Bubbles and Door Hinges in MI

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
Is there a reliable dealership that has taken care of this issue in the Detroit area?

Please and thank you!
Sponsored

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Lafontaine Body shop in Fenton did mine. It took some time (5-6 weeks). The results are good so far (completed in August '21). Only time will tell on how it will hold up. Mine originally started bubbling at 5-6k (tailgate hinge first, then door hinges and one hood hinge) and it went in at 19k for the paint repairs. Take pics, work with the dealership/body shop team, wait for Stellantis approval then get a schedule and if under warranty, a loaner, as the repairs take time and I think the worker labor shortages and the scope of this issue means they are stacked with work.

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Lafontaine Body shop in Fenton did mine. It took some time (5-6 weeks). The results are good so far (completed in August '21). Only time will tell on how it will hold up. Mine originally started bubbling at 5-6k (tailgate hinge first, then door hinges and one hood hinge) and it went in at 19k for the paint repairs. Take pics, work with the dealership/body shop team, wait for Stellantis approval then get a schedule and if under warranty, a loaner, as the repairs take time and I think the worker labor shortages and the scope of this issue means they are stacked with work.
Did Stellantis replace panels or just fix them??

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Did Stellantis replace panels or just fix them??
They did not replace panels: dis-assembled, prepped (I assume sanded areas of bubbled corrosion then primed and re-painted doors, hood, tailgate and reapplied hood decals). Paint matched and no issues or problems with the job now after 1.5 years.

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Just picked up my 2019 after it’s third paint job…
First time it returned after 13 weeks…
Second time after 16 weeks…
Third time a charm??
🤞🏼

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I was scheduled to go in today for the third time for paint bubbling on the hinges. I got a call yesterday saying they have been informed of new parts and processes. They are going over the further instructions and ordering the parts. New hinges and some gasket material are to isolate the metals. However, I don't know what that will do for the door edges.

Reactions: LCW

drichard989

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I was scheduled to go in today for the third time for paint bubbling on the hinges. I got a call yesterday saying they have been informed of new parts and processes. They are going over the further instructions and ordering the parts. New hinges and some gasket material are to isolate the metals. However, I don't know what that will do for the door edges.

I wonder if there is a new TSB coming down

drichard989

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
They really should add a film part and we can all pre-emptively add a gasket to them. I might just go order some 3M film

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
They really should add a film part and we can all pre-emptively add a gasket to them. I might just go order some 3M film
Would need to make sure the screws are also isolated from the aluminum. Otherwise they can galvanically react with the aluminum too. The zinc plating on fasteners would only last so long as sacrificial anode.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

MJS

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
I take mine in on Monday for paint work, tailgate hinges to start. I see a small bubble on a door panel now. Feels like there are years of headaches ahead.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles and Door Hinges in MI TailgateTo

• Sad
Reactions: LCW

x83762

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I take mine in on Monday for paint work, tailgate hinges to start. I see a small bubble on a door panel now. Feels like there are years of headaches ahead.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles and Door Hinges in MI TailgateTo
Hey Matt....any update? I just found issues with my hinge / door panels as well (here in michigan). where did you take it?

Reactions: MJS

MJS

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Yep! Update on corrosion and battery issues- 2020 Wranger- 17k miles:
I picked it up on Saturday; they had the jeep for just under three weeks. The paintwork looks good, they painted the rear door where the issue was in addition to the front door and front quarter panel to ensure a good match; they replaced both batteries. All was covered by warranty. Here are some photos and the detail of their work to correct the issues....for now. Autoland in NJ- They were very easy to deal with.

WorkDetail.jpg

BartteryDetail.jpg

TailgateTop.jpg

TailTopFin.jpg

BackDriversideDoor.jpg

DoorFin.jpg

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Yep! Update on corrosion and battery issues- 2020 Wranger- 17k miles:
I picked it up on Saturday; they had the jeep for just under three weeks. The paintwork looks good, they painted the rear door where the issue was in addition to the front door and front quarter panel to ensure a good match; they replaced both batteries. All was covered by warranty. Here are some photos and the detail of their work to correct the issues....for now. Autoland in NJ- They were very easy to deal with.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles and Door Hinges in MI DoorFin

I recently had mine submitted for paint bubbles on doors and rear hinge. What kind of feedback did the shop provide, if any, how they are preventing it from reoccurring? Also, about how long did it take from the time the repair submitted for approval to paint job completed?

Mgdstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X, 2007 & 2008 Sahara Unlimited
My 2008 Sahara had what look like rust that was painted over on all the hinges; however, 174,000 miles later it never changed and looks exactly the same, no rust has penetrate the paint. Alls well that ends well.
Sponsored