Sponsored

Budget best spent on top quality shocks or top quality lift components??

Budget best spent on top quality shocks or top quality lift components??

• Total voters

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So all of us have our own budgets to work with, and I am sure we are all on here, and start reading about control arms, bushings, shocks, bump stops, joints, etc, etc, etc. and with each post get excited about something and end up wanting it all, but then realizing the budget just doesn't support the dream.

I wanted to take a poll, of preferably people with some experience, is it better to spend money on expensive shocks or expensive lift kit. I use expensive to avoid opinions of which lifts/shocks are the best, so for sake of imagination assume whatever expensive kit you or shock you like best.. And lets assume that extreme off-roading is out, 90% of jeep are used 99% on road, and pushed to various levels off-road. So lets say the average expected use of the kit is 6-8 trail trips a year, doing half intermediate trails and half hard trails.

if they thought a simple lift say springs, lower control arms, bump stops, and say track bar relocation brackets with really top end shocks was a better use of dollars, verse say a full kit with front and back track bars, full set of control arms, dual rate springs, and the latest joint/bushing/coating technology but with entry level shocks. Where is the better use of budget?
Sponsored

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
I would think increasing ground clearance would be best use...may or may not require lift. Increase tire size. I think premium shocks Could improve ride on road or at speed off road but not as valuable as ground clearance.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would think increasing ground clearance would be best use...may or may not require lift. Increase tire size. I think premium shocks Could improve ride on road or at speed off road but not as valuable as ground clearance.
ya i agree,, but both solutions will do that.. the price difference of say a 2.5 and a 3.5 is not much, ya 4.5" and higher gets crazy.. so everyone just assume 2.5-3.5 your preference. The difference in component quality would be less vibration, more durability, and more flex. The nice shocks could increase travel to some degree and improve ride quality.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
and ya the premise is you can't have it all.. unless your really really lucky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So all of us have our own budgets to work with, and I am sure we are all on here, and start reading about control arms, bushings, shocks, bump stops, joints, etc, etc, etc. and with each post get excited about something and end up wanting it all, but then realizing the budget just doesn't support the dream.

I wanted to take a poll, of preferably people with some experience, is it better to spend money on expensive shocks or expensive lift kit. I use expensive to avoid opinions of which lifts/shocks are the best, so for sake of imagination assume whatever expensive kit you or shock you like best.. And lets assume that extreme off-roading is out, 90% of jeep are used 99% on road, and pushed to various levels off-road. So lets say the average expected use of the kit is 6-8 trail trips a year, doing half intermediate trails and half hard trails.

if they thought a simple lift say springs, lower control arms, bump stops, and say track bar relocation brackets with really top end shocks was a better use of dollars, verse say a full kit with front and back track bars, full set of control arms, dual rate springs, and the latest joint/bushing/coating technology but with entry level shocks. Where is the better use of budget?
For my money , I would get the quality lift, because there are several good entry level shocks out there these days.

Sponsored

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For my money , I would get the quality lift, because there are several good entry level shocks out there these days.
I agree and that is what I did fox ifp monotube shocks with a rock krawler lift with from upper and lower arms and rear upper arms.. gets installed Friday .. king, falcon, fox ressy look awesome but I won’t bring doing long distance high speed dessert racing , so the fox smoothies will suit me well and easy on the piggy bank
Sponsored