Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The dealership lawyer would likely demand proof your windshield was undamaged when you delivered it to the dealership.

That's why you should always take photos or video whenever you drop a vehicle off for service.

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
Man that sucks, sounds like a terrible dealership.
IMO, don’t waste your time with @JeepCares
It’s some of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I guess then if they crash into a wall in the shop or hit it with another vehicle that’s not their fault either?
Some dealers get slick and will try to play you.
My friend was in a Ford service dept. a few years ago. He told me some guy came in and they said “sorry mister so and so but your oil plug is stripped. It’s not under warranty you’ll have to pay” The guy said bulls**t I’ve gotten every oil change right here. If it’s stripped you f**kin guys did it.
The service manager simply said “ok we’ll take care of it”.

Sponsored

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
Ask to speak to the service manager, and tell them you want to look at the security cameras with them when you brought it in. If you want to be nice, tell them you’ll turn it into insurance , and see if they will cover your deductible.

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I guess then if they crash into a wall in the shop or hit it with another vehicle that’s not their fault either?
Some dealers get slick and will try to play you.
My friend was in a Ford service dept. a few years ago. He told me some guy came in and they said “sorry mister so and so but your oil plug is stripped. It’s not under warranty you’ll have to pay” The guy said bulls**t I’ve gotten every oil change right here. If it’s stripped you f**kin guys did it.
The service manager simply said “ok we’ll take care of it”.
Wow, it’s pretty bad when even Walmart is better than the dealer. I went to Walmart to get an oil change once and they told me the oil drain plug was cross threaded and they wouldn’t remove it for fear that they couldn’t get it to seal up again. They checked their system and saw that they had done the last service. They told me to take it to an actual mechanic and they would pay for the oil change and any repair that needed to be done due to the cross threaded plug. They could have just pulled the plug and hoped for the best and I would never have known

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Wow, it’s pretty bad when even Walmart is better than the dealer. I went to Walmart to get an oil change once and they told me the oil drain plug was cross threaded and they wouldn’t remove it for fear that they couldn’t get it to seal up again. They checked their system and saw that they had done the last service. They told me to take it to an actual mechanic and they would pay for the oil change and any repair that needed to be done due to the cross threaded plug. They could have just pulled the plug and hoped for the best and I would never have known
Call your insurance, you likely have a zero deductible on glass replacement which is comprehensive coverage and it won't effect your insurance rate. If you have a low deductible, the hassle is not worth the time with the dealer. Tell the insurance how and where it happened and how the dealer denied paying for it hand have the insurance claim adjuster fight it out with the dealer so you don't need to deal with it. If the dealer does pay, you will even get your deductible refunded. I bet your insurance agent taking dealer statements of a claim against them will have more clout and knowledge to address the legal liability. That way it's not hanging over you and taking your time. It's another reason we carry insurance! In the future, boycott that dealer, spread the word to others you know snd influence about what happened. There are plenty others that appreciate their customers.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
odds are good that if you read the fine print on the paperwork you got when you dropped the J**p off it says the Dealer is not responsible for damage to the vehicle while it is in their possesion.

odds are also good that if you go all a**hole on them, that's how they're going to treat you.

you can try playing nicer than they are (not hard to do), and if that doesn't work, it's time to get legal or get gone from there.
in all cases, the burden of proof is likely to be on you to prove that the vehicle was undamaged when it was turned over to the dealer.
if they won't fess up to it, consider it an expensive lesson to not do business there.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Took the Jeep in for some warranty work. Went to pick it up on Tuesday and the problem is still there. However, I do have a new cracked windshield.

Dealer says they aren't at fault for glass damage while the vehicle is in their possession.

Bit of a stretch for me. Hoping you'll be the sounding board for me and let me know if it is their fault. Or mine.

What say you?

@JeepCares what say you?

Here's a pretty picture of Colorado.

20200930_140723.jpg
Can't wait until I can take my new Jeep out to Silverton, CO, and Moab, UT. Probably won't be until August.

I have also found in the past that if you can't prove something happened while in dealerships possession, you are mostly out of luck. This happened back in the 90's. They locked my keys in the vehicle and instead of calling me to bring down the extra key, they used one of those bars that locksmiths and tow trucks have to try and pop the lock. They ended up damaging something inside the door where window wouldn't work. They said they weren't responsible, even though it was their employee who locked the keys in and did a poor job of popping the lock. Was going to take them to small claims court, but my neighbor took off door panel and readjusted something and it worked again. Ended up only costing me a can of beer.

Sponsored

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Can't wait until I can take my new Jeep out to Silverton, CO, and Moab, UT. Probably won't be until August.

I have also found in the past that if you can't prove something happened while in dealerships possession, you are mostly out of luck. This happened back in the 90's. They locked my keys in the vehicle and instead of calling me to bring down the extra key, they used one of those bars that locksmiths and tow trucks have to try and pop the lock. They ended up damaging something inside the door where window wouldn't work. They said they weren't responsible, even though it was their employee who locked the keys in and did a poor job of popping the lock. Was going to take them to small claims court, but my neighbor took off door panel and readjusted something and it worked again. Ended up only costing me a can of beer.
Whats wrong in this world when people and businesses won't even own up to their own mistakes!

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Found out tonight they did a walk around with video. So we might be good.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So now that they found video they are willing to accept responsibility...?

I mean, good for you, but what kind of logic is that?

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
If I owned or managed that service facility, I would simply have a reason to why it happened-most likely without employee recourse, apologize, and put a new windshield in and eat it.

This shit alone is why I won't take their free oil change.

The mechanics I use when I need them would not pull this.

Sorry you will have to be responsible for a company / entity that just can't adult.

Now if your playing Karen and went in there with a chipped glass bc you been blazing around the rock trucks and it ran, then you as a jeep owner need to clue in. Please note, I have read your posts and do not believe the above to be fact.....in any way, but putting it out there.

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
I actually went through this with another dealer/manufacturer. My wife’s ranger rover sport went into the dealership just fine and the windshield was cracked when I picked it up. Long story short, I consulted an attorney friend who advised me that buried in the fine print of the contract she signed, they are not liable for damage not directly caused by their technicians. He also advised me that employing a lawyer to fight it would cost a hell of a lot more than my $50 deductible on glass.

We drive out of our way for repairs now that we won’t take the vehicle back to that dealership.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.