Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
This is NOT the same as bringing your clothes to a dry cleaner and them shrinking it. This is more in line with bringing a suit to the dry cleaners to get cleaned and them ripping the garment, then refusing to pay or repair. I would not let them get away with it. Brink it up or escalate it. It was good on the way in, but damaged in their possession.
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
This is NOT the same as bringing your clothes to a dry cleaner and them shrinking it. This is more in line with bringing a suit to the dry cleaners to get cleaned and them ripping the garment, then refusing to pay or repair. I would not let them get away with it. Brink it up or escalate it. It was good on the way in, but damaged in their possession.
In both those circumstances the question would be whether you could prove it was undamaged when they accepted it.

Many dealers do a "walk around" of your vehicle when it comes in for just this reason; many now even take photos, which protects both of you.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
You sound like a bully. I don’t think “I have complained to management 4 times and they always do what I say” is a point of pride.
That’s not what I said. It sounds like it’s what you wanted to believe, because you put your words in quotes, not mine. That’s unfortunate.

I believe that the customer should have at the very minimum their vehicle returned in the same condition they dropped it off. That is a basic expectation-otherwise this post wouldn’t be a topic.

In my personal experiences the service manager (or business owner) was able to get to the bottom of the issue and in every one of the cases, accepted responsibility. The service managers were able to speak directly with the service technicians, who when questioned, admitted fault, and ultimately apologized. I see this as the job of the service manager because as a customer, I don’t interact directly with the technicians or monitor their work. Perhaps your experiences are different.

I’ve owned a lot of vehicles in my life, likely over 100; from Honda to Ferrari, from Boats to Motorcycles, so it is important to me to have this basic expectation when others have my vehicles in their possession. I often do a lot of my own work, and I know if I break something while working on it, I fix it. I expect those that do it as an occupation to do the same, just as I expect a service “Manager” to manage issues that arise. Based on dealership labor rates, I think we pay for the expectation of having our vehicles treated well and returned undamaged. I know I do.

I believe in responsibility and accountability, maybe you don’t. If that makes me a bully in your eyes, then that is your issue, not mine.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I work for a Jeep dealer. The hard part about it is if they dont take ownership of the damage its hard to prove, however I would escalate the issue up to the service manager and if that doesnt solve it, the general manager of the store. You can definitely reach out to Jeep if they dont help you.

You also have the option of reviews like google, yelp etc. $200 worth of windshield isnt worth thousands of dollars of bad press. Imagine how many people on this forum live in that area too and all of them are Jeep owners.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Easy fix. Take one of theirs for a test drive and find a dump truck. Done.

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
There is no way in hell that I would let that rest. When they take possession of your vehicle for service, they are responsible for it no matter what they say. Worst case scenario, have them cover your deductible for your comprehensive insurance. Your comprehensive is what covers the glass in your vehicle. There is no way in hell I would pick up my rig with a broken windshield and allow them to walk away from liability. I would be surprised if your insurance company wouldn't choose to go after them for reimbursement. This is no different than a sign hanging in a store that says not responsible for accidents... they most certainly are. That is what they pay insurance for. Run your complaint up the flag pole until you get the answer that you deserve and then never go back to that shit hole dealer again.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
When you hand it off it becomes their responsibility...if they failed to inspect it, its on them not on the customer

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Took the Jeep in for some warranty work. Went to pick it up on Tuesday and the problem is still there. However, I do have a new cracked windshield.

Dealer says they aren't at fault for glass damage while the vehicle is in their possession.

Bit of a stretch for me. Hoping you'll be the sounding board for me and let me know if it is their fault. Or mine.

What say you?

@JeepCares what say you?

Here's a pretty picture of Colorado.

20200930_140723.jpg
I'm kind of scratching my head that its even a question.
I hope the dealer does the right thing, or FCA makes that happen one way or another.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't see how the damage happened.
If the vehicle was inside the garage at the time, it's obviously the dealer's fault.
If the outside parked in the lot....could be an act of god.

One thing you could do. Call your insurance company and see how they treat it.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You broke it ...
You bought it ...

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
My fear was that insurance wouldn't cover it because we didn't have it in our possession while the damage occurred. They didn't care. They just took care of it.

Our glass policy is $7 per month and a $50 dollar deductible. Like you said... we let the insurance people deal with it this go round.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I guess it's resolved then ?

BUT....You are being awfully nice. I would've lawyer'ed-up real fast on this because this is really clean cut. (and because I have a firm on retainer, more on this later) The liability resides on the dealer, not you.

I would have been hesitant to use my insurance because it may cause the premiums to go up. Even if I chose to do it, I would have negotiated the dealer to pay for the deductible plus free labor on the work you were getting performed.

As a peripheral comment/recommendation, I highly recommend getting a prepaid legal service, especially if your work offers it at low cost. This allows you to have a law firm on retainer for very low cost. My service will write up to 5 legal document annually to anyone (in this case the jeep dealer) for no additional cost. I've done that few times in the last 10 years that I've had this service. Most people back down real quick when they receive a certified mail with legal document from a real lawyer.

I've paid about 200$ annually for the past 10+ years on the pre-paid legal service. It has paid back at least few times more in benefits. The services are very wide and varying. One notable service this audience may be interested in is the where they represent you (even without your presence) in a traffic court. This means that if you get a ticket that requires a court appearance in Hawaii, you don't have to buy another plane ticket. It's also worth mentioning getting a lawyer in traffic court has benefits beyond what is apparent. (They are usually more prone to give a more lenient sentence, because "Tit for tat" ...)

Ok. I've went on long enough. I didn't mean to. But, I feel like if the OP had my legal service, it would have been real simple to have the dealer fix it. I can write more on exactly what services I've used them for if anyone wants to hear it, but I'll end it here.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
A Wrangler windshield gets damaged every 14.9 seconds on our little blue planet (and 80% of stats are made up) ;) This thread has me thinking, I'm going to ask my insurance company if my rate will be lower if I install a protective film product. You would think it would be but just avoiding the hassle of the inevitable would make it worth it.

ddorrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK
Why not just tell the dealer you want to file a claim with their insurance company and be done with it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.