Sponsored

Budget spare tire relocation to fit 37s?

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
All good dude I thought you still had the RC plate but no sweat. Having to buy a new plate is a small setback, a lot of people are steered into these way more expensive aftermarket contraptions but that's another topic, so maybe you dodged a bullet.

Also, depending on your wheels and exact size of your tires, you might not even need a plate with the rubi carrier. You 100% do if you use the stock wheels because the spare is so close to the gate, and the bumper sort of tapers in. But with aftermarket wheels with a ~4.5"ish backspace you can sometimes get away with it. Here is an example.

Now as far as the rubi carrier install goes I have one tip that might save you a headache. In my case, the backup camera mount on my stock carrier was not just held in by the 2 hex bolts by the wheel studs. It was also held in by some adhesive in 2 or 3 spots. So I got underneath those spots from the inside with a big flathead and a hammer to break them free. Hopefully yours will drop out just by removing those 2 bolts but if not, now you know what you have to do.
Awesome. Thanks for the info and the help. I think the plate has been working out ok for me since I extended the stops to add support and my wheels are 22lbs along with the lighter milestar 37s vs other setups.

I'll post back and let you know.

I realized the poison spyder bumper I have also sits higher than other bumpers which is why the RC place alone wasn't working for me. My buddy has the RC plate and a different bumper and I think 37s would work with his setup.
Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with it so far and it's very solid. I do recommend ordering a round "behind the tire" LED 3rd brake light ($30 on Amazon) if you have 37's. The stock 3rd brake light wire wouldn't extend far enough to raise it to the top position and even if it could, blocks visibility above the tire.
So if I’m carrying a 35 I need the rubicon carrier and nothing else for my sport?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Budget spare tire relocation to fit 37s?

Cost zero $. Wood for shelf $70 option.
Undoubtedly the best solution for hardcore or full-time wheelers like sourdough. The weight distribution alone makes a huge difference in trail handling and you will avoid significant body damage by not having a spare hanging off the back catching rock ledges.

For us casuals/daily drivers, the compromises are apparent.

Sponsored

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, nobody has ever measured side by side at least when I was searching for information. But looking at a sport vs rubi in person there is a clear difference.

There is some information here but unfortunately one guy said there is no difference in distance from the bumper (not true), and another guy put a tape measure to his but only measured the distance delta from the tailgate. The distance from the bumper is the more important measurement when trying to fit larger tires.

So to officially put an end to this, here you guys go, these are my personal measurements with pictures:

Sport:
8.25" from tailgate to WMS
36.5" from top center of bumper to bottom stud
34.5" from arbitrary location to top of brake light

Rubicon:
8.75" from tailgate to WMS
38" from top center of bumper to bottom stud
36" from arbitrary location to top of brake light

Jeep Wrangler JL Budget spare tire relocation to fit 37s? 7AA5A2C7-5352-4CEB-A536-8308DE5CB700

The 3rd brake light bracket also has a different shape and is taller even when not considering the added height of the carrier itself.

Jeep Wrangler JL Budget spare tire relocation to fit 37s? 7AA5A2C7-5352-4CEB-A536-8308DE5CB700

Zeebo I wish you would have read my post or PM'd me before buying that. The guy in that thread has a Rubicon. You are going to run into the exact same issue as you have with your current rough country bracket (they honestly look exactly the same) since you have a sport. You need a rubicon carrier.
wanted to say thanks again for the awesome info. I finally got the rubicon spare tire carrier installed in conjunction with the relocation plate and it allowed the 37 to fit. Neither of those two alone would let the 37 fit but together worked great.

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
wanted to say thanks again for the awesome info. I finally got the rubicon spare tire carrier installed in conjunction with the relocation plate and it allowed the 37 to fit. Neither of those two alone would let the 37 fit but together worked great.
Glad it worked out for you! Now that I have installed aftermarket wheels (4.29 BS with -18 offset) with my 37's instead of the stock rims, the spare sticks out... I think I can remove the bracket now. I have an aftermarket stubby rear so clearance of the bumper won't be an issue.

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it worked out for you! Now that I have installed aftermarket wheels (4.29 BS with -18 offset) with my 37's instead of the stock rims, the spare sticks out... I think I can remove the bracket now. I have an aftermarket stubby rear so clearance of the bumper won't be an issue.
Yeah my spare sticks out also. I need to extend the stops so they contact the 37.

I did that with the 35s but the 37 sticks out further.
Sponsored