Building JLUR, question about suspension/steel bumpers

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Hello everyone, I’m new here but have browsed many times before. I’ve previously owned an 87 YJ and currently have a 01 WJ. I’m about to build a 21 Unlimited Rubicon and had a question about the steel bumpers.
I’ve read that adding a hard top, towing package and steel bumper package all changes what suspension comes with it. My question is, does each package add to this or is it just one package needed to add? Example, if I get all three packages vs just the two without steel bumpers, would the suspension/springs etc. be the same or would the one with the bumpers be stronger.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There are multiple spring stiffness levels. I'm not sure how many but it's not just two levels of soft/stiff springs. So each package would add to the stiffness level. The one with the bumper will be slightly stronger however going with hard top & tow will put you on the strong side of the spectrum.

OP
OP
zdr

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
There are multiple spring stiffness levels. I'm not sure how many but it's not just two levels of soft/stiff springs. So each package would add to the stiffness level. The one with the bumper will be slightly stronger however going with hard top & tow will put you on the strong side of the spectrum.
Thank you. I was debating on getting plastic bumpers and putting steel on later but was concerned about sagging.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thank you. I was debating on getting plastic bumpers and putting steel on later but was concerned about sagging.
I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. I ordered Hard top, tow & plastic bumpers. Just received a Rival aluminum front bumper, haven't installed it yet. Went with aluminum to offset the springs issue (which I learned after I ordered). I weight tested the front and didn't find the sag too bad. I found my biggest sag problem is in the rear when I load up with overlanding gear, mainly food, water and recovery gear. I just installed AirLift bags in the springs which do lift the rear unloaded but I haven't loaded up the gear yet and taken it on the trails.

Getting the factory steel bumper will get you the springs you want, but if you want an aftermarket bumper (I wouldn't blame you) you're stuck with a pricey steel bumper. It's probably more cost effective to swap the springs for stiffer ones if you find it necessary.

dubb

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m thinking of selling my 2021 rubicon front and rear steel bumpers if interested.
Sponsored