Sponsored

BUGS!! Cleaning dead bug guts off your vehicle?

J-Dub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Rubicon
I use warm water with a little Dawn in it (if it is good enough for duckies...) and wipe with a microfiber towel. I just had to clean a million corpses off my grille, bumper, and windshield yesterday. Drove 3.5 hours home from Green Bay in the evening after an all day rain shower. The humidity brought them out in droves. At one point, I ran into a huge cloud of them. I was sure they dented my Jeep, lol.
Just an FYI if you care, dawn will strip any waxes or sealants off that you have on the Jeep.
Sponsored

earthgirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
Just an FYI if you care, dawn will strip any waxes or sealants off that you have on the Jeep.
I only use it on the windshield and the plastic bumper. And I have a Willys so there is a black plastic cover on my grill.

Last edited:

Dragon52

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon EcoDiesel
How does everyone go about getting dead bug guts off your vehicle? We essentially drive a toaster on wheels, and all of the flat straight up surfaces tend to destroy bugs, especially out in the country roads where I drive. A pressure washer does good on the windshield, but not on painted surfaces and the grille.

Are there certain chemicals/solutions you have found specifically helpful and effective in your time owning a vehicle?
I am a real advocate for these sponges designed to clean bug guts.
AmazonSmile: McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Scrubber, (2 Pack) : Automotive
Normal soap and water with these wet works wonders. I purchase them for the 1st time several years ago. Thought i would try them on my wife's new Navigator before my Porsche. All went well for both those vehicles, so I have been using it regularly on my 2020 Rubi. No impact on the clear coat whatsoever.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
How does everyone go about getting dead bug guts off your vehicle? We essentially drive a toaster on wheels, and all of the flat straight up surfaces tend to destroy bugs, especially out in the country roads where I drive. A pressure washer does good on the windshield, but not on painted surfaces and the grille.

Are there certain chemicals/solutions you have found specifically helpful and effective in your time owning a vehicle?
I had my grille clear wrapped and hood about 12 inches up and front fenders .I use a damp microfiber towel they wipe right off .

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I'm from FL and we have love bugs and I found using rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle works well.

huberro2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
Well, the sooner you wash, after a bug attack, the easier, the bodies drop off, especially if you don't bake the remains in the hot sun. A wet (H2O) wash cloth always has worked for me. I don't like chemicals. Bad for the environment, bad for your health. Just my take.

whitechocolate

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Edition
I am a real advocate for these sponges designed to clean bug guts.
AmazonSmile: McKee's 37 Road Kill Bug Scrubber, (2 Pack) : Automotive
Normal soap and water with these wet works wonders. I purchase them for the 1st time several years ago. Thought i would try them on my wife's new Navigator before my Porsche. All went well for both those vehicles, so I have been using it regularly on my 2020 Rubi. No impact on the clear coat whatsoever.
Those are great, the Jeep is kept waxed so most of the time I just use some water and microfiber -> guts away. The exception are the love bugs here in FL, nasty nasty bastards and those sponges really sort those off the paint.

whitechocolate

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Edition