’t rock crawl so most of my off roading is in wooded areas that have semi paved roads and then I run over sand at the beaches here in south texas.
I'm running icon and think they're great for my DD, firmer than stock without feeling stiff. I've got buddies running Fox and Falcon shocks too on their DD Wranglers.
Sponsored