Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Whats wrong in this world when people and businesses won't even own up to their own mistakes!
Oh it’s gotten so bad. Nobody takes responsibility anymore.
Some ahole blew right through a stop sign and T-boned my friend. My friend got out and held his hands up saying wtf. The guy actually started screaming at my friend.
Unbelievable. You can debate if a light was green or red but a stop sign?? Wow!
I grew up loving that I lived in the city. I hate it now.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Found out tonight they did a walk around with video. So we might be good.
That’s good news Andy, but that would be my last trip to that dealership. Just saying......and I’d be sure they knew it by using the universal language.....🖕.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The time to ask questions, and raise a stink, about dealership caused damage, would have been the second you see it, at the dealership. Not after a day or two, when fellow members coax you into doing it. Too many people are passive, and afraid to raise a stink, when they are wronged. That is provably what this dealership was hoping for. It's your Jeep, and your money, raise hell about it.

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Which dealer is this so I can leave some bad reviews!!!!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I actually went through this with another dealer/manufacturer. My wife’s ranger rover sport went into the dealership just fine and the windshield was cracked when I picked it up. Long story short, I consulted an attorney friend who advised me that buried in the fine print of the contract she signed, they are not liable for damage not directly caused by their technicians. He also advised me that employing a lawyer to fight it would cost a hell of a lot more than my $50 deductible on glass.

We drive out of our way for repairs now that we won’t take the vehicle back to that dealership.
In other words, they saved themselves a couple thousand dollars...but lost a customer.

Sponsored

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
One thing I will say about a lot of the replies I read over the last three pages...

Dont be a dick. Going in there and acting rude or obnoxious, being generally unfriendly, isn’t going to get you very far at all. Most likely, they will simply say ”no” and end the discussion, treating you like the petulant child you are acting like.

If you go in there and are polite and friendly, yet firm in your demands, and when faced with an answer that is unacceptable, ask the person giving the answer to get their supervisor. Speak to the supervisor and escalate to their supervisor, and so on. The entire time, if you keep your cool, and leave all emotions out of the discussion, lay out facts, and calmly escalate through the chain of supervision, you will most likely succeed in your requests.

I had a 2017 E63 that was curbed at the dealership. Zero proof it happened there, aside of the curb rash looking very fresh. Service advisor said it wasn’t their fault. Service tech said it wasn’t his fault. Lead Service tech said they weren’t responsible. Service Manager said it wasn’t their fault and not responsible. Some mid level manager said the dealership wasn’t responsible.
I walked over to the dealerships General Manager and asked to speak with him. I explained the situation. He came and looked at the wheels. At his request we went outside and looked at a curb at the entrance to the service area that has a long curve to the curb. It looked to have some fairly fresh damage.
He replaced both wheels that were curbed. These weren’t some crappy steelies either. They are forged AMG wheels that were around $1k each.
He also pulled the entire group that denied responsibility together and had a chat with them.
Had I been a hothead and rude or obnoxious, I would have had to deal with the curbing myself.

Just my opinion on the matter, but you’ll usually always get a lot further with a gallon of honey, than you will with a gallon of vinegar.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm being told that our glass isn't their responsibility while in their possession.

No answers on how it was broken.
Don't you "love" Andy how a dealer recites some policy with a straight face and somehow, "that's the law."

It's the stuff jokes are made of. An owner complains, a policy is cited to them by the dealer, and they return to their vehicle where their spouse, sitting in the passenger' seat screams, "didn't you fight it?!"

"Honey, they said it was their policy."

To which your spouse says, "but did they say it with a straight face?!"

"Yes honey, they did."

"Oh, well I guess you tried," says the spouse.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Why isn't in our right to say, "well, Mr. Dealer, it's my policy that parts of my vehicle that break while in your possession are your responsibility to repair [unless they were (a legal term) 'acts of God.'] "

Remember, say it with a straight face. ;)

I had a replacement windshield break while my JL was parked on my driveway. Stuff happens. But policy, "in my book," is defined as something you fight when it stops protecting an entity from reasonable indemnity (e.g. not responsible for stuff in vehicle when signs are posted) and starts becoming a shield that puts at a disadvantage the other party.

David @Rock Hopper had an excellent point about not being able to protect your property when its in their possession. If I try to enter the mechanics bay I am told that for insurance reasons, customers aren't allowed to be there.

If I'm not entitled to fight that policy because it is reasonable, then maybe I should be able to fight the broken glass policy because I can't watch the vehicle while its being serviced.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Not sure if anyone else already mentioned this, but fwiw if the windshield was cracked from a rock hitting it after being kicked up by another vehicle, that is technically a car crash. They are responsible for getting the insurance information of the vehicle that kicked it up or taking care of it themselves.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Dealer says they aren't at fault for glass damage while the vehicle is in their possession.

What say you?
😜 That's funny.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I spent 13 years in the automotive service industry starting out as an apprentice tech at a Chrysler dealership and ending up as Service Director for a large Mercedes dealer...Both the Chrysler and Mercedes dealers were top flight and always stepped up to do the right thing with any customer dispute. Both dealers were also privately owned, many of todays dealers are part of a large corporate chain and sadly feel any lost customer will just be replaced by another-likely fleeing from one of their other corporate dealers...Bottom line however is any good dealer would have taken care of this and not put you through the ringer. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Update.

They admitted it broke in their possession. Still refuse to fix it. We called our insurance company and explained what happened and they opened a claim for us to get it taken care of. Evidently, in the fine print on the service contract paperwork we signed states they aren't liable for glass. Which still doesn't add up to me.

Left with 2 Jeep shirts that equal the cost of our deductible for "the hassle".

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Update.

They admitted it broke in their possession. Still refuse to fix it. We called our insurance company and explained what happened and they opened a claim for us to get it taken care of. Evidently, in the fine print on the service contract paperwork we signed states they aren't liable for glass. Which still doesn't add up to me.

Sorry this has happened to you Andy and you are right, it doesn’t add up or pass the reasonable expectation test. Remember; Just because they wrote it in their small print doesn’t mean it would hold up in court, especially small claims court. There is a variety of recourse available to you but since you have insurance with a small deductible perhaps that is the easiest path.

It’s a shame that it happened in the first place.

Final question from me; Did they ever reveal how it actually happened?

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It’s in the contract for every service department I know of, from your dealer to Walmart to Jiffy Lube, Firestone and Goodyear.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Update.

You can put anything in a contract, does not mean it can hold up legally.

usually the best way to handle it is to tell your insurance, they have legal and will figure out if its worth fighting or paying. it boils down to cash in end

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR