First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
As I said in my other thread, my wife and I decided to plan a mult-week trip in 2022 from Maine to California with multiple stops along the way including MOAB, Telluride (black bear pass), Yosemite and the Rubicon Trail (for starters). My next question involves timing.

The vast majority of my travel out West has been via air and the furthest I've been away from the cities is Muir woods (which was awesome). My original plan was to start our journey on Labor Day weekend 2022 but my daughter (lives in Bishop, CA) said no way would she plan the trip then because sleeping in a tent would be really hot, it's fire season and I would be risking areas being closed. So, back to the drawing board. Obviously with this much planning I want to avoid fires, road closures, landslides, flooding and massive crowds. Night time temps in the 50's-60's would be a bonus :like:

Now I'm thinking last week in May into June but would love to hear what those of you who have 'been there, done that' think. Thanks in advance! BTW.. if any of you want to plan a trip to Maine, hit me up. My advice is always the same, find July 17th on calendar and plan your trip to include that date, it's typically our nicest week.
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I road tripped from Montana through Idaho, Oregon, northern California, southern California, Nevada, Arizona, and Texas last August. Total trip time was about 2-1/2 weeks and I hammock camped about 80% of those evenings. The air quality was pretty bad at times due to the wild fires but the only places where it didn't get into at least the upper 60's in the evening was in the southern desert. Once you get away from all the concrete in the urban areas in the NW (and especially once you get to elevation), it still cools off decently at night even if it was 99degF during the day and everything around you is on fire due to the general lack of humidity.

That said, if I had a choice I would've gone May/June. You roll the dice a bit when planning trips in the Northwest in May; about 50% of the time we get a random cold front and snow storm blow through in the middle of May that'll dump a couple inches of accumulation and stick around for 2-3 days. Typically around the 1st of June the spring/summer season gets fairly consistent but there hasn't been enough dry weather yet for forest fires to be a real danger. So if you're sensitive to cool mornings (which I can't imagine you are, being from Maine), you might want to err closer to early/mid June. I actually really enjoy branching out in April/May, because the spring bloom is incredible, its generally a little less populated (which will definitely be a big factor in all the super high traffic areas you mentioned like Moab, Telluride, and Rubicon), and there's always the chance of a random weather event totally changing your plans which is part of the thrill of adventure.

Overcrowding is going to be an unavoidable condition anytime the weather is favorable and consistent in those Bucket List areas you mentioned. Outdoor recreation is at an all-time popularity high at the moment, and there are literally millions of folks ticking off their bucket lists' as well. If you and your better half can swing it, maybe have a discussion about planning two separate trips; first during the best weather (probably mid June) but understanding that will be the height of overcrowding, and a second trip during the off-season to really explore the areas but with more environmental challenges (my all-time favorite time in Moab is in late October/early November). The second trip would be predicated on how much you enjoy yourselves on the first as well as how much you felt you missed out on due to the crowds and traffic. I think, even having that discussion beforehand and having the idea in the back of your mind of a second trip, would maybe allow you to temper your disappointment at the volume of fellow outdoorsmen on the first trip and to really enjoy every bit of the trip. Afterwards, you may agree that you experienced what you wanted to experience despite the crowds (or maybe due to them, as we are generally social creatures and you might make some terrific new friends on the trails) and there's no need for a second trip, or you may just start hyping each other up again for the next big grand adventure. Either way is a win, I reckon.

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Go whenever it fits your schedule the best. The weather will always be what it is. Moab is always great, Telluride is always high and spotty and Yosemite is always crowded. You need to get a firm plan and make reservations unless you plan to boondock on BLM. Even that is not what it used to be as BLM has closed lots of areas due to overcrowding. Found that out last year in Moab.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Yosemite is beautiful all year long, but IMO it’s the best in early June. The waterfalls are all raging at their peaks during this time because of all the snowmelt. Highly recommend experiencing Yosemite at that time! Temps will be warm during the day and chilly at night, but not unbearable. Yosemite is almost always crowded so there’s really no avoiding the crowds there, but it’s well worth it. Campsite reservations open up to five months in advance so make sure you set calendar reminders to make your reservations.

If you’ll be out near Yosemite, you may also want to consider also making your way over to Sequoia national park. The giant sequoias really are spectacular to see, especially General Sherman (the world’s largest tree).

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So is this a wheeling trip, or a sight seeing trip?

Just know that if you plan to wheel in Telluride, June may not be good. Most of those passes will be hit or miss for being open in June. I have wheeled the places that you have mentioned. If you start in June and catch Telluride on your way back home, you should be fine.

I have done many multiple week Jeep trips around the US and been fine tuning my process for awhile now.

