Sponsored

Bucket seats causing significant discomfort - seat modification called for?

ryanv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport 2-door
Hello all,

First time Wrangler owner and am loving the experience, except for the bucket seats. The bolsters on the seat are pushing against my hips and also possibly turning them inwards since I'm essentially sitting on the inner edge of the bolsters. After doing some research, it appears that my Greater Trochanters (outside portion of the femur) are resting on a portion of the bolsters (see pic). So far, this has caused tingling/numbness in my feet, but more bothersome, fairly significant soreness/discomfort in what feels like the hip socket.

I had some discomfort initially with my last car (Honda Civic Touring) which had pretty aggressive bolsters, but they consisted of softer foam and leather, which meant I slid into them more, rather than sitting on the sides of the bolsters in the Wrangler due to the firmness and very grippy cloth covering.

My commute is a total of less than one hour each day and the discomfort is getting worse, so unfortunately I don't think I'll get used to it or flatten the bolsters in a quick enough time to get relief. For reference, I'm 6ft and 190lbs. Not obese by any means, but my hips bones are fairly wide across, which is exacerbating/causing the problem.

With that, my thoughts have turned to seat modification, specifically, having a reputable auto upholstery shop pare down the foam bolsters to create more of a comfy, bench type seat. I'm aware that I'll be forfeiting stability in turns and off road, but my hip health is significantly more important to me.

Anyone else experienced a similar issue? Even if not this exact problem, has anyone had their seat bottom modified to gain more comfort?

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Thanks!

Bucket seat_Greater trochanter.jpg
Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How about a cushion on the seat bottom? That's what my wife does to solve the problem. Cheep and effective solution. raises your bottom so the hips don't hit the bolsters as much.

OP
OP
ryanv

ryanv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport 2-door
How about a cushion on the seat bottom? That's what my wife does to solve the problem. Cheep and effective solution. raises your bottom so the hips don't hit the bolsters as much.
That was definitely my first thought. Tried one memory foam cushion that didn't work very well, but trying out a bunch of cushions is surely going to be more cost effective than modifying the seat.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
On a more serious note, do you think you would feel better lifting your seat? Maybe putting spacers under the brackets?

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That was definitely my first thought. Tried one memory foam cushion that didn't work very well, but trying out a bunch of cushions is surely going to be more cost effective than modifying the seat.
You might look into a Purple seat cushion. They are made of a gel honeycomb type pattern and has a removable cover that is anti-slip on the bottom and breathable on top. A little pricey but good for the long haul. My wife went with the Royal cushion. We have had it over a year now and it works great.

https://purple.com/seatcushions?device=c&kw=purple seat cushion&cid=783732457&adgid=50030722793&clickgeo=9031338&km=e&network=g&adid=231582634936&adp=1t1&_b=&_camp=p-sc&_pt=&_conq=&_adg=p-sc&_content=&_content2=eta&_promo=&_slink=&_br=&_camp2=&_prodt=&_rt=&utm_name=gco&utm_source=go&utm_medium=sr&utm_campaign=Brand:+Purple+Cushion&utm_term=br&utm_content=43664&hsa_grp=50030722793&hsa_src=g&hsa_ad=231582634936&hsa_mt=e&hsa_tgt=kwd-296633452939&hsa_acc=4386593859&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&hsa_cam=783732457&hsa_kw=purple seat cushion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJDovP6H3wIVCKdpCh3NkgWBEAAYASAAEgK0RvD_BwE

scottjf8

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitide
Hello all,

First time Wrangler owner and am loving the experience, except for the bucket seats. The bolsters on the seat are pushing against my hips and also possibly turning them inwards since I'm essentially sitting on the inner edge of the bolsters. After doing some research, it appears that my Greater Trochanters (outside portion of the femur) are resting on a portion of the bolsters (see pic). So far, this has caused tingling/numbness in my feet, but more bothersome, fairly significant soreness/discomfort in what feels like the hip socket.

I had some discomfort initially with my last car (Honda Civic Touring) which had pretty aggressive bolsters, but they consisted of softer foam and leather, which meant I slid into them more, rather than sitting on the sides of the bolsters in the Wrangler due to the firmness and very grippy cloth covering.

My commute is a total of less than one hour each day and the discomfort is getting worse, so unfortunately I don't think I'll get used to it or flatten the bolsters in a quick enough time to get relief. For reference, I'm 6ft and 190lbs. Not obese by any means, but my hips bones are fairly wide across, which is exacerbating/causing the problem.

With that, my thoughts have turned to seat modification, specifically, having a reputable auto upholstery shop pare down the foam bolsters to create more of a comfy, bench type seat. I'm aware that I'll be forfeiting stability in turns and off road, but my hip health is significantly more important to me.

Anyone else experienced a similar issue? Even if not this exact problem, has anyone had their seat bottom modified to gain more comfort?

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Thanks!

Bucket seat_Greater trochanter.jpg
Hey, late bump here but i'm new to my Jeep, and I'm having the same issues as you. Did you fix this, or eventually get used to it?

scottjf8

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitide
I actually took it to my dealership, and they're adding some cushions into the seat, and taking the lumbar support completely out. God I hope this helps me.

Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
My wife has the same issue (pictured). It got so bad that I now have her hanging in the garage by her thoracic bones.

Seriously, sadly vehicles are designed for the average person with average height, weight and social skills. They don't take into account special people like you and I who have special needs. I hope you find a good solution and document it well here. Statistically I'm sure you are not alone.

Hitcher.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Never knew JL owners were so boney...

Good to hear you got it fixed, though.

ryanmhulce

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I went through a couple of cushions and I ended up with the Purple Royal based on your post. Thank You, this cushion has done the trick for me! Those bolsters were messing with my hips so bad! I commute 1 hour 15 minutes each way, so it is important to be comfortable.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I went through a couple of cushions and I ended up with the Purple Royal based on your post. Thank You, this cushion has done the trick for me! Those bolsters were messing with my hips so bad! I commute 1 hour 15 minutes each way, so it is important to be comfortable.
Glad it worked for you. It does wonders for my computer chair.
Sponsored