Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Make ANY option available on ANY trim lvl.
The 392? available even if you buy a god damn base sport.
8" ucon and alpine available on ANY trim lvl
Lockers, 44s, narrow and wide.

Stop tying your options to trim lvls
Why on gods green earth cant I buy a 2021 willy with front and rear lockers and 44s on 35s from the factory.
Electronic sway bar disco make it an option on all trim lvls

If Ford can offer the sass package on the base model, jeep can make a damn 2dr sport with 44s, lockers and 35s.

IDK man I like jeep aesthetics more, but the Bronco is damn good looking too.

It is going to take more than just putting a v8 in the Rubicon and some tech ONLY to keep some people.

Jeep has been Pidgeon holing people into buying stuff they don't want or need, just to get things they want.

LET PEOPLE BUILD THE DAMN JEEP THEY WANT FROM THE FACTORY
Sponsored

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase
I hope jeep takes some cues from Bronco. The windshield mounted mirrors, rook rack mount, and spare mounting would be nice on Jeep

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
Make ANY option available on ANY trim lvl.
The 392? available even if you buy a god damn base sport.
8" ucon and alpine available on ANY trim lvl
Lockers, 44s, narrow and wide.

Stop tying your options to trim lvls
Why on gods green earth cant I buy a 2021 willy with front and rear lockers and 44s on 35s from the factory.
Electronic sway bar disco make it an option on all trim lvls

If Ford can offer the sass package on the base model, jeep can make a damn 2dr sport with 44s, lockers and 35s.

IDK man I like jeep aesthetics more, but the Bronco is damn good looking too.

It is going to take more than just putting a v8 in the Rubicon and some tech ONLY to keep some people.

Jeep has been Pidgeon holing people into buying stuff they don't want or need, just to get things they want.

LET PEOPLE BUILD THE DAMN JEEP THEY WANT FROM THE FACTORY
I haven't found my JT lacking in power in the slightest and it's much heavier than a JLU. More power would be nice but it's not what's going to sway me on its own. What will sway me to Ford is if Jeep keeps gatekeeping useful features behind their most expensive trim levels.

It was manageable on the JT because I got wide D44s with the max tow package and can do aftermarket lockers when I crack the diffs for gears. There's a lot less options for that when we shop for my wife who has been set on a JL... I'm not about to be forced into a top end trim just to get serviceable axles now that there's competition.

Even if it has to be a custom, special order thing, Jeep needs to start being more flexible or Ford is going to be eating a significant part of their lunch.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
I really don't understand why- of all things- the 35" tires on the Bronco are causing so much drooling. With $200 in parts, you can easily install 37" tires on the Rubicon, and- if you have a Sport and plunk down $500 more for a set of factory Rubicon flares- you could put 37s on the Sport as well.

As for Jeep neglecting the 2 door- could not agree more (but then again, the aftermarket is neglecting 2 doors too). When I was looking for my 2 door, I visited dealer after dealer that didn't even have one on the lot.
f40c2f011fa36d9bb7a66df496eccae3951bbcfb.jpg
I’m not sure why 35s are a big sticking point either. I still run stock height with just a wider tire so it’s not a deciding factor for me. I just see it as an easy way to counter a Bronco selling point without adding too much in cost.

I’m more excited about another 2 door option on the market. I know I’m in the minority with that but I I’ve always liked standard cab short wheelbase trucks and SUVs and love the fact that I will have another option to compare.

The 2 door neglect sucks. After I settled on the options I wanted, I had only two JLs to pick from in the state, and I still had to give up an option to even find those two.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m not sure why 35s are a big sticking point either. I still run stock height with just a wider tire so it’s not a deciding factor for me. I just see it as an easy way to counter a Bronco selling point without adding too much in cost.

I’m more excited about another 2 door option on the market. I know I’m in the minority with that but I I’ve always liked standard cab short wheelbase trucks and SUVs and love the fact that I will have another option to compare.
The bigger advantage, potentially (depending on where they price it) is the 4.7:1 diff gears. My 6-speed Rubi handles 37s pretty well but deeper gears would be nice. If the Sasquatch is priced reasonably, that's a BIG advantage over non-Rubicon models. If it costs $8,000, well forget it

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I really don't understand why- of all things- the 35" tires on the Bronco are causing so much drooling. With $200 in parts, you can easily install 37" tires on the Rubicon, and- if you have a Sport and plunk down $500 more for a set of factory Rubicon flares- you could put 37s on the Sport as well.

As for Jeep neglecting the 2 door- could not agree more (but then again, the aftermarket is neglecting 2 doors too). When I was looking for my 2 door, I visited dealer after dealer that didn't even have one on the lot.
f40c2f011fa36d9bb7a66df496eccae3951bbcfb.jpg
Maybe the fact that they won't void your warranty?

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
The bigger advantage, potentially (depending on where they price it) is the 4.7:1 diff gears. My 6-speed Rubi handles 37s pretty well but deeper gears would be nice. If the Sasquatch is priced reasonably, that's a BIG advantage over non-Rubicon models. If it costs $8,000, well forget it
Isn’t the Bronco supposed to fit 35s without any modifications? I saw the Sasquatch package and it is pretty sweet, but like you said if it is priced at a ridiculous amount it’s a non starter.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I personally am very impressed with the Bronco's doors because not only are they half doors (or there abouts anyways), but they have full window function. Never has Jeep had half doors with anything other than slide in upper frames with zip windows.

And I don't think there is a way Jeep can achieve doors like that with this generation. It will take a complete redesign before we get those, and that will also require some visual compromises with Jeep's classic look. So I am very curious how they will respond.

EDIT: To be fair, Jeep's 'half doors' have really been more like 1/3 rd doors, so they do feel more open.
My problem with the JK and JL is that, in my opinion, the doors are a departure from the classic look of the willies/wrangler. The frame that surrounds the window (upper half of the door) is an eyesore to me. They look okay with a hard top on. But when you take the top off/down, the doors really look out of place.
I agree, they do look bad when full or partially topless. And the exposed B pillar looks like they didn't plan things through. Ford's execution of the B pillar is a little better, but it still seems a little funny. I think the whole B pillar should have been black.
100% agree. The full-door designs for the JKs and JLs look fugly (at best) with the top off/down. At least there was a half-door option for the JK.

At this point, Jeep should produce the JL frameless half-doors (without the donut hole) and include hard uppers/sliders (since the current door shape will not accommodate fully retractable windows). Maybe even sell them at cost. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread donut-door2-2x

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Bronco gonna have a constant reminder of Jeep

“Ford confirmed this to Motor1.com, with spokesman Sam Schembari saying, “[The Wrangler name] will be removed from the Goodyear's side wall on the outboard side. Bronco Customers will not see it unless their tires are off the vehicle and the inboard side is visible.”
https://www.motor1.com/news/434165/ford-bronco-goodyear-wrangler-tires/

Sponsored

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW i3 REX, 2019 Wrangler Sport
I'm definitely going to check out the 2 door when they arrive. I tried to hold out to see the Bronco before buying my first Wrangler, but couldn't wait that long. I really enjoy driving the Jeep, but longevity and quality concerns hide in the back of my mind. I attribute that to my most problematic vehicle being a Commander, and that says something, considering I've had Cadillac, Jaguar, and BMW cars in the past.
As many have already said, competition in this segment is only going to be a good thing, regardless of which way you go.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
My 7.3's do just fine and my old bronco was a blast.... you can't compare yesteryear to technologies of today. Have always been a Blue Oval guy and an ole CJ guy while I do miss the old v8s they put in them should Jeep do it again I would stay with Jeep, even though it's a Mopar. Grrrr
Your kind of making my point. Some stuff it good others arent. my bronco burned a quart of oil every 600 miles and ford said that was normal. I found parts under the frame not installed, my door had a a MAJOR paint flaw. However my f150 has been stellar.

As far as your new vs old, ford 10 speed has been problematic, I recall (pardon the pun) other issues with them as well.

So any FCA issues could be offset with ford issues. My jeep, in fact ALL my jeeps but one have been absolutely stellar. I'm batting 50/50 with ford.

I have stock in ford and got a nice bump with the bronco release, so while I loath the IFS they put in I'm happy there are those that find less capability acceptable. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Back in the 90s my dad traded his Jeep for a Bronco. He always said that was a huge mistake. He always missed that Jeep and hated the Bronco. in 1995 he traded the Bronco for what would me my first car 12 years later. A Jeep Cherokee XJ.
Funny, even though I had issues with my bronco I loved that darn thing. It was a big boat on the trail but it had a nice interior, comfortable and LOTS of room. If they came out with another one I would be hard pressed not to get one....even with IFS...haha!
Sponsored