I give a thumbs up for hammock camping by the way even though I pull a small off road camper. There is just something about sleeping under the stars in a hammock.

This is a thread that I did last year for a very similar trip that you are planning, but from Michigan. Just know that your travel plan is ambitious and you will spend many 12+ hours in the Jeep traveling.

This was Moab, the Rubicon Trail and Wyoming.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eet-forum-members-in-the-oddest-places.55768/

This one is from Colorado and Moab.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...west-from-michigan-pic-and-video-heavy.38104/

Make a plan and work the plan. Are you using any type of mapping software for the trip and on the trails?

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hello All,

I greatly appreciate the feedback, information and resources! Just a short update and some answers to your questions.

@Chris -my daughter LOVES Yosemite and insists we do some nights in that area when we visit her. I've been to Muir Woods but you are the 3rd person who said I should be sure to hit Sequoia NP. I've just made a note in our itinerary, maybe we can hit it on our way from Death Valley to Yosemite.

So is this a wheeling trip, or a sight seeing trip?
When we first decided to head west I had more 'wheeling' on my mind but at my age I'm not really into doing something (like crawling over rocks) just because they are there. The Rubicon was a big part of my initial planning but now we will likely just do a 'section' so we can cross it off the list. This is more about seeing places we have never seen but having the capability of going wherever we want (especially if it avoids crowds). So, both ;)

Make a plan and work the plan. Are you using any type of mapping software for the trip and on the trails?
I dare say, I plan to a fault. Many years ago I took a family trip to Disney World and showed up with an excel file spelling out where to go and when. At lunch we met up with my in-laws and I asked them how many rides they got on, they replied 2, we had done 7! Some may say I need to 'relax' a bit but that goes against my nature.

Because we are planning this trip with friends who are more 'relaxed' than I am, I've gone a bit nutty. I have a shared OneNote notebook dedicated to the trip with sections for packing, vehicle prep, references / resources and itinerary (primary and plan B). There are far too many details to leave to my 52 year old memory!

I was actually watching an overlanding video this morning and my wife asked me 'don't you get bored with that?'. :LOL:

For mapping I've decide to go with Gaia GPS. I've also found Trailsoffroad.com to be totally worth the $ and I can download their trail guides to Gaia. In addition to that I have found a couple of YouTubers willing to share tips, I've bought the Charles Wells books and the Nat Geo maps for each area we plan to hit. Oh yea, and I have the tips from the community here :like:

Thanks again and happy Friday all.

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@wibornz , I forgot to mention. Since we are going to week after Easter we decided to start our adventures at Dome Plateau and keep clear of snowy elevations. I really wanted to do Rimrocker trail from Montrose to Moab but I've read it's often impassible in spots until late July due to snow.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Well if sight seeing it is. I have been all over the US by Jeep, car and motorcycle. Let me give you some feedback....

I love the Sequoia National Park. If you go there and want to also hit Death Valley, may I suggest taking General Sherman's Pass over the mountains to Death Valley. Death Valley is beautiful too. Swing south out of Death Valley and check out Zion National Park, hike into the Narrows and back out. Then north from Zion is Bryce Canyon. Then go from Bryce Canyon up to Moab.

I have driven over General Sherman's Pass twice, once in a convertible Mustang and once on a motorcycle. It is a cool drive.

Also if the Ferry is operational, you can take it across Lake Powell, then head up to Moab via that route.

Do a google search for images of Zion, Bryce Canyon, and so on. Or if you would like I can dig out my external drive and up load some.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Seeing that you're from Maine, have you watched sunrise from Cadillac Mountain top?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MaineBumpkin

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the info Ted, I’ll definitely check out Sherman’s pass! You named a bunch of spots we want to try and hit! So far I’ve planned Dome Plateau then Potash / White Rim / Canyonlands area, but the itinerary is pretty wide open between there and Death Valley, there is so much to see in that area!

As far as Cadillac Mountain, no, I’ve been there a few times but I prefer Schoodic Peninsula when visiting Acadia. Bar Harbor is a zoo and I like to avoid crowds. If you are ever up this way, I highly recommend Schoodic Wood Campground. As far as Maine sunrise, while it’s not officially the first to see the sun, I recommend Pemaquid Point. This is our favorite place on the Maine coast. I took this sunrise video there a couple of years back. Took me about 6 passes with the drone and the mosquitos were brutal but it was worth it!

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Great video, we are heading up there again this Nov. I have been out west many times. It can get hot in the summer, elevation is your friend. Have a great time. PM me with any questions.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
All I know is you're ahead of the curve. Many people have dreams of doing stuff, make a plan and make it happen. There is so many cool things to see in the US.

I will see something online, TV, or in print and think man I have to go there. That is how the adventure starts with me.
Sponsored