LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4 door JL 2019
Im also still planning to carpet everything at the end, as well as add a few hinged openings such as for the rear bonus compartment under the wooden panel. :)

The way i have this planned right now, I will have to remove the rear bottom drawer to access that area, so I’ll keep stuff I rarely need over there.
Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey James,

Regarding the Diabolical slipstream. The product is awesome but I’m removing it now for 2 reasons & still using one part of it elsewhere.

removing it because,
- I used to have a softop and it was necessary for security reasons. I traded someone for a hardtop now because I want even more security and better sound/insulation inside... mainly because I’ll be living in it full time. (Loved the soft top)
- also because I’m basically creating my own custom security enclosure (with drawers) designed exactly the way I want it :)

I’ll be adding the part of the diabolical slipstream to which bungy cords can attach to / the metal bars with the large holes. Check out this photo. I placed them on top of the cardboard as I was brainstorming.

-Lawrence

4691CD9A-4E98-4754-B206-3ADDF6470426.jpeg
Removing the Slipstream makes perfect sense for more room. I wish I had that option.... I carry too many construction tools on a regular basis and already had my car broken into at a place called a gym...I don't think they have those any more...

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
You are the man!!! Thank you so so so much for offering to do that for me. I do wish I got this message about a week ago lol :) I ended up building the platform from scratch.

The way it is now, I don't have any access to the rear storage area under the wooden platform in the back, so I still want to add a door with hinges possibly over there. The underseat storage area is perfect the way it is because i'm going to store Tripods, shoes and boots there. Don't need top access there, side is perfect.

Im about to start mocking up and designing the second platform Im going to build that will be at the height of the fridge (21 inches higher than the bottom one.)

That 2nd platform will hide everything underneath, as well as act as my backup sleep area in case of very bad weather when I cant use my roof-top tent.

Ive attached some photos of what i've build so far. I will carpet it all when done with everything. Also, the fridge i put in there is so damn big that it seems that the best place is by the door. It almost takes up the entire back when I put it there.

I want to build drawers myself in the back since everything I find online seems to be way too expensive but I have zero experience and that seems pretty intimidating. Any advice on that? Im open to all ideas :)

Thank you, Lawrence

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7293.jpeg
I just finished fitting the front and back plywood as per your dimensions, and I seriously can't thank you enough. It was so much easier than I expected. Easily less than an afternoon's worth of work.

I chose to countersink the 6 bolts in the back piece and simplify the cutout for the cup holder. I also had to make an additional cut on both sides of the rear seat stud holes to accommodate a little buldge on either side of the Jeep.

I'm about to pick up some plywood and start working on a drawer system. I'll be sure to share pictures and dimensions along the way.
20200614_141823.jpg
20200614_141842.jpg

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just finished fitting the front and back plywood as per your dimensions, and I seriously can't thank you enough. It was so much easier than I expected. Easily less than an afternoon's worth of work.

I chose to countersink the 6 bolts in the back piece and simplify the cutout for the cup holder. I also had to make an additional cut on both sides of the rear seat stud holes to accommodate a little buldge on either side of the Jeep.

I'm about to pick up some plywood and start working on a drawer system. I'll be sure to share pictures and dimensions along the way.
20200614_141823.jpg
20200614_141842.jpg
Hey Csspar,

Nice work! Looks awesome!

The cup holder cutout, and the countersunk screws look great. I've decided to redo the back panel and countersink the screws as well after seeing yours :) :)

Another tip (I wish someone had told me earlier) is not to over tighten the 6 screw/bolts on the back portion because if will bend the wood and warp it ... thats caused by the rear center plastic storage area sitting higher than the metal car frame to which the back panel bolts in. The 3/4" plywood I had there has a pretty serious curve to it now. Back to Home Depot for me :) lol. In addition to a new panel, i'm going to add thick foam tape in that area to the left and right of the storage bin by the bolts.

Ive been working on the second platform for a bit now, and its looking pretty awesome. I attached a few photos of my progress on that. Any tips, suggestions, or advice on how I can make it better is totally welcome!! I have yet to finish or paint the wood.

I also just installed Hothead headliners onto the hardtop, including the rear window side panels which requires me to recut some of the wood for the top platform as well. The headliners are awesome by the way!!!!

Sharing the drawer system would be super helpful. Im going to begin working on that after I complete the upper platform. What drawer layout are you thinking about going with - 2 long ones, 4 smaller drawer (2 on left, 2 on right) , 1 long + 2 small, or something else?? Will you be using locking slides for them? Are you adding a slide out board or anything like that. Im super intimidated about building the drawer system. Ive never done anything even remotely that challenging with wood, but i'm up for it!!

Have an awesome day!!

all the best,
Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7978

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7931

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@LawrenceL I'm sure ether you have already, but if you search YouTube for "diy truck drawer", you should get some walk thrus. Of course some of these guys seem to have a full wood shop at their disposal, which I suspect is not the case for everyone!

