Build Review

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
This will be my first Wrangler. Have always wanted one and finally have the means to get one. Decided to get the Rubicon over Sahara. Had the build priced out by Peterson and local dealer here in MA. Cost of shipping from ID to MA will make me go with the local dealer who is still 5% below invoice. Anyways, here is my build, what does everyone think?

Jeep Wrangler JL Build Review Rubicon Build
Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Welcome and very nice build! She's going to be a beaut :like:

-Steven

OP
OP

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Welcome and very nice build! She's going to be a beaut :like:

-Steven
Does anything in your mind stand out as unnecessary? Or a should have that didn't make it on here?
I.e I had gorilla glass in there at one point but after seeing everyone's review and the cost I got rid of it.

Ditched the safety packages because I have a car now will all of them and they are more of an annoyance than help.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
If you plan to keep the doors/top off much, I'd maybe skip the leather and spend 1/2 that on a nice set of Bartact seat covers. You can also pick up a pair of take-off oem steel bumpers for about 1/2 or less from the forum. I have a pair of oem steel bumpers I picked up off the forum for $850 total.

Sponsored

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

This will be my first Wrangler. Have always wanted one and finally have the means to get one. Decided to get the Rubicon over Sahara. Had the build priced out by Peterson and local dealer here in MA. Cost of shipping from ID to MA will make me go with the local dealer who is still 5% below invoice. Anyways, here is my build, what does everyone think?

Jeep Wrangler JL Build Review Rubicon Build
This is a great build. I personally think both safety groups are worth it, but it's up to you. From your build, it seems that you will be going off-road a lot, so it works for you.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Does anything in your mind stand out as unnecessary? Or a should have that didn't make it on here?
I.e I had gorilla glass in there at one point but after seeing everyone's review and the cost I got rid of it.

Ditched the safety packages because I have a car now will all of them and they are more of an annoyance than help.
Hi Pete! Personally, I don't see anything I would change.

You obviously wanted to run the diesel, cool. I have mostly the same equipment on my build and love it. Here's a few thoughts:
- LED Lighting Group Superb, worth every penny
- Off Road Camera Really wish was offered when I ordered my 2020
- Cold Weather I live in Chicago, Heated wheel is awesome
- Steel Bumper Looks great, nicely designed and very buildable (see my YouTube/build thread)
- Trailer/HD Elec. Great if trailer obviously but also easy to tap into for back-up lighting
- Hinge Gate Reinforc. Great for hanging the future 37's on
- HD Rock Rails Great step and rocker protection

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
YMMV. Only my opinion. I have a JLURD, 2021. I do wheel, mostly on rocks. I am at stock height currently.

Skip Leather trimmed bucket seats - Savings of $1700+

My thinking is this: Will you want aftermarket seat covers for rain/mud protection when you have the top down/off & the doors off? You did order mirrors to have the doors off. Waterproof seat covers were the 1st interior mod I ordered for this reason. Of course, I am running 1/2 doors and no windows 7 months of the year.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How much off-roading will you do? Front camera can be wonderful I am told!!! How many times will you use it per year? I did not opt for it because I have been wheeling w/o 1 for decades and felt I could live w/o it. $600+

Steel bumper group $1600+
I did opt for this because I liked the look of the front bumper WITH the sides removed. I have kept it and mounted a winch on it as well. The rear bumper, IF you are going to be bouncing it off things, will flex up and damage your tub. Had I known this, I MIGHT have reconsidered spending $$ on the steel option since I did replace the rear recently. KNOWN issue with stock steel bumper causing damage to body when it flexes into it. | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IF you are going to be rock crawling, you may want to skip the "rock sliders with step assist". I suspect if you are a person who likes to do mods, you will change these out. My stock rails are on the floor in the garage now. $800+
Possible savings: $4700.00

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
This is a great build. I personally think both safety groups are worth it, but it's up to you. From your build, it seems that you will be going off-road a lot, so it works for you.
Thanks! I'm not against what the 2 safety groups are there for and are supposed to do. I just have a car with similar safety features that thinks its "smart" but is in fact a very dumb car, because the systems dont just work well. I do wish I could get just the blind spot detection however.

OP
OP

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Hi Pete! Personally, I don't see anything I would change.

You obviously wanted to run the diesel, cool. I have mostly the same equipment on my build and love it. Here's a few thoughts:
- LED Lighting Group Superb, worth every penny
- Off Road Camera Really wish was offered when I ordered my 2020
- Cold Weather I live in Chicago, Heated wheel is awesome
- Steel Bumper Looks great, nicely designed and very buildable (see my YouTube/build thread)
- Trailer/HD Elec. Great if trailer obviously but also easy to tap into for back-up lighting
- Hinge Gate Reinforc. Great for hanging the future 37's on
- HD Rock Rails Great step and rocker protection

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Thanks, I have had many iterations to it and will perhaps refine it again with some of the suggestions I am seeing on here. Trailer use will be seldom but I want the option, also like you said, gives an easy place for future lighting

OP
OP

Pistoloni

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
YMMV. Only my opinion. I have a JLURD, 2021. I do wheel, mostly on rocks. I am at stock height currently.

Skip Leather trimmed bucket seats - Savings of $1700+

My thinking is this: Will you want aftermarket seat covers for rain/mud protection when you have the top down/off & the doors off? You did order mirrors to have the doors off. Waterproof seat covers were the 1st interior mod I ordered for this reason. Of course, I am running 1/2 doors and no windows 7 months of the year. -Got leather for 2 dogs who will be all over the seats and rest of vehicle. Embarrassingly I did not even consider waterproof seat covers, will need to look into this some more

How much off-roading will you do? Front camera can be wonderful I am told!!! How many times will you use it per year? I did not opt for it because I have been wheeling w/o 1 for decades and felt I could live w/o it. $600+ -Thought this was a neat to have and not a must have. However, thinking $600 is better to spend now than installing myself down the line.

Steel bumper group $1600+
I did opt for this because I liked the look of the front bumper WITH the sides removed. I have kept it and mounted a winch on it as well. The rear bumper, IF you are going to be bouncing it off things, will flex up and damage your tub. Had I known this, I MIGHT have reconsidered spending $$ on the steel option since I did replace the rear recently. KNOWN issue with stock steel bumper causing damage to body when it flexes into it. | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com -Went back and forth on this one. I did see users report the rear damage with the steel bumpers but also was reading about the pita it was to remove the stock front bumper and then added cost of aftermarket bumper. Again, this is probably something I should look deeper into
IF you are going to be rock crawling, you may want to skip the "rock sliders with step assist". I suspect if you are a person who likes to do mods, you will change these out. My stock rails are on the floor in the garage now. $800+ -I wont be rock crawling, I dont believe the New England area has much of that terrain, if any. Mostly sticking to just off road mixed terrain.
Possible savings: $4700.00
Thanks so much for taking the time and bringing up some good points and making me do a gut check on these items.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Thanks! I'm not against what the 2 safety groups are there for and are supposed to do. I just have a car with similar safety features that thinks its "smart" but is in fact a very dumb car, because the systems dont just work well. I do wish I could get just the blind spot detection however.
The regular safety group has blind spot.