Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Of course Ford built them during the War. Just like Singer produced Colt 1911's. They needed to ramp up production for the war effort.

Ford GPW = G: Government contract, P: 80-inch wheelbase, and W: Willys design.

It was until 1965 when Ford introduced the Bronco to compete against the CJ-5 and International Harvester Scout.

FYI... Both the first Land Rovers and first Land Cruisers were inspired and based upon the Willys MB; but they didn't wait until 1965.
The Ford Pygmy was designed and submitted by Ford in 1940.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...y-to-go-on-national-historic-vehicle-register
Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Side note. That Bronco has probably got the ugliest looking hood ever created. I saw the drive around they did at King of Hammers with interior view and it looked even worse from inside the cab with those stupid fins on the ends.
I agree. What the hell is up with the stupid grab handles on the front fenders?!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
From the link I posed earlier:
The design of the World War II jeep was the result of a long process, involving the contributions of both U.S. military officers and civilian engineers. The idea of the jeep originated with the infantry, which needed a low, powerful vehicle with four-wheel drive — the latter were mostly tied to three companies: Bantam, Willys, and Ford, with the development repeatedly being described as a "design by committee".[15][16][17] In fall 1941, Lt. E.P. Hogan of the U.S. Quartermaster Corps wrote: "Credit for the original design of the Army's truck 1⁄4-ton, 4x4, may not be claimed by any single individual or manufacturer. This vehicle is the result of much research and many tests."

Ford GPW = G: Government contract, P: 80-inch wheelbase, and W: Willys design.
And before the GPW there was the GP:
With about 4,458 units built, the Ford GP became not only the most numerous of the pre-standardized jeeps[35] — it was also the first jeep fielded in some numbers to U.S. Army units. The Ford's overall design and quality of construction had advantages over the Bantam and Willys models, but the GP's engine, an adaptation of the Model N tractor engine, was underpowered and insufficiently reliable.

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Had not really thought of that. Unintended consequences of what seem to be good decisions can be pretty bad!
There are straps for the doors to hold it in place in the trunk area iirc.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
And the CJ was an updated Willys MB, which was also manufactured by... Ford. The history goes back a lot further than the CJ or MB. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

I'll bite. Miata is always the answer.

'01 Miata'21 MiataMiata '01 vs '21F150 '01 vs '21
Wheelbase89.491.11.76.9
Length155.5154.1-1.45.8
Width66.168.120.6
Height48.448.60.23.3

Yes, I know the Miata grew more in width, but this is probably because the Ford is 79.9". If it was 80", it would be put it in some commercial vehicle categories which have additional requirements (like the extra lights on the Raptor). The base F150 literally can't get any wider than it already is.
Damn nice find! However also to be fair Miata is a fairly niche vehicle in that it's not a huge volume seller, and catered to unique market. Other cars that are more "popular" I agree with Nick in general.

It's for attaching limb risers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs. Wrangler - Door and Roof Removal Comparison by Car and Driver 1614895844984
IIRC I also think Ford mentioned you can attach other accessories there too. As to what accessories, not sure.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Damn nice find! However also to be fair Miata is a fairly niche vehicle in that it's not a huge volume seller, and catered to unique market. Other cars that are more "popular" I agree with Nick in general.
Funny, I chose the Miata because I felt that the Lotus Elise was cheating. But yeah, cars are fat now. I feel like my JLR dwarfs a stock XJ.

S2000 vs. S600
ANA03_306089985_AR_-1_0.jpg

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
From the link I posed earlier:
The design of the World War II jeep was the result of a long process, involving the contributions of both U.S. military officers and civilian engineers. The idea of the jeep originated with the infantry, which needed a low, powerful vehicle with four-wheel drive — the latter were mostly tied to three companies: Bantam, Willys, and Ford, with the development repeatedly being described as a "design by committee".[15][16][17] In fall 1941, Lt. E.P. Hogan of the U.S. Quartermaster Corps wrote: "Credit for the original design of the Army's truck 1⁄4-ton, 4x4, may not be claimed by any single individual or manufacturer. This vehicle is the result of much research and many tests."

And before the GPW there was the GP:
With about 4,458 units built, the Ford GP became not only the most numerous of the pre-standardized jeeps[35] — it was also the first jeep fielded in some numbers to U.S. Army units. The Ford's overall design and quality of construction had advantages over the Bantam and Willys models, but the GP's engine, an adaptation of the Model N tractor engine, was underpowered and insufficiently reliable.
So in a nutshell, American Bantam designed the car, Willys the engine and Ford's factories provided the production might.

And the 1965 Bronco was designed to compete with Jeep CJ and IH Scout... Just as the 2021 or is it now 2022 Bronco has been designed to compete against the JL and JLU basing much of their design with some tweaks and features on what Jeep currently offers. Nothing really revolutionary. Jeep even beat them to the punch with the diesel, then the 392 and finally the 4xe.

But, hey! It is still a nice vehicle even if it looks like a Jeep with a different grill, IFS, and if sloppy seconds are your thing.

Last edited:

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I prefer the 2dr. Bronco but think being able to store the doors in the back on the 4 Dr. is a great idea. I watched video of how they're stored & strapped down and it's a good design IMO.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Seems like Ford listened to all the criticisms and suggestions that Jeep owners have been making to FCA about the Wrangler for years and tried to address as many of them as possible on the Bronco.
I was part of that focus group. Like what they did, but failure to launch has led folks to the JL since the Bronco is a year away.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
How can they compare a real vehicle vs an imaginary one that won't deliver for 6 months?
The design is locked in and finalized so they can comment on those design features...

Also deliveries are scheduled to begin in 2-3 months. Initial production for dealer demos and review units are starting at the end of this month/beginning of next month.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
No, I'd probably bring them up into my condo through the elevator. And since they are in bags, I can probably do 1 in each hand, considering they are 5-10lbs lighter than Jeep's and half the size.

But if I'm just going out to play in the dirt for a day, I'd keep the doors on for the highway miles, take the doors off when I hit the trails. Put them in bags and toss them to the back. When I'm done, I can just bolt them right back on and drive home comfortably on the highway with the doors IN.

Even if I can handle the constant blast of wind and ear-drum popping noise for hours, my wife can't.
Well, if you're married, you're used to that ear-drum popping noise for hours. 😁
Sponsored