Building on a budget

Baja

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU 'Baja'
I have recently purchased my first Jeep and am excited to start building it into a trail rig/ daily driver. Any recommendations on how to build a capable rig without breaking the bank are much appreciated
I plan to start with a 2.5 lift and 35M/Ts. With plans to add on bumpers and more as I go.
Thanks,
Baja

B8EC94D6-3A0C-445A-8884-B94A8ADE0E76.jpeg
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Congrats on getting a Jeep.
Nothing wrong with building on a budget.
However, there are some things (e.g., bumpers, lift kits, etc.) where the price and quality is all over the map. Often somethings that are inexpensive are really junk that really don't work and cause all kind of headaches. Sometimes there is stuff that is $$$ and it is junk too. Luckily, for me I was able to find a local shop that steered me in the right direction (thanks Diezel!).

In the merchandise section, some folks are selling some really great stuff that has been lightly used (e.g,, a guy was sell a set of really nice bumpers for $400 that were over $1000 new).

Bottom line, it not how much $ an item is as it is how good the quality of the item.
A local club or local shop with an excellent reputation can really help. Of course there is this forum that can help as well.

OP
OP
Baja

Baja

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU 'Baja'
Congrats on getting a Jeep.
Nothing wrong with building on a budget.
However, there are some things (e.g., bumpers, lift kits, etc.) where the price and quality is all over the map. Often somethings that are inexpensive are really junk that really don't work and cause all kind of headaches. Sometimes there is stuff that is $$$ and it is junk too. Luckily, for me I was able to find a local shop that steered me in the right direction (thanks Diezel!).

In the merchandise section, some folks are selling some really great stuff that has been lightly used (e.g,, a guy was sell a set of really nice bumpers for $400 that were over $1000 new).

Bottom line, it not how much $ an item is as it is how good the quality of the item.
A local club or local shop with an excellent reputation can really help. Of course there is this forum that can help as well.
Thanks for the help. I realize as with anything you get what you pay for. so I’m trying to balance quality/price as well as do my research and read reviews.
Since I’m not looking to crawl or get to crazy I was looking at the rough country 2.5 suspension lift which I’ve heard good things about. Haven’t really decided on the tires ( again cost vs quality ) but I will definitely have to check out the merchandise section for other upgrades thanks for the tip on that!

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Of all the things that are critical on a Jeep, the lift kit is the most important, IMHO.
After that is the steering upgrade stuff.

My $0.15 worth on those two items:
  1. Rock Krawler for the Lift
  2. Steer Smart steering stuff.
Yes that stuff cost a little more, but those items are worth the extra $.

E4wd

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon 4xe
When you're modifying a 30 or 40 thousand dollar vehicle, I'd def say DO NOT skimp on your lift, or your tires. The lift is going to impact your love (or hate) of your new Jeep. Is avoid rough country unless your just doing a spacer lift. Rock Krawler, Metal cloak are great American companies, well worth the$$$. Heard good things about Rancho lifts as well. I'm running a Metal cloak game changer 2.5 and absolutely love it. Cheers to your new Jeep and if you have the ability I'd recommend installing yourself to be familiar with the parts/setup of the Jeep
Sponsored