Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hi all,

I placed an order for my Wrangler back on April 19th. After what seemed like a really long time to build my Jeep, I was notified that the build was complete on June 5th and will be shortly on the rail to a drop off location close to my dealer.

Fast forward to last night, I get notified my Jeep arrived. I'm pumped and start to make plans to arrive at the dealer today, but the dealer than notifies me the Jeep arrived with a broken windshield, which will need to be replaced so I'll have to delay picking her up for another few days.

While I know accidents can happen via transit, I'm curious if anyone had a similar fate or if anyone had their jeep arrive with other damage (rock chips or even manufacturer faults) and what was done about it. I appreciate the transparency from my dealer and they said everything else looked great and had no damage, but deep down, I'm a little concerned I'll find something else when I come to pick up the Jeep. I'm mostly concerned about exterior damage because if a rock broke the windshield, it could have skipped across the hood and fenders or even on the sides. Not sure what kind of surface protection is applied from the factory to receiving dealer so looking for feedback here cause maybe the likelihood something like that happened is pretty small?

Thanks!
Sponsored

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I think for the inconvenience they should upgrade to Gorilla Glass.

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Tell them you want gorilla glass for your troubles. After all it is only a $95 dollar option.

Last edited:

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
You have no idea the number of vehicles that get damaged in transit. It happens, all the time. They’ll replace the windshield and it’ll be fine. Look over the vehicle before delivery but don’t sweat this.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for the feedback all. I just shot a note to the dealership to see if gorilla glass is an option. I'm inclined to believe they won't be able to offer it since they won't stock them yet (read that the factory may only start installing these on new Wranglers in July), but worse case is they just say no, no downside in asking so thanks for that recommendation.

I just hope I won't find anything else at the pick up in a few days.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Damage during transit is common. Many brands have huge repair facilities at port just to repair damaged vehicles in transit. BMW and Ferrari have factory repair facilities on the east coast.

Most buyers don't even realize their cars were repaired because they are not required to disclose damage unless it is more then a certain percentage of the MSRP. Usually about 3% of the MSRP.

At least your dealer told you about it. Unfortunately it will probably not be your first broken windshield. See if they will upgrade to Gorilla Glass? I don't know if they will do this because it involves recoding the VIN for warranty. Maybe see if they will give you a windshield insurance policy if your State allows them. A month or 2 of payments, a free extended warranty or service contract is also a common reimbursement for your trouble or inconvenience.

OP
OP

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for the feedback. Figured it's not rare that vehicles get damaged in transit. Dealer is not really interested in offering any extras, but I am inquiring about gorilla glass.
Sponsored