Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I am not understanding your issue with the Jeeps hardtop. The Bronco has the exact same style hard top where you need to store the rear shell somewhere if you want to take it off. The doors you cannot store in the Jeep but if you store the doors in the back of the Bronco you lose all rear cargo room as well as all rear visibility.
I don't blame you, because admittedly I was a little confused myself and there aren't a lot of info on the web.

But overall the Bronco hardtop is 4 pcs instead of 3 and removal seems to be easier, and likely doable solo without any hoisting tools (big points here). And also easier to store because the rear portion of the hardtop is lighter and has a smaller footprint without the passenger roof section extending over like on the Wrangler.

Even without removing the rear portion, you can have a full open air experience, even for the rear passengers.

I was under (the wrong) impression that the side panels of the rear hardtop are also removable, but that does not seem to the case. (yet)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver Bronco_4dr_features_05
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Shots fired lol
Itā€™s my biggest pet peeve lol. ā€œTrucks are so bigā€ nope EVERY vehicle has gotten bigger. If anything trucks have grown less than other vehicles. (The way trucks have grown is just that crew cabs are way more prevalent, but bed sizes have gone down so they still arenā€™t that much longer)

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill

I was under (the wrong) impression that the side panels of the rear hardtop are also removable, but that does not seem to the case. (yet)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver Bronco_4dr_features_05
They do on the higher end hard tops. Similar to the JL with the power top. Thereā€™s a picture or a video of them taking it out somewhere but I couldnā€™t find it with a quick google.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver E19FE0A2-682A-4885-B4F7-477C315C33F3

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
They do on the higher end hard tops. Similar to the JL with the power top. Thereā€™s a picture or a video of them taking it out somewhere but I couldnā€™t find it with a quick google.
E19FE0A2-682A-4885-B4F7-477C315C33F3.jpeg
Ah! even better! I knew I remember seeing it somewhere..

Thank you for finding this.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I'd love to be able to take my doors off when riding to the trails then put them back on when I get there.
You really want those doors to smash around in the cargo area while offroading huh?
My 4 friends and myself made the wrong decision to get coffee before out last offroad trip..... all 4 vehicles had platter everywhere haha. I imagine for doors, even with them strapped down, will be a bit of an issue.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You really want those doors to smash around in the cargo area while offroading huh?
My 4 friends and myself made the wrong decision to get coffee before out last offroad trip..... all 4 vehicles had platter everywhere haha. I imagine for doors, even with them strapped down, will be a bit of an issue.
Reread my post.

I'd love to be able to take my doors off when riding TO the trails then put them back on when I get there.
I also offroad with multiple tool boxes that are ratchet strapped down, not once has anything flown around anywhere.

Last edited:

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I can see how being able to store the doors onboard could be useful in certain situations for some people. My concern would be the window seals and glass alignment over time with a frameless door. I could see window problems in a few years happening.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I can see how being able to store the doors onboard could be useful in certain situations for some people. My concern would be the window seals and glass alignment over time with a frameless door. I could see window problems in a few years happening.
Curious which one would you choose?

1) Standard half doors on any models straight from day 1 of production. (no extra cost and no zipper windows)

2) Replace window seals every few years.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Very true. And let's not forget that the original Bronco was developed / produced copying the original Jeep CJ to give Ford it's own slice of the pie.
And the CJ was an updated Willys MB, which was also manufactured by... Ford. The history goes back a lot further than the CJ or MB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

A challenge I have presented to people that claim the same thing is this. Find me a vehicle, that carries the same nameplate, that has changed less in length/width than an F-150 from 2001 until now.
44259267-8511-4EF8-818A-473F9E71F2B7.jpeg
1348D3BA-981E-4701-8342-2D2A59D3DE70.jpeg
I'll bite. Miata is always the answer.

'01 Miata'21 MiataMiata '01 vs '21F150 '01 vs '21
Wheelbase89.491.11.76.9
Length155.5154.1-1.45.8
Width66.168.120.6
Height48.448.60.23.3

Yes, I know the Miata grew more in width, but this is probably because the Ford is 79.9". If it was 80", it would be put it in some commercial vehicle categories which have additional requirements (like the extra lights on the Raptor). The base F150 literally can't get any wider than it already is.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
This is personally my main apprehension with the Bronco. Those sealing/mating surfaces obviously have way tighter tolerances than a framed door. What happens if you roll or just scrape the top of the cage against a rock, is it time for a whole new cage? Or can just parts be replaced?

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
And the CJ was an updated Willys MB, which was also manufactured by... Ford. The history goes back a lot further than the CJ or MB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

I'll bite. Miata is always the answer.

'01 Miata'21 MiataMiata '01 vs '21F150 '01 vs '21
Wheelbase89.491.11.76.9
Length155.5154.1-1.45.8
Width66.168.120.6
Height48.448.60.23.3

Yes, I know the Miata grew more in width, but this is probably because the Ford is 79.9". If it was 80", it would be put it in some commercial vehicle categories which have additional requirements (like the extra lights on the Raptor). The base F150 literally can't get any wider than it already is.
Props, thatā€™s the first time someoneā€™s found something! Nice work.

Also, props to Mazda for keeping the Miata true to its roots.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Side note. That Bronco has probably got the ugliest looking hood ever created. I saw the drive around they did at King of Hammers with interior view and it looked even worse from inside the cab with those stupid fins on the ends.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Props, thatā€™s the first time someoneā€™s found something! Nice work.

Also, props to Mazda for keeping the Miata true to its roots.
The Lotus Elise works too... but that is kind of cheating.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Of course Ford built them during the War. Just like Singer produced Colt 1911's. They needed to ramp up production for the war effort.

Ford GPW = G: Government contract, P: 80-inch wheelbase, and W: Willys design.

It was until 1965 when Ford introduced the Bronco to compete against the CJ-5 and International Harvester Scout.

FYI... Both the first Land Rovers and first Land Cruisers were inspired and based upon the Willys MB; but they didn't wait until 1965.
Sponsored