Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Oh, it's totally a marketing gimmick to one-up Jeep, but it simply isn't practical. I can't wait for the YouTube video of someone tossing their doors in the back, hitting a trail, and one of them flying out and hitting the driver or a spotter or something.
Sure, everything is a gimmick if it doesn't apply to you.

Imagine if we took that approach to everything we do.

For 99.9% of the population out there, everything we talk about on this forum is a gimmick.
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
The mirrors look like they can fold in fairly well, shouldn't be a huge issues for most people, unless you do trails hardcore enough to warrant their removal, I'm sure they can be

Foldable as in break-away or folding them out of the way kinda like the CH's of yesteryear?
Obviously all mirrors are removable to one extent or another, but if they could be folded along with the arm's - that would be nice. 'Cuz who doesn't Ike to see a rooster tail of mud, snow or sand now and then?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Sure, everything is a gimmick if it doesn't apply to you.

Imagine if we took that approach to everything we do.
No, it's a marketing gimmick because it's a marketing gimmick. It's as much of a marketing gimmick as the Wrangler's folding windshield that virtually nobody uses. And it's fine; I don't blame them for doing it. But there's theory vs. application and I doubt we'll see the majority of Bronco owners carrying doors around.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
The mirrors look like they can fold in fairly well, shouldn't be a huge issues for most people, unless you do trails hardcore enough to warrant their removal, I'm sure they can be removed.
Here’s how they fold just for reference
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver 06468884-F3E6-46EC-8DE9-2E47DE425942

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I hate hate HATE when people say this. Such a dumb myth, full size trucks have been basically the same size for decades now. 79” wide, length depends on the bed/can size of course, and height has gone up just like it has for EVERY type of vehicle.

If anything, trucks have actually grown less. A 2-door JL is WAY bigger than a TJ. A 2020 F-150 crew cab short bed is basically identical to one from 30 years ago in width and length.
uh....ill never claim to be the smartest guy in the room, but comparing a 2020 f150 to a 2000 f150, the 2020 is about 7” wider and 6-7” longer wheel base. Height not withstanding. The current Silverado HD is nearly a foot longer than the predecessor, and 20” longer wheel base than 20 years ago. Ill fully admit i was shocked to see a 2000 f150 is the same width as a current. I would have absolutely lost money on that bet.

jeeps got gigantic compared to their predecessors too, of course.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
No, it's a marketing gimmick because it's a marketing gimmick. It's as much of a marketing gimmick as the Wrangler's folding windshield that virtually nobody uses. And it's fine; I don't blame them for doing it. But there's theory vs. application and I doubt we'll see the majority of Bronco owners carrying doors around.
I might actually be the few of those who can see myself using this 'gimmick'.
Where I previously wouldn't have ever considered removing the doors on my Wrangler -- due to many reasons I've listed previously.

I can see myself going for a nice afternoon drive around town or playing in mild ruts near where I live with the doors off, and easily put them back on when I'm done.

With that train of thought, I can probably convince 10 more people to do the same where they previously would have never considered it.

For extended trips, no, I wouldn't be using it. But options are always nice to have.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
"Ford did tell us that the driver's-side roof panel must be removed first, which is pretty negligible, as both panels eventually need to be removed anyway."

I don't know why they went out of the way to point this out. The same holds true for the Wrangler.
The same does not hold true for the JL. You can remove just the driver side, or just the passenger side, of the freedom top if you want. You can also put both of them (or just one) back in place after removing the back if you want.

I don't see many people driving with just one freedom panel removed, but it can be done and I have done it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I might actually be the few of those who can see myself using this 'gimmick'.
Hey, if it works for you, great! If I end up being wrong and every Bronco owner decides to carry their doors around as a right of passage, I don't think I'm gonna lose any sleep.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Oh, it's totally a marketing gimmick to one-up Jeep, but it simply isn't practical. I can't wait for the YouTube video of someone tossing their doors in the back, hitting a trail, and one of them flying out and hitting the driver or a spotter or something.
Had not really thought of that. Unintended consequences of what seem to be good decisions can be pretty bad!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey, if it works for you, great! If I end up being wrong and every Bronco owner decides to carry their doors around as a right of passage, I don't think I'm gonna lose any sleep.
Glad we can sort of agree on something.
Regardless if people actually want to carry the doors around, I think Jeep can take some notes on how Ford did their doors, especially their doors that pretty much function like half doors straight from production, and the ease of install/removal, plus the plug connections.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The same does not hold true for the JL. You can remove just the driver side, or just the passenger side, of the freedom top if you want. You can also put both of them (or just one) back in place after removing the back if you want.

I don't see many people driving with just one freedom panel removed, but it can be done and I have done it.
Yes, the same holds true. Please go back and read what was quoted.

What the quote and I were referring to is, that you need to remove the driver panel first.

This had nothing to do with removing and driving with one side out only.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
uh....ill never claim to be the smartest guy in the room, but comparing a 2020 f150 to a 2000 f150, the 2020 is about 7” wider and 6-7” longer wheel base. Height not withstanding. The current Silverado HD is nearly a foot longer than the predecessor, and 20” longer wheel base than 20 years ago. Ill fully admit i was shocked to see a 2000 f150 is the same width as a current. I would have absolutely lost money on that bet.

jeeps got gigantic compared to their predecessors too, of course.
No.

Here’s an apples to apples comparison. 2001 crew cab short bed vs 2021 crew cab short bed. They are not that different.

A challenge I have presented to people that claim the same thing is this. Find me a vehicle, that carries the same nameplate, that has changed less in length/width than an F-150 from 2001 until now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver 44259267-8511-4EF8-818A-473F9E71F2B7
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver 1348D3BA-981E-4701-8342-2D2A59D3DE70

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Apparently you can store all the doors and roof panels in the back of the Bronco, which is a huge plus for me. Mirror attached to the body is a no-brainer.

And it seems like removing doors and panels are easier on the Bronco as well.

As someone who lives in a condo. I don't want to deal with hoists and lifts, and I don't want to deal with door hangers. This is a huge turn-off and the only reason restricting me from taking off my hardtop and doors on my JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver 1348D3BA-981E-4701-8342-2D2A59D3DE70

I am not understanding your issue with the Jeeps hardtop. The Bronco has the exact same style hard top where you need to store the rear shell somewhere if you want to take it off. The doors you cannot store in the Jeep but if you store the doors in the back of the Bronco you lose all rear cargo room as well as all rear visibility.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I hate hate HATE when people say this. Such a dumb myth, full size trucks have been basically the same size for decades now. 79” wide, length depends on the bed/can size of course, and height has gone up just like it has for EVERY type of vehicle.

If anything, trucks have actually grown less. A 2-door JL is WAY bigger than a TJ. A 2020 F-150 crew cab short bed is basically identical to one from 30 years ago in width and length.
Shots fired lol
Sponsored