Brutally played by Southern Jeep Chrysler in Chesapeake VA

Leolo007

First Name
Leonel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CRV, looking to buy a JL Sport S.
If you're on Facebook you might have seen my post but I have to share my experience so other don't fall for this sh*t.

I'm glad I posted my story though because it has created some excellent leads including this forum site!

Had a terrible experience this weekend. We are not Jeep owners... yet.

This was Southern Jeep Chrysler in Chesapeak, VA.

Classic bait and switch!

I inquired online about a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S with V6 and auto trans. They contacted me by text message. I immediately asked for an out-the-door price for the above vehicle. They gave me a number.
I thought it was a great deal and set up a time to go visit for the purchase.

When I arrived I went to the person I was texting with and told her I wanted to see the Jeep I was quoted. She said she was the internet lady and a salesman would show me the way.

The sales man tells me they have the largest selection of Wranglers in the area. I told him I was there only to see the one I was quoted.

He goes finds the keys and brings it around. I go out and it was a Sport, not a Sport S. (Is he trying to sell me a Sport?). I have small kids so I need power windows and locks. I said no.

He apologizes and goes to the office. Comes back out and and tells me that the Sport S only comes in two doors. (Is he trying to sell me a 2 door now?). I said no, the unlimited is 4 doors.

So he goes back into the office and comes out with some keys. And he asks you want manual right? (is he trying to sell me a manual?). I said no, the quote is for an automatic.

So he goes back in. He comes out with keys and says let's go for a test drives. It's the right Wrangler, right color, right transmission, right amount of doors. We go for the drive. I fall in love. But I happen to ask, this is a 2019 right? He says no it's a 2018 (is he trying to sell me a 2018 now?).

We go to his office and he finally shows me on the computer screen the right Wrangler 2019 everything is perfect. FINALLY! I didn't need a test drive, I was exhausted already, plus I knew what I was getting.

We talk about my trade-in and he comes back with a paper with all the numbers. The sale price on the Jeep was $5,000 over what I was quoted!!

I said that's not what I was quoted. Salesman says that's the best we can do, you can speak to the manager if you'd like. So I did.

Manager says the quoted price was a mistake and he's not authorized to go lower on the price.

A mistake? At this point I had literally been there for well over 3 hours. They could have told me that this was a mistake when I asked to see the Jeep I was quoted. Not after they try to sell me 4 different vehicles of lesser value than the one I was quoted.

They said they would speak with the VP and he would contact me Monday. I waited till today to see if they would make it right. But not a word, so I decided to share my experience. This is the worst of the worst dealership practices I have seen. Stay away!!

My boys sawa Jeep in the showroom and picked punkn color. They destroyed their joy when we drove home without a Jeep. :(

IMG-20190629-WA0007.jpg
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If you're on Facebook you might have seen my post but I have to share my experience so other don't fall for this sh*t.

I'm glad I posted my story though because it has created some excellent leads including this forum site!

Classic bait and switch!

I inquired online about a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S with V6 and auto trans. They contacted me by text message. I immediately asked for an out-the-door price for the above vehicle. They gave me a number.

When I arrived I went to the person I was texting with and told her I wanted to see the Jeep I was quoted. She said she was the internet lady and a salesman would show me the way.

The sales man tells me they have the largest selection of Wranglers in the area. I told him I was there only to see the one I was quoted.

He goes finds the keys and brings it around. I go out and it was a Sport, not a Sport S. (Is he trying to sell me a Sport?). I have small kids so I need power windows and locks. I said no.

He apologizes and goes to the office. Comes back out and and tells me that the Sport S only comes in two doors. (Is he trying to sell me a 2 door now?). I said no, the unlimited is 4 doors.

So he goes back into the office and comes out with some keys. And he asks you want manual right? (is he trying to sell me a manual?). I said no, the quote is for an automatic.

So he goes back in. He comes out with keys and says let's go for a test drives. It's the right Wrangler, right color, right transmission, right amount of doors. We go for the drive. I fall in love. But I happen to ask, this is a 2019 right? He says no it's a 2018 (is he trying to sell me a 2018 now?).

We go to his office and he finally shows me on the computer screen the right Wrangler 2019 everything is perfect. FINALLY! I didn't need a test drive, I was exhausted already, plus I knew what I was getting.

We talk about my trade-in and he comes back with a paper with all the numbers. The sale price on the Jeep was $5,000 over what I was quoted!!

I said that's not what I was quoted. Salesman says that's the best we can do, you can speak to the manager if you'd like. So I did.

Manager says the quoted price was a mistake and he's not authorized to go lower on the price.

A mistake? At this point I had literally been there for well over 3 hours. They could have told me that this was a mistake when I asked to see the Jeep I was quoted. Not after they try to sell me 4 different vehicles of lesser value than the one I was quoted.

