Sponsored

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Totally understand where you're coming from, it's definitely an aggressive change to the interior.

In my case, Im going to be living in the Jeep full-time on the road, & using it as a mobile photography/videography home & office. I shoot around the clock, day & night, and take naps throughout. I really need the organization for myself, its going to be very helpful. I have a million little items & need to know where they all are at all times, especially at night when its pitch black out and my camera is shooting a time-lapse and I cant turn any lights on (which would ruin it).

The reason for the second platform is for emergency shelter, & nights where I wont be able to sleep in the rooftop tent during severe storms or insane wind. It also blocks all of my gear from view hopefully killing the temptation to break in.
Where are you going on your trip? My wife and I did 10k miles around the US, but the Jeep was totally stock and no RTT so the back was just a big pile of stuff held down with bungee cords. Not ideal.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
What would be the best material to use for this project? Surely something designed to last a king time and stand up to abuse wouldn’t be untreated wood.

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
What would be the best material to use for this project? Surely something designed to last a king time and stand up to abuse wouldn’t be untreated wood.
The best? Aluminum and carbon fiber would be nice, but I don't have the tools or money for that. I used a good quality plywood and sealed it with a polyurethane finish. The materials are pretty similar to kitchen or bathroom cabinets. I'm confident that it will hold up for a while.

Sponsored

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
First off...amazing work OP! Definitely enjoyed reading this thread.

A bit late but when i was reading some of the early posts talking about finding/building drawers I immediately thought of this company, shelvesthatslide : https://www.shelvesthatslide.com/

I used them recently for some custom slide out drawers in my bathroom...BIG ones that slide out of what used to be a big cabinet/closet kind of thing. They will build them to your spec and for someone like me who would have no problem taking the jeep apart and putting it back together but belongs no where near woodworking it was a slam dunk! You can choose diff grades of drawers/slides/etc. Made in the USA!

Might help someone else who is looking for a custom drawer after they build a frame.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
Here you go guys.

Hope its clear... Hit me up if you have any questions.

Im working on the second level platform for the back area now which will sit 20 inches higher than the lower one... I'll keep you guys posted about how thats coming along, and I should have photos to share later this week.

all the best,
Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) 20200630_161032
Thank you so much for posting. Very clear and such a huge time saver! Looks like this will be really not hard. Glue up some vinyl non-skid or just start with marine non-skid for a professional (waterproof) finish.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
At the risk of high-jacking the OP's thread... just bumbled across another DIY video that is a little simpler overall, but has some good thought put into it. Someone coming along later on this thread might find it a useful addition to the DIY spirit here...

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Hey James,

Regarding the Diabolical slipstream. The product is awesome but I’m removing it now for 2 reasons & still using one part of it elsewhere.

removing it because,
- I used to have a softop and it was necessary for security reasons. I traded someone for a hardtop now because I want even more security and better sound/insulation inside... mainly because I’ll be living in it full time. (Loved the soft top)
- also because I’m basically creating my own custom security enclosure (with drawers) designed exactly the way I want it :)

I’ll be adding the part of the diabolical slipstream to which bungy cords can attach to / the metal bars with the large holes. Check out this photo. I placed them on top of the cardboard as I was brainstorming.

-Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) 20200630_161032

THIS is interesting to me. They way you have the front seat down and the platform over top of it. I'm 6"5 and am thinking about creating a sleeping platform that would sit above one of the front seats like that so I'd have enough space.

Its about 21" or 1.75 Ft between the floor of the front seats and where the platform would sit over top of the laid back front seat.

My measurements are for the passenger side and includes removing the head rest.

I have a Tuffy Security Deck which I would keep, so I'd need to build a platform that went from the rear seats to the front dashboard basically.

I wonder if the 21" is too tall for support legs.

I'd probably have to have everything on hinges, including the support legs so I could fold it up reasonably while travelling.....

Same deal as you Lawrance, running a rooftop tent, but need the ability to sleep inside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_5317 copy

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_3154 2

Sponsored

mbperfection

First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Here you go guys.

Hope its clear... Hit me up if you have any questions.

Im working on the second level platform for the back area now which will sit 20 inches higher than the lower one... I'll keep you guys posted about how thats coming along, and I should have photos to share later this week.

all the best,
Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) 1609975808921
AWESOME WORK DONE !!!!
AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR PLAN. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I AM GOING TO DO THIS WEEKEND

XPLOR3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR WHITE
You are the man!!! Thank you so so so much for offering to do that for me. I do wish I got this message about a week ago lol :) I ended up building the platform from scratch.

The way it is now, I don't have any access to the rear storage area under the wooden platform in the back, so I still want to add a door with hinges possibly over there. The underseat storage area is perfect the way it is because i'm going to store Tripods, shoes and boots there. Don't need top access there, side is perfect.

Im about to start mocking up and designing the second platform Im going to build that will be at the height of the fridge (21 inches higher than the bottom one.)

That 2nd platform will hide everything underneath, as well as act as my backup sleep area in case of very bad weather when I cant use my roof-top tent.

Ive attached some photos of what i've build so far. I will carpet it all when done with everything. Also, the fridge i put in there is so damn big that it seems that the best place is by the door. It almost takes up the entire back when I put it there.

I want to build drawers myself in the back since everything I find online seems to be way too expensive but I have zero experience and that seems pretty intimidating. Any advice on that? Im open to all ideas :)

Thank you, Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) 1609975808921

Can’t you lower the fridge more inside the seats lower section?
mid you install it sideways?
I have an cfx45 a little bit smaller one zone fridge so you think it would fit the lower section?
Sponsored