Advertisement

Bronco influence on 2021 Wrangler

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What's wrong with half-doors on Sky One Top?

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

Store.jpg
Just not a fan of the way it looks with the rear quarter panels removed. ;)

Advertisement

ODDs

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I personally am very impressed with the Bronco's doors because not only are they half doors (or there abouts anyways), but they have full window function. Never has Jeep had half doors with anything other than slide in upper frames with zip windows.

And I don't think there is a way Jeep can achieve doors like that with this generation. It will take a complete redesign before we get those, and that will also require some visual compromises with Jeep's classic look. So I am very curious how they will respond.

EDIT: To be fair, Jeep's 'half doors' have really been more like 1/3 rd doors, so they do feel more open.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler
I personally am very impressed with the Bronco's doors because not only are they half doors (or there abouts anyways), but they have full window function. Never has Jeep had half doors with anything other than slide in upper frames with zip windows.

And I don't think there is a way Jeep can achieve doors like that with this generation. It will take a complete redesign before we get those, and that will also require some visual compromises with Jeep's classic look. So I am very curious how they will respond.
My problem with the JK and JL is that, in my opinion, the doors are a departure from the classic look of the willies/wrangler. The frame that surrounds the window (upper half of the door) is an eyesore to me. They look okay with a hard top on. But when you take the top off/down, the doors really look out of place.

ODDs

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
My problem with the JK and JL is that, in my opinion, the doors are a departure from the classic look of the willies/wrangler. The frame that surrounds the window (upper half of the door) is an eyesore to me. They look okay with a hard top on. But when you take the top off/down, the doors really look out of place.
I agree, they do look bad when full or partially topless. And the exposed B pillar looks like they didn't plan things through. Ford's execution of the B pillar is a little better, but it still seems a little funny. I think the whole B pillar should have been black.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Now that the Bronco has officially debuted, I'm hoping the competition will be good for all us consumers. The Bronco is a very compelling offering for sure. I noticed the Bronco offers LED headlights and an 8" infotainment screen standard on all models, including the base model. I hope Jeep ups their game in this area as LED headlights are a minimum $895 upgrade (as best I can tell). It would be nice if LED lighting (front/rear/fog lights) and the 7" (preferably 8") screen becomes standard across all models. I'd like to see the camera mounting accessory the Bronco has for the dashboard offered on the Wrangler (minor request). Also, the Bronco is at least nine months away from being available to actually drive off the dealer lot so Jeep has a lot of time to sell more Wranglers.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 CJ-5 soon to be JLURD
Just like the original Bronco. I used to have a 71 Bronco and never wanted to take the top off because of the silly window frame! My CJ-5 on the other hand... But now I have a 2021 on order with the silly window frame and then Ford introduces a frameless window! Arghhh!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I am getting a 2021 Rubicon with hardtop and my wife is getting my Sahara. :like:
Sounds like a good plan, lol! Now don't get me wrong, I do like the Sky One touch, but I just don't think I'd ever take the back windows out.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Make ANY option available on ANY trim lvl.
The 392? available even if you buy a god damn base sport.
8" ucon and alpine available on ANY trim lvl
Lockers, 44s, narrow and wide.

Stop tying your options to trim lvls
Why on gods green earth cant I buy a 2021 willy with front and rear lockers and 44s on 35s from the factory.
Electronic sway bar disco make it an option on all trim lvls

If Ford can offer the sass package on the base model, jeep can make a damn 2dr sport with 44s, lockers and 35s.

IDK man I like jeep aesthetics more, but the Bronco is damn good looking too.

It is going to take more than just putting a v8 in the Rubicon and some tech ONLY to keep some people.

Jeep has been Pidgeon holing people into buying stuff they don't want or need, just to get things they want.

LET PEOPLE BUILD THE DAMN JEEP THEY WANT FROM THE FACTORY

LostWoods

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
Make ANY option available on ANY trim lvl.
The 392? available even if you buy a god damn base sport.
8" ucon and alpine available on ANY trim lvl
Lockers, 44s, narrow and wide.

Stop tying your options to trim lvls
Why on gods green earth cant I buy a 2021 willy with front and rear lockers and 44s on 35s from the factory.
Electronic sway bar disco make it an option on all trim lvls

If Ford can offer the sass package on the base model, jeep can make a damn 2dr sport with 44s, lockers and 35s.

IDK man I like jeep aesthetics more, but the Bronco is damn good looking too.

It is going to take more than just putting a v8 in the Rubicon and some tech ONLY to keep some people.

Jeep has been Pidgeon holing people into buying stuff they don't want or need, just to get things they want.

LET PEOPLE BUILD THE DAMN JEEP THEY WANT FROM THE FACTORY
I haven't found my JT lacking in power in the slightest and it's much heavier than a JLU. More power would be nice but it's not what's going to sway me on its own. What will sway me to Ford is if Jeep keeps gatekeeping useful features behind their most expensive trim levels.

It was manageable on the JT because I got wide D44s with the max tow package and can do aftermarket lockers when I crack the diffs for gears. There's a lot less options for that when we shop for my wife who has been set on a JL... I'm not about to be forced into a top end trim just to get serviceable axles now that there's competition.

Even if it has to be a custom, special order thing, Jeep needs to start being more flexible or Ford is going to be eating a significant part of their lunch.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
ChrispyJL,

Amen !! Well said !!

Boatbuilder88

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sting Gray

EDIT: To be fair, Jeep's 'half doors' have really been more like 1/3 rd doors, so they do feel more open.
I agree, they do look bad when full or partially topless. And the exposed B pillar looks like they didn't plan things through. Ford's execution of the B pillar is a little better, but it still seems a little funny. I think the whole B pillar should have been black.
100% agree. The full-door designs for the JKs and JLs look fugly (at best) with the top off/down. At least there was a half-door option for the JK.

At this point, Jeep should produce the JL frameless half-doors (without the donut hole) and include hard uppers/sliders (since the current door shape will not accommodate fully retractable windows). Maybe even sell them at cost. :)

donut-door2-2x.jpg

NewJLU2019

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good plan, lol! Now don't get me wrong, I do like the Sky One touch, but I just don't think I'd ever take the back windows out.
I love Sky One Top, it's so easy to open whenever you want too. But I like the Hardtop off look too. It's so much more open. I like my Jeep but so does the little lady. lol

Lake 5.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I love Sky One Top, it's so easy to open whenever you want too. But I like the Hardtop off look too. It's so much more open. I like my Jeep but so does the little lady. lol

Lake 5.jpg
I test drove this one when I was waiting on one of my oil overfills. I do like how easy it was to just open up on the move. I wouldn't throw one out of my driveway.

But I wouldn't put half doors on it either... :bandit:

IMG_1507.JPG

Advertisement

Advertisement