They said they would speak with the VP and he would contact me Monday. I waited till today to see if they would make it right. But not a word, so I decided to share my experience. This is the worst of the worst dealership practices I have seen. Stay away!!

My boys sawa Jeep in the showroom and picked punkn color. They destroyed their joy when we drove home without a Jeep. :(

IMG-20190629-WA0007.jpg
That dealership is a pile of shit. They did the same with me. Online had a price. Emailed. They texted to come in; confirmed the jeep and price. Came in and some story about that being "Special pricing" and not applicable; $5600 more than advertised. I asked for the manager; told me same thing; so I told him to go f@ck himself in front of a pretty busy dealership and walked out. My wife didn't talk to me for a week ;)

I reported them to the BBB as they wasted 1.5 hours of my time driving each way for their bait and switch.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That dealership is a pile of shit. They did the same with me. Online had a price. Emailed. They texted to come in; confirmed the jeep and price. Came in and some story about that being "Special pricing" and not applicable; $5600 more than advertised. I asked for the manager; told me same thing; so I told him to go f@ck himself in front of a pretty busy dealership and walked out. My wife didn't talk to me for a week ;)

I reported them to the BBB as they wasted 1.5 hours of my time driving each way for their bait and switch.
Why didn’t your wife talk to you for a week?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
This is why I pick the dealer first and then the Jeep. That same Jeep can be bought from any dealer close enough to do a dealer trade or you can factory order.

Sponsored

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
If you want an honest dealer who will deliver the vehicle to your door call DL Jones 336-200-2525, they dont charge any dealer fee's it's the discounted price plus tax and actual DMV fee's

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
It may be worth talking to Koons in Northern VA (that is where I got mine) or Criswell in MD. Both will give you hard numbers via email or phone and won't jerk you around.

The drive is longer from Cheasapeake, VA but the buying experience is painless and you'll get a better deal.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Classic bait and switch!

Remember, no one on the planet wants to grow up to be a car salesman. It is one of the jobs of last choice, so you are having to deal with people who have failed miserably. http://mentalfloss.com/article/510371/10-confessions-car-salesmen

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon in Ocean Blue Metallic
I will second Koons in Sterling and I have also had good luck at Lindsay in Manassas. I have bought three vehicles their an their WOW pricing is generally better than any other discount. I just bought my JL in Culpeper and they quoted an out the door price that they stuck with as well. And it was really good.

One of the things I always do is build the Jeep i want with USAA to get a TrueCar price. That is usually a good, honest starting point to start negotiations with the various dealerships in my area.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I will second Koons in Sterling and I have also had good luck at Lindsay in Manassas. I have bought three vehicles their an their WOW pricing is generally better than any other discount. I just bought my JL in Culpeper and they quoted an out the door price that they stuck with as well. And it was really good.

One of the things I always do is build the Jeep i want with USAA to get a TrueCar price. That is usually a good, honest starting point to start negotiations with the various dealerships in my area.
Others are also praising Koons - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/224842844/?q=koons&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Sponsored

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Reporting them to the BBB is a good idea, but personally I'd file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's office. I'm not an attorney but I do believe deliberate bait-and-switch is illegal.

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
Theoretically, you might be able to take the position that you had a contract with them based on the texts. It would depend on the wording of your email/text exchanges with them. The legal requirements for the formation of a contract are that there be an offer, an acceptance, and consideration. Most states now have adopted a version of an electronic signatures act, allowing email and text communications to be the basis of a contract and a signature.

Honestly, it would be probably be an uphill battle to prove, but it might be one they don't want to spend time paying their lawyer to deal with. To succeed, you'd probably have to show that it was for a very specific vehicle (say, by VIN number or possibly dealer stock number), that you had a firm price, and that you said you'd take it. If there were conditions (such as a test drive) or you said something like "I'll come take a look...", this theory probably won't work. If the wording in your messages was exactly right, a test drive might still not be fatal to your argument. You'd need to run it by a lawyer in your jurisdiction.

Again, this is theoretical, and will depend greatly on the wording in the emails, any disclaimers on their website in the fine print (if that's where you started the dialog), etc. Plus, you'd have to decide on whether you want to spend $$ and time on it to make a point, or just go find another Jeep you love from someone that is honest and reputable.

I second the idea that either way you should forward this to the consumer protection division of your state's Attorney General's office. Tell them that it is your position you had a contract for the purchase of that specific vehicle at a set price, and that the dealership breached it. If nothing else, you might cause them a headache in having to respond to an inquiry.

OP
OP

Leolo007

First Name
Leonel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone. I have filed a complaint with the Virginia Motor Vehicle Dealer Board.

OP
OP

Leolo007

First Name
Leonel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Screenshot_20190701-225659.jpg
Sponsored