Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I prefer having my wife in something capable. She's currently in a Nissan juke with awd and ground clearance in between a car and an suv. We both want her to get out of it before age sets in and turns out into a money pit.

Very soon after I got my Rubi, she started making noise about possibly getting herself a 2 door Punk'n Rubicon. She doesn't share my offroad interests, so wouldn't fully utilize the capability, but the Sahara is only available with 4 doors and the Sport doesn't get all of the features that she likes about mine.

That idea died after a couple hours of running errands, in a mix of highway and back roads, behind the wheel of my JLUR. Overall she liked everything about it, but it made her realize how much she prefers a car-like ride over a truck-like one. It's the nature of the solid axle, while on road, that turned her off.

I've been showing her the teasers that Ford has been putting out, and she is interested in seeing the full reveal and eventually some test drives of the 2 door model. I've told her my thoughts that it will be quite a capable vehicle, but will be designed to prioritize on road handling over its off road capabilities. Whereas Jeep shoots for the best on road ride and handling possible, without sacrificing so much as an ounce of its off road prowess.

I'm hoping it turns into a great vehicle, that my wife likes it's looks and how it drives, and I might get to play around with a 2022 model down the road.

Everything up to this point was copy pasted from my post afew days ago on the now locked thread.

My wife and I watched the videos last night, and she loves the 2 door. She wants to do the $100 reservation. Her words, not mine. And to paint a little picture, she's a nurse who was top of her class with highest GPA, 3rd degree black belt, and is one of the biggest tomboys I've known.

"It's so bubbly and cute! And everything's so simple to use because of buttons and knobs, instead of levers. They even put the grab handles down low, rather than up on the a-pillars."

She is zeroed in on the Badlands, because she prefers the smaller engine with the 10 speed and auto 4h. And add the sasquatch and a bunch of the tech packages. We tried to use the build it function, but after waiting, they only list the Sport model. I hope it fairs well. It's making her more interested in possibly joining me off road, because it would get her more hands on rather than just riding along. Fingers crossed!
When people talk about SFA being an issue I have to wonder what vehicle they are talking about. Mine steers and handles great on the road, and REALLY fun to drive on the road.

I tried to get my wife interested in the bronco, she thinks they are all ugly. I do too except for the high dollar one, that one looks bad ass.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Competition will make Jeep better. I would bet that Jeep has all sorts of plans in place now that the Bronco is released to stay competitive. The Wrangler is their profit leader, something, they can't afford to ignore.
even though I love my 3.6 it would really piss my off if they go v8. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. In fact, there has never really been another side to the fence for Wrangler owners, which would explain the initial fascination with the Bronco.

As for the 2 door, I think it's gorgeous. If it performs as well as it looks, I could definitely see myself as a future Bronco owner. End of the day a new girl in a hot dress has shown up to the ball, but the gal I'm currently with is pretty awesome too...
yes there has.....when the first bronco's were introduced and then nobody wanted them.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good plan, lol! Now don't get me wrong, I do like the Sky One touch, but I just don't think I'd ever take the back windows out.
I love Sky One Top, it's so easy to open whenever you want too. But I like the Hardtop off look too. It's so much more open. I like my Jeep but so does the little lady. lol

Lake 5.jpg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When people talk about SFA being an issue I have to wonder what vehicle they are talking about. Mine steers and handles great on the road, and REALLY fun to drive on the road.

I tried to get my wife interested in the bronco, she thinks they are all ugly. I do too except for the high dollar one, that one looks bad ass.
Same here. My Rubi was great from day one and now that I've beefed up the steering and suspension, it rides and handles way better. I'm building it towards both rock crawling and still being able to carry speed through rutted trails.

My wife hasn't shown much interest in off roading during the last 18 months of owning my first Jeep. She's due for an upgrade, so I've been showing her the recent teasers and finally the full reveal. She loves it so much that she did the reservation thing. She's also now showing an interest in off roading, albeit not the more difficult types of obstacles that I'll be gunning for, but it still gets her out there sharing an interest and a fun activity with me. And, so what if she has to take the bypasses more often. I guess it was just a matter of getting her in the position of being more involved. Being in her own driver seat, rather than just a rider in mine. I'll take it. :like:

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Meanwhile at GM:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread GM

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I reviewed the bronco and I am impressed. I just placed my order for a new jeep so that answers that question.
You made the right decision... the Jeep aftermarket is expansive. It will take the Ford Bronco a few years to catch up with R&D etc and that's after the two years it will take the Bronco to prove itself and prices to come down out of the stratosphere. It is impressive and I'm def a fan of bringing IFS to the serious (not high speed desert running) offroad community. They took the ranger raptor and made it better.. put a Jeep like body on it with removable top and doors. You would be stupid to not be impressed.

However.. it can't crawl like a Jeep or run over serious rocks like a jeep.. it just won't.

It will take all of Toyota's market share.. all of the Chevy Colorado's market share. Anything else that utilizes IFS.

Jeep will survive.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hilarious but GM actually has produced THE best IFS platform for offroad (ZR2).. Toyota is the one who lives on their (reliability) laurels. And nail boards to their heads lol.

The japanese are good at adding RANCHO or BILSTEIN shocks and calling it an 'off road package'

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Funny, even though I had issues with my bronco I loved that darn thing. It was a big boat on the trail but it had a nice interior, comfortable and LOTS of room. If they came out with another one I would be hard pressed not to get one....even with IFS...haha!
Ironically, the new Bronco is just as wide as the full size ones, and the 4 door is even longer than the full size ones. Granted, much of the width is the tires and flares, but it is still big.

I think the extra body width combined with the straight full fenders is going to visually dwarf the Wrangler with its tapered shorter nose section. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I do like our Jeeps' proportions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33277087/2021-ford-bronco-size-compared-to-old-broncos/

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I love Sky One Top, it's so easy to open whenever you want too. But I like the Hardtop off look too. It's so much more open. I like my Jeep but so does the little lady. lol

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread GM
I test drove this one when I was waiting on one of my oil overfills. I do like how easy it was to just open up on the move. I wouldn't throw one out of my driveway.

But I wouldn't put half doors on it either... :bandit:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread IMG_1507.JPG

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It LOOKS huge but I compared the dimensions.. they have to widen it for IFS to compare to solid axle flex.. they're playing with numbers.
Sponsored