Sponsored

Bucket seats causing significant discomfort - seat modification called for?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
If i CNC some lift brackets how many here would buy? It will lift the bottom angle by 3-4 inches.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I hate the seats. I think the primary issue is lack of padding.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I had back issues for years, then surgery fixed it. I learned a lot in rehab about your spine and how to take care of it and how it can affect other parts of your body - big time! I'm not saying that the seats aren't an issue or that you may have a disc messing with a nerve, I'm saying you should try doing a few core strengthening exercises to see if might help. We all should be doing these anyway and it might help, shouldn't hurt. I was ready to sell my car because my right leg would cramp up after only 15-20 minutes of driving, then i started doing plank excercises and it stopped completely.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
If i CNC some lift brackets how many here would buy? It will lift the bottom angle by 3-4 inches.
3-4" isn't the norm raising the front by about 1-2. Have you tested this much lift yet? I'm interested.

Bearcatriz

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sahara
I am having same problem. I tried car seat pads and they did not work. I also read about the tilt of the seat, feeling like you are sliding forward. I went ahead and added 3/ 4 hex bolts to front seat to add 3/4inch recline in the seat. What I was wondering if anyone had the front padding in the seat modified and what you did to solve problem. The hex bolts helped a little but still have a little discomfort in seat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Hello all,

First time Wrangler owner and am loving the experience, except for the bucket seats. The bolsters on the seat are pushing against my hips and also possibly turning them inwards since I'm essentially sitting on the inner edge of the bolsters. After doing some research, it appears that my Greater Trochanters (outside portion of the femur) are resting on a portion of the bolsters (see pic). So far, this has caused tingling/numbness in my feet, but more bothersome, fairly significant soreness/discomfort in what feels like the hip socket.

I had some discomfort initially with my last car (Honda Civic Touring) which had pretty aggressive bolsters, but they consisted of softer foam and leather, which meant I slid into them more, rather than sitting on the sides of the bolsters in the Wrangler due to the firmness and very grippy cloth covering.

My commute is a total of less than one hour each day and the discomfort is getting worse, so unfortunately I don't think I'll get used to it or flatten the bolsters in a quick enough time to get relief. For reference, I'm 6ft and 190lbs. Not obese by any means, but my hips bones are fairly wide across, which is exacerbating/causing the problem.

With that, my thoughts have turned to seat modification, specifically, having a reputable auto upholstery shop pare down the foam bolsters to create more of a comfy, bench type seat. I'm aware that I'll be forfeiting stability in turns and off road, but my hip health is significantly more important to me.

Anyone else experienced a similar issue? Even if not this exact problem, has anyone had their seat bottom modified to gain more comfort?

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Thanks!

Bucket seat_Greater trochanter.jpg
Looking at your pic...my first recommendation is that your doctor change your prescription.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I love the seats, but my wife does not. She ended up getting a Premium Sacro-Ease Back Support from the Relax the Back store. It was NOT cheap, but it did the trick, unlike numerous other attempted solutions. We did an 850 mile day last year with mixed road types (Phoenix to Winnemucca) and neither of us had any issues.

https://relaxtheback.com/products/mccartys-premium-sacroease-back-support

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
My wife has the same issue (pictured). It got so bad that I now have her hanging in the garage by her thoracic bones.

Seriously, sadly vehicles are designed for the average person with average height, weight and social skills. They don't take into account special people like you and I who have special needs. I hope you find a good solution and document it well here. Statistically I'm sure you are not alone.

Hitcher.jpg
Love skinny girls! Hot!!!!!!!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Sahara JLU, leather option and wife and I different builds, both love the seats?? Judy is 120lbs 5' I am 200lbs 6'2"!
Last long trip 450 miles 2 stops, getting old, few years ago that mileage woulda been 1 stop! lol

Good luck!!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored