Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Other manufacturers have been very successful with using aluminum in their vehicles, Ford has been one of the leaders in the area with their F-150’s. There is aluminum and steel all over that truck. It all goes back to what the coating is they apply to the fasteners and how well it is applied. I have done collision work for 30+ years on high end vehicles, I hate to say it but Chrysler has never had a good reputation with corrosion on all steel vehicles because of their lack of corrosion protection and as of lately their choices of foam in areas that collect moisture. The fact they are now having galvanic corrosion issues isn’t very surprising. They can come up with solutions but the question is will they. And unfortunately most of the shops doing the warranty work have no clue how to properly repair it.

For example a shop takes the door off and sands it down, even if they take a brand new door say and sand it down. If the sandpaper they used was used prior on steel it will embed small particles of steel in the aluminum and the process starts all over again. If they have the sanded area open to the elements and someone else in the shop is sanding or grinding a steel panel in the area and particles fall on the bare aluminum that can be enough to start the process over again. In my shops we have “clean rooms” that are 100% sealed off and ONLY used for aluminum repairs, in the room we have a complete separate set of tools that ONLY get used on aluminum. Any faster that gets removed gets placed in a bag and is only kept until we match up the new replacement, if we run a screw into a part and have to loosen it or remove it for adjustments that screw once again gets replaced no question.
The process you described was like what the shop my friend used was like. You work in a shop that's certified to repair Audi A8 aluminum cars by any chance? A friend had a Audi A8 that was in a accident. There were only 2-3 shops in the Chicagoland area that were certified to make repairs on them.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Seems that way. I will be going in for my second repair after the whole Corona thing passes. I'm hoping that Jeep extends the Anti-Corrosion warranty from the normal 3 years to Lifetime coverage for those of us that are affected. It would be the right thing to do.
Jeep has had the hinge corrosion problem for a long time. At least since the TJ. My TJ had door hinges and rear gate hinges corrode. I don't think I have ever seen one that was not bad. You think they would have figured out how to correct the problem by now? It's only been like 25 years.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The process you described was like what the shop my friend used was like. You work in a shop that's certified to repair Audi A8 aluminum cars by any chance? A friend had a Audi A8 that was in a accident. There were only 2-3 shops in the Chicagoland area that were certified to make repairs on them.
I am actually a Technical trainer for a large group of 700+ collision shops I cover all of the Midwest. I am Audi certified as well as just about any other OEM that has a certification. I train our guys in the shops on the proper ways to repair the cars.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Jeep has had the hinge corrosion problem for a long time. At least since the TJ. My TJ had door hinges and rear gate hinges corrode. I don't think I have ever seen one that was not bad. You think they would have figured out how to correct the problem by now? It's only been like 25 years.
Past hinge corrosion problems were due to the crappy metal hinge bushings that would quickly corrode and spread to the surfaces of the hinge. Today's issue really isn't a problem with the hinge itself. It sounds like the fasteners that attach the hinge plate to the aluminum doors and hood might not have been coated correctly and are propagating corrosion to the doors and hood.

superK

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Manual
I am waiting for my Jeep to be done. They have had it for almost 2 weeks. Waiting on decals (they didn’t have them before finishing painting) Can you believe that? This is unacceptable for a one-year-old vehicle that costs 50k.

Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Past hinge corrosion problems were due to the crappy metal hinge bushings that would quickly corrode and spread to the surfaces of the hinge. Today's issue really isn't a problem with the hinge itself. It sounds like the fasteners that attach the hinge plate to the aluminum doors and hood might not have been coated correctly and are propagating corrosion to the doors and hood.
My JK had it start on the hinges where it met the door. I bet if you remove a JL hinge it looks like this underneath.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/2007-jku-door-hinge-repaint-pics-corrosion-322591/

Lower Door Hinge Corrosion.jpg

superK

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Manual
I am waiting for my Jeep to be done. They have had it for almost 2 weeks. Waiting on decals (they didn’t have them before finishing painting) Can you believe that? This is unacceptable for a one-year-old vehicle that costs 50k.
I got my Jeep back from the dealer after they tried to fix the rust issue. Exactly like I expected they did a horrendous job. They broke the latches of the removable hard top, broke the engine liner, there were 50% missing plastic clips from liners they needed to remove, they painted over labels/stickers (main VIN label from door, another one from driver door, and another one from the inside of the hood), I am not even sure at this point how they will replace the VIN label?; the paint job was mediocre to say the least, missing/dripping paint, missing clear coat, they damaged one weather strip from the hard top, driver door was also misaligned; they couldn’t really match the paint, and also left some of the chemical weld (or whatever this is) soft and of course that it messing up the paint integrity. On top of that, the car was delivered to me dirty on the inside (I guess they could have cleaned it decently). I took the advantage of requesting a multimedia unit replacement since the car was going to be at the shop for a few days (because it was getting frozen) and when I got the car back the supposedly new unit was freezing also (unbelievable). They took 3 weeks to complete this mess. I guess I should be grateful they gave me a minivan as a rental to go off roading instead of a Jeep. This was a dealer in Miami, FL (Planet Dodge). At this point I would be soooo happy if FCA buys the Jeep back! I am not buying any FCA product EVER again. They act like they are doing you a favor, of course that is only after you buy a $50k crappy vehicle and basically are stock with it. I don’t know who should I direct my concerns to besides alerting people on this forum. I am sure Jeep Cares is going to reply something like “we are very sorry about your experience, contact us privately to see how we can help” and that is going to be the end of the story. We’ll see. Keep you guys posted.

Soli

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Moab
I have a 2019 JLU Moab sting gray and all the door hinges are bubbling like the jks did. All my hinges except the tailgate. Anyone have ideas or suggestions. I took it into the dealer but they haven’t contacted me back and its been a month. I ordered the derlin sleeves that go inside the hinge but whats the paint solution? Id rather not have all 4 doors repainted since im afraid the paint wont match

F37DD7E8-5125-42A7-819E-2E3EE328A18D.jpeg

E4A64559-E0E0-46FD-9ED2-E54540C8FE71.jpeg
Sponsored