Sponsored

Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25?

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Alltrack, Tesla Model 3
I’m one year into my 3 year lease on my 2022 Rubicon 4Xe. It has the Cold Weather Package, Tow Group, Forward Trail Camera, and color matched top. $62,200 was my price including shipping it to me from Louisiana through Clutch Auto Brokers. I love it so far. I live in Colorado and I’m getting into much more difficult terrain (CO and UT) than I’ve done in my previous 4x4 van and trucks. If/when I replace it I’d stick with a PHEV because it serves me well. My daily commuting is short when I need it and then I can head off to the mountains for wheeling and camping. I’ve been on the fence on whether I want to build this rig out with some additional skid plates, bumper/winch, a lift, new wheels and 35’s to give me some more confidence. If I did, I would definitely buy it at the end of the lease and keep it for at least 7 years baring any major problems.

With the release of the specs on the ’24, particularly the side curtain airbags and the full float axles on the Rubicon, I’m wondering if I should just wait until my lease is up and trade-in for a 2024 or 2025. I’m not clear on whether the Rubicon 4xe can be had from the factory with the “X” package on 35’s. If so, maybe I should go that route? Which do you think would be cheaper in the long run? I could probably do the lift on my own for what it’s worth.
Jeep Wrangler JL Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25? IMG_1806
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
If you build it out you commit to buying it, or taking a big hit. This is where the “what if’s” come into play.
Jeep Wrangler JL Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25? BC612590-6436-4FB8-A51A-17F809B5C9F7
I wouldn’t, until I was positive about buying it. Hey, have ya heard about the new battery that will double the range and come with the new Hurricane T-6. Unlikely exaggeration to make the point. Your - Call - double down ?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
With the hit or miss quality on Jeeps, I'd say stick with the devil that you know.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I leased 1 time, turned it in under milage, and got a bill for a rock chip in the windshield. Granted it was a ford, but hopefully someone who has leased a Jeep and wheeled it will chime in with what they had to deal with on the back end.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
Not sure if you'd be planning to lease the '24, but it's worth looking at the leasing numbers (assuming they even have them available yet for the '24s) to make sure they are not unfavorable compared to what lease you're in now for the '22. No idea how the residual values and money factors are being affected by the current financial market.

That said, I never buy vehicles during their first run after a refresh (or redesign for that matter). Might be worth waiting things out a bit to see how the dust starts to settle once the early adopters start getting their '24 orders in.

Sponsored

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I’m one year into my 3 year lease on my 2022 Rubicon 4Xe. It has the Cold Weather Package, Tow Group, Forward Trail Camera, and color matched top. $62,200 was my price including shipping it to me from Louisiana through Clutch Auto Brokers. I love it so far. I live in Colorado and I’m getting into much more difficult terrain (CO and UT) than I’ve done in my previous 4x4 van and trucks. If/when I replace it I’d stick with a PHEV because it serves me well. My daily commuting is short when I need it and then I can head off to the mountains for wheeling and camping. I’ve been on the fence on whether I want to build this rig out with some additional skid plates, bumper/winch, a lift, new wheels and 35’s to give me some more confidence. If I did, I would definitely buy it at the end of the lease and keep it for at least 7 years baring any major problems.

With the release of the specs on the ’24, particularly the side curtain airbags and the full float axles on the Rubicon, I’m wondering if I should just wait until my lease is up and trade-in for a 2024 or 2025. I’m not clear on whether the Rubicon 4xe can be had from the factory with the “X” package on 35’s. If so, maybe I should go that route? Which do you think would be cheaper in the long run? I could probably do the lift on my own for what it’s worth.
Jeep Wrangler JL Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25? BC612590-6436-4FB8-A51A-17F809B5C9F7

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe

Well your lithium battery warranty is a 1/4 used up. The 2024 will only get higher priced. So if you like yours you may want to keep it. As 24 will have bugs to work out

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
There’s always something better on the horizon. If you wait on a 24 you’ll likely be tempted by the JLs successor by the end of your lease. I’d build out what you have. If you keep it for 7 years like you mentioned you’ll likely be in good position to buy something with more range than what you have.

Last edited:

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I’m not clear on whether the Rubicon 4xe can be had from the factory with the “X” package on 35’s. If so, maybe I should go that route? Which do you think would be cheaper in the long run? I could probably do the lift on my own for what it’s worth.
I was in a similar issue as yours, but chose to keep modding my current Jeep rather than buy a different, used model or order something new. I considered selling since there was no option to reprogram the modules after changing the axle gearing....well, that issue has been solved by Jeep themselves, now, thankfully - see Technical Service Bulletin TSB 08-099-23. So....I ordered a 4xe specific, 3.5" MC Gamechanger during MetalCloak's Memorial Day sale last Friday. With the ever increasing prices, (my '21 was 56k, ordering a '24 would be 70k), I think it makes sense to keep the Jeep you already have than to get a new one.

From the price list, it looks like the Rubicon X package is available...but without the 35's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25? 1685563571706

The 4xe Rubicon is in the last column, JLXS74, and it's not listed under the 35" Tire Package. Jeep may worry about the potential for damaging the axles with all the torque, or possibly the reduction of electric range, IDK. That new Rubi X package is nearly identical (minus the power seats and 12" display, obviously) to the way I optioned my early '21 Rubicon; it's a good combination of Rubi capabilities and tech features.

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
Personally I'd trade it in. A 21/22 4XE isn't going to be the most reliable thing down the road. A lot will always be covered until the super long hybrid warranty, but shop time is still annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FarmerFrederico
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was in a similar issue as yours, but chose to keep modding my current Jeep rather than buy a different, used model or order something new. I considered selling since there was no option to reprogram the modules after changing the axle gearing....well, that issue has been solved by Jeep themselves, now, thankfully - see Technical Service Bulletin TSB 08-099-23. So....I ordered a 4xe specific, 3.5" MC Gamechanger during MetalCloak's Memorial Day sale last Friday. With the ever increasing prices, (my '21 was 56k, ordering a '24 would be 70k), I think it makes sense to keep the Jeep you already have than to get a new one.

From the price list, it looks like the Rubicon X package is available...but without the 35's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Build out and then buy my leased ‘22 or wait for ‘24/‘25? 1685563571706

The 4xe Rubicon is in the last column, JLXS74, and it's not listed under the 35" Tire Package. Jeep may worry about the potential for damaging the axles with all the torque, or possibly the reduction of electric range, IDK. That new Rubi X package is nearly identical (minus the power seats and 12" display, obviously) to the way I optioned my early '21 Rubicon; it's a good combination of Rubi capabilities and tech features.
I’m leaning towards this thinking too. Thanks for laying out the details!

Deleted member 59498

I would wait for 25s and let the people who buy 24s work out the problems they are going to have.

OP
OP
FarmerFrederico
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the Jeep website to build out something comparable to what I have now would be $72k. If I did without the leather seats and color matched hard top, that puts me at $65k. I don’t think I‘d ever see them sold below MSRP at this time in history, and the tax incentives are getting smaller by the time I’m in the market again.

My current ride I leased 9% below MSRP and with the full tax incentive the deal was at $52k.

Side curtain airbags in the right situation are priceless, but it’s still kind of amazing how much more these machines cost this year and likely beyond.

OP
OP
FarmerFrederico
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 months later and I still have the ’22 4xe Rubicon with leather and hard top. It’s been great so far but I am part of the B9A battery recall and bring it in this week to have it taken care of. I only have 12k miles with 30k allotted across the lease. My $426/month lease ends in July ‘25 with a residual of $42,150k and I’d really like to have a ‘24 year or newer for the side-curtain airbags and full float axle.

My local dealer has 20+ 4Xe Wranglers on the lot which have just been sitting there for 3 months. I would expect prices to continue to drop on them considering how much surplus there is in the market. There is also a used ‘24 with only 3.5k miles. However, I’ve also heard rumors that the ‘25 Wrangler 4xe might get a bigger battery. This is my first lease. If I end early, do I hopefully have some equity above residual to work with? Maybe I should just keep waiting until summer ‘25?

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
8 months later and I still have the ’22 4xe Rubicon with leather and hard top. It’s been great so far but I am part of the B9A battery recall and bring it in this week to have it taken care of. I only have 12k miles with 30k allotted across the lease. My $426/month lease ends in July ‘25 with a residual of $42,150k and I’d really like to have a ‘24 year or newer for the side-curtain airbags and full float axle.

My local dealer has 20+ 4Xe Wranglers on the lot which have just been sitting there for 3 months. I would expect prices to continue to drop on them considering how much surplus there is in the market. There is also a used ‘24 with only 3.5k miles. However, I’ve also heard rumors that the ‘25 Wrangler 4xe might get a bigger battery. This is my first lease. If I end early, do I hopefully have some equity above residual to work with? Maybe I should just keep waiting until summer ‘25?

First thing you should do is find out your buyout price and the current value of your 4xe. I dont think you will have much equity if any at all. The market value of yours if probably right at the residual currently so you gotta factor in any additional amounts you'd have to pay for your buyout. Im' in the same boat, my residual is a few thousand more than what similar 4xes are going for around here. My 4xe is probably my favorite Jeep I've had but I dont want to over pay for it so more than likely I'll wait out the last few months on my lease and move on. As for the 25's, theres also going to be updates with the 28's and the new platform so will you want one of them too? If so maybe skip the 25s and build out your current 4xe, and enjoy it until then end of the decade.
Sponsored