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LawrenceL there is a thread on drawer build out here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-full-deck-drawer-system.44601/#post-1016401, I am sure that there is another one somewhere, but I cannot find it :headbang:
Thanks so much for sharing that thread with me. After reading that thread, Ive decided to get a pocket hole jig, and learn how to use it for this project. It will have a much cleaner look... I think I will also use pocket hole screws instead of the brackets i planned to use to connect the top platform to the lower one as well as for the drawers. (@4x4tographer, thanks for that awesome thread!)

Also investing in a router so that there wont be gaps between the wood panels where i'm adding hinges.

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LawrenceL I'm sure ether you have already, but if you search YouTube for "diy truck drawer", you should get some walk thrus. Of course some of these guys seem to have a full wood shop at their disposal, which I suspect is not the case for everyone!
Definitely going to be watching a lot of youtube videos before starting :) thank you so much! I think Ill be up to the drawers next week. Still so much to finish with these platforms. -Lawrence

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Thanks so much for sharing that thread with me. After reading that thread, Ive decided to get a pocket hole jig, and learn how to use it for this project. It will have a much cleaner look... I think I will also use pocket hole screws instead of the brackets i planned to use to connect the top platform to the lower one as well as for the drawers. (@4x4tographer, thanks for that awesome thread!)

Also investing in a router so that there wont be gaps between the wood panels where i'm adding hinges.
Pocket hole jigs work well for various things. You can get a simple one at Lowes for about $20 that you use with your own clamp or you can get the more expensive kits if you anticipate building a lot more stuff. You will need to buy the screws separately.

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Hey Csspar,

Nice work! Looks awesome!

The cup holder cutout, and the countersunk screws look great. I've decided to redo the back panel and countersink the screws as well after seeing yours :) :)

Another tip (I wish someone had told me earlier) is not to over tighten the 6 screw/bolts on the back portion because if will bend the wood and warp it ... thats caused by the rear center plastic storage area sitting higher than the metal car frame to which the back panel bolts in. The 3/4" plywood I had there has a pretty serious curve to it now. Back to Home Depot for me :) lol. In addition to a new panel, i'm going to add thick foam tape in that area to the left and right of the storage bin by the bolts.

Ive been working on the second platform for a bit now, and its looking pretty awesome. I attached a few photos of my progress on that. Any tips, suggestions, or advice on how I can make it better is totally welcome!! I have yet to finish or paint the wood.

I also just installed Hothead headliners onto the hardtop, including the rear window side panels which requires me to recut some of the wood for the top platform as well. The headliners are awesome by the way!!!!

Sharing the drawer system would be super helpful. Im going to begin working on that after I complete the upper platform. What drawer layout are you thinking about going with - 2 long ones, 4 smaller drawer (2 on left, 2 on right) , 1 long + 2 small, or something else?? Will you be using locking slides for them? Are you adding a slide out board or anything like that. Im super intimidated about building the drawer system. Ive never done anything even remotely that challenging with wood, but i'm up for it!!

Have an awesome day!!

all the best,
Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7931

The shelf looks great!

My plan is to put two drawers on the left side, and a stove-in-a-drawer thing on the right. Basically a box that slides out with a work surface, with a stove that slides out of it. I should also have room for a shallower drawer above that. I have a soft top so I'm going to make everything fit through the tailgate without having to open the back window.

I'm trying to keep the cost and weight down, so I'll either be using simple latching handles or external latches.

I used to be a cabinet maker so I do have some experience with this stuff, but I'm trying to make this build as simple and light as possible, so ultimately it should be pretty straightforward and easy.

Sponsored

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Oh I should also mention that I don't really have the "right" tools for the job, so everything is being cut with a circular saw and guide. No fancy woodshop stuff other than maybe a nail gun and staple gun.

csspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
The drawers are pretty much done! I ended up cheating and used a table saw and router for the drawers. I'm probably going to make some adjustable dividers and carpet the exterior. It's a little echoey inside the Jeep now. My stove's propane bottle sticks out a little too far so I'm going to get a hose extention thing and maybe upgrade to a 5lb tank. The stove is a little bit wobbly but it's definitely good enough for now. I might upgrade to some locking slides if it ends up being annoying.

I'll draw up some dimensions to share in the next few days.

Next I'm going to figure out where to secure my water and telescope.

I also threw in a couple pics of my new prototype camping/astronomy light. It's switchable between red/off/white from a switch in the cargo area. It's one of those stick-on truck tailgate brake lights, $16 on Amazon. I'll probably get one for the other side too depending on how it performs.

20200618_184401.jpg

20200618_193017.jpg

20200618_201317.jpg

20200618_201324.jpg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Add another little shelf for that propane bottle and you'd have a slide out from a slide out from a slide- triple telescoping setup.

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@csspar WOW!!! Thats super impressive man. Very well done. Love the way you designed & executed the drawers.

Im planning to start working on the drawer this weekend & the dimensions would be extremely helpful. What did you have to use the router for?

I redid the back lower panel as i mentioned since I bent it by tightening the side bolts too much. I also sunk the screws in the way you did and it looks much better. Don't know what I was thinking the first time lol

Thanks for also sharing the photos of the telescope and side lighting. It looks great and very functional, good idea!!!
Sponsored