First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Wondering what the experience is like. I’ve driven ESS and wasn’t impressed. Probably can learn to live with it but hoping with BSG it was a seemless transition from stop to start. Any enjoying the BSG going from stop to start on the 2.0?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Very very seamless actually, no lag and it's very get up and go once you're off the brake and on the throttle. The ESS is actually very sensitive, for me at least. If you let off the brake even slightly the engine starts running again. You can actually put enough pressure on the brake to stay still but not activate the ESS as well so it's not just the moment you come to a full stop it's on.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Then it sounds like no need to deactivate. That’s an improvement that would save city fuel waste.

Hopefully it’s made available on the diesel. I’m hearing on the 3.6 it might be 2020 release.

If the diesel never materializes then this 2.0 is now my backup plan.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the ESS with BSG is pretty seamless. I was originally against the 2.0 Turbo and auto start stop until I looked further into the technology, looked at the HP and the Torque, then actually drove one. At first you slightly notice it and try to control your brief stops by performing rolling stops. But after a while you just drive like you normally drive and you don't even notice it. My biggest concern with the Auto Start/Stop was the cranking of the engine, causing wear on the engine, starter and battery. But once I saw how the BSG works and how seamless it was along with the HP and torque, it wasn't a hard decision. The 48v battery and BSG actually act like an electric car with instant power when you let off the brake. Once your moving the cylinders start firing. With the added turbo its super quick. I'm happy with mine.

CharlieS3

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I really don't understand all the people upset over the ESS. Mine comes on instantly when I start to lift the brake pressure a little. Slight lag only if you come off the brake and immediately jam the gas, otherwise not noticable. Its really more a matter of learning to drive a bit differently. I anticipate light changes and just lift my foot a second or two earlier, just enough to start the engine but not move. I have a light foot, deliberately. Professional driving means knowing how your vehicle operates, and operating it in accordance with the systems it has.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
As other people have said, the BSG is pretty seamless. It definitely makes it feel like the 2.0 has more power off the line than the 3.6.

It'll be cool to see what the 3.6 JLs feel like once they get the BSGs in them.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
As other people have said, the BSG is pretty seamless. It definitely makes it feel like the 2.0 has more power off the line than the 3.6.

It'll be cool to see what the 3.6 JLs feel like once they get the BSGs in them.
I’m also interested in the 3.6 BSG to see if that’s the perceived performance increase felt. I’m considering towing a boat and now wondering if a Gladiator is better solution which at the moment only available with 3.6 last I checked. Guessing once the diesel option comes that would also have BSG.
Sponsored