Sponsored

Bronco Raptor reviews drop (embargo lift)

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
36psi is actually what is recommended. Dealers keep them anywhere from 38-42psi to make the gas numbers look a little better for people who don’t know any better. Around 32psi is what quite a few people end up with
IIRC correctly, it's 37 on the Rubicons (at least the 4xe).

Even at that, it's more than enough capacity:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco Raptor reviews drop (embargo lift) 1655752173768

2,189x4= 8,756 lbs, compared to a GVWR of 6,400 lbs.
Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is that for the 4xe though?

I’m pretty sure rubi 4xe has same tires as normal 4 door rubi, but weighs 10-12% more. I assumed the ideal tire pressure was a little higher. (I’ve never paid much attention to tire pressure, just assuming it’s critical for wranglers)
As I was corrected it’s 37psi. And you’re correct lowering tire pressure to soak up bumps on the road is critical for wranglers lol.
Ive got a sport with full skids, rock sliders, steel front and rear bumpers, a winch, and a heavier spare+wheel combo and 32psi gives me the best chalk test method. So you’re probably not that much heavier than me if you’re still stock as you think.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I found the weight chart that Ford published with all the configuration weights back when we were shopping late last fall. I couldn't believe they could make a 2 door 4 cylinder weigh 4500, but the Badlands 4 door was well over 5K. When I saw the Raptor, I was thinking it would be a LITTLE closer to the Badlands 4 door, but it's another quarter ton. I don't care that it has 400HP, it's a big piggy. 375HP of 440 in a 4000 lb. Chrysler whale from 1969 will feel a lot more peppy than 400HP in a 5750 lb. rig. That's 2 freaking tons with a 3 liter V6. That thing is going to be in boost all the time just rolling that weight down the road.

It's an interesting rig for suspension, really nice looking components. But, where you going to run high speed offroad where there isn't the possibility of hitting other offroad users? Motorcycles, quads, side by sides, all of them are out there and a 5800 lb rig can do a lot of damage.
I actually registered on that bronco forum.

I even posted in a thread that the 2door bronco with the 2.7Ltt might hit 0-60 in high 4’s stock and dip into the 3’s with the a tune. The bronco forum guys, which pretty much none of them are gear heads, thought I was crazy. But it’s actually pretty reasonable considering a massive crew cab f150 with the exact same motor is doing around high 5’s 0-60 and I believe 5.0 maybe even high 4’s with the tune. I was very interested in the bronco because I thought it would be a reasonably price little convertible suv rocket ship. That gets what, 17-18mpg city and 25mpg highway?

Then we get the data.
Not only is it heavy as hell for the size, they also gave it the 10r60 trans which has a torque limit right around the peak torque of that 2.7tt, so they neutered 1st gear with torque management to save the trans.
In the end, the 2 door bronco, which is what, as long as an economy car, with a 330hp TTv6 and 10speed trans is no quicker to 60 than a crew cab f150 that is so large it doesn’t fit in most peoples garages? And it gets 17mpg on the highway? What the F?

They screwed it up so bad.

The icing on the cake is nobody has really been able to tune them to fix the torque management issue.

Last edited:

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Love the idea and why they wanted to do this.. Execution.. esp the way it looks is sub-par.

If I ever consider buying a raptor - that would be the Ranger raptor - bring that to NA already!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Just not interested in the Bronco in any configuration; I love my Willys, although the Bronco seats look so much more comfortable.
How do seats "look" more comfortable? Genuine question.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
C&D estimates that this thing weighs 5,800 lbs! WTH??

A 392 weights 700 lbs less. And a Rubicon JLU weighs an almost unbelievable 1,300 lbs less than this pig.

How is this thing so fat?

5,800 pounds. That is like fat fat.
Add 5 37" tires on wider rims.

Add a Dana 50 rear axle.

Add beefed up frame and suspension components to take big jumps without disintegrating.

Add proper high end adjustable reservoir shocks.

Add proper sized brakes, 6-bolt wheel hubs.

Add axles that are 8" wider front and rear for better stability and articulation.

Add more skid plate coverage.

Add side curtain airbags.

Add steel side step-boards.

All that on top of a vehicle that has tons more interior space than a Wrangler.

Puzzled as to why you are surprised that all of the above adds weight.

P.S. For reference, I put my JLUR 2.0 with the same tires as the Bronco Raptor, skid plates, winch etc, on a CAT scale, and I was at 5,280 lbs (with my recovery gear in it).

Deleted member 59498

A 392 weights 700 lbs less. And a Rubicon JLU weighs an almost unbelievable 1,300 lbs less than this pig.

Hey those are just thick legs!

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Add 5 37" tires on wider rims.

Add a Dana 50 rear axle.

Add beefed up frame and suspension components to take big jumps without disintegrating.

Add proper high end adjustable reservoir shocks.

Add proper sized brakes, 6-bolt wheel hubs.

Add axles that are 8" wider front and rear for better stability and articulation.

Add more skid plate coverage.

Add side curtain airbags.

Add steel side step-boards.

All that on top of a vehicle that has tons more interior space than a Wrangler.

Puzzled as to why you are surprised that all of the above adds weight.

P.S. For reference, I put my JLUR 2.0 with the same tires as the Bronco Raptor, skid plates, winch etc, on a CAT scale, and I was at 5,280 lbs (with my recovery gear in it).
A 4wd suburban curb weight is 5800lbs
An f150 raptor is 5800lbs

A bronco is a lot smaller than an f150 raptor and has all the same stuff.

Sponsored

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
How do seats "look" more comfortable? Genuine question.
Bucket seats, lateral support, more adjustments (six-way manual seats in base model Bronco), compared to cloth low-backed seats In my Willys.

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Here's the scoop. Stellantis, ford and tesla will launch upwards of a 1000 HP off road with 40s within the next 5 yrs. Personally, looking @ the crazy markup on the 392 now with still the old tech, no bueno

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
dont think for a second farley isnt throwing in the v8 soon. Given his track record, its a sure thing

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not a fan of the fenders at all! I wonder if these are pre-production?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

fat shaming will not be tolerated on this forum! Teen Vogue says it is a healthy weight!

i love this thing. except for the rocketbunny style fender flares. oh and the V6.....coulda hada V8!
maybe they'll come out with a Bronco Raptor R in a few years with a V8 or even the GT500 motor (yeah right). of if theyre sticking to V6s for these maybe the ford GT ecoboost.
Sponsored