Sponsored

Broken windshield while in dealer possession. Who replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My fear was that insurance wouldn't cover it because we didn't have it in our possession while the damage occurred.
Just want to point out that it doesn't matter who's in possession when glass is damaged, a collision occurs, etc. Your insurance covers the vehicle. You can let a friend drive your vehicle and, if they get into an accident, your insurance will cover it. Granted they may go after your friend's insurance company (if they have insurance) after, but your claim will still be honored even though you were not driving at the time.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Why not just tell the dealer you want to file a claim with their insurance company and be done with it.
Because the OP doesn't necessarily have to. OP stated he has insurance and glass coverage. Filing a claim with his own insurance carrier should have no affect on his rates, etc.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
The older I get the more stress I try to remove from my life. Thankfully, $50 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me right now so paying the $50 bucks was a way to reduce the stress. Plus the t-shirt thing. The equation has been balanced in my mind and we're moving on.

Now... who wants to guess whether safelite can get the adaptive cruise recalibrated? ;)

ddorrer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK
The older I get the more stress I try to remove from my life. Thankfully, $50 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me right now so paying the $50 bucks was a way to reduce the stress. Plus the t-shirt thing. The equation has been balanced in my mind and we're moving on.

Now... who wants to guess whether safelite can get the adaptive cruise recalibrated? ;)
SafeLite just repaired my windshield for FREE. Thanks GEICO. Less than 24 hours after submitting the glass claim. They came to my house.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
SafeLite just repaired my windshield for FREE. Thanks GEICO. Less than 24 hours after submitting the glass claim. They came to my house.
We had a wild snow session over last weekend so we scheduled them to be here next Monday.

Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque

I understand wanting to be less stressed but letting the dealership get away with this just emboldens them to screw the next person.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I understand wanting to be less stressed but letting the dealership get away with this just emboldens them to screw the next person.
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly before I choose how to respond.

I'm the problem here?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Word of warning to those folks using insurance to replace their glass. You may get non-renewed when it's time for your insurance renewal if you do this excessively.

Last edited:

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly before I choose how to respond.

I'm the problem here?
in a sense, yes. i dont like saying you are the problem but you are encouraging the problem to continue. stand up for whats right. i understand its easier to pay $50 and $7 a month to be done with this but when businesses are not held accountable, others will suffer. to make sure i have this situation understood, your jeep was at a dealership for an extended amount of time to have warranty work that didnt end in them fixing your jeep, you found that your jeep had been damaged in their care, you accepted them saying they are not liable for damage that occurs while in their possession, and you have your insurance company fix the windshield? i would imagine its their responsibility to have their insurance cover it or they just pay out of pocket. at least have them pay your deductible.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i just reread through the thread and saw the service contract bs. why would they put that in there? why not completely release all liability and say any damage occurs is not our problem? thats shady and would not be using that dealership anymore. ill retract my opinion. you signed a contract and theres not much you can do. glad it was a cheap fix for you.

Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Larry Miller CJD?
I google Thornton, CO and that seems to be the closest Jeep dealer.
They seem to have a high csi rating though.

I‘m going to travel with my family someday to Colorado and would like to know what Dealer to avoid if I need service out there.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
in a sense, yes. i dont like saying you are the problem but you are encouraging the problem to continue. stand up for whats right. i understand its easier to pay $50 and $7 a month to be done with this but when businesses are not held accountable, others will suffer. to make sure i have this situation understood, your jeep was at a dealership for an extended amount of time to have warranty work that didnt end in them fixing your jeep, you found that your jeep had been damaged in their care, you accepted them saying they are not liable for damage that occurs while in their possession, and you have your insurance company fix the windshield? i would imagine its their responsibility to have their insurance cover it or they just pay out of pocket. at least have them pay your deductible.
As others have pointed out in this thread... my insurance group will seek restitution should they be legally allowed to do so. Perhaps you missed the section where we discussed our signing of a "contract" that states they aren't at fault for glass claims? We accepted that before we gave them our vehicle. So I see the legal part of this from both sides.

My wife accepted two shirts as restitution for our deductible. Whether you see that as compensation or not doesn't really matter. She did.

I don't like anything about this whole situation. I certainly don't like being held accountable to the morals of the dealership. If I felt like I could change one thing about their position to better help others... I'd do so.

OP
OP
DOOKEY

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
i just reread through the thread and saw the service contract bs. why would they put that in there? why not completely release all liability and say any damage occurs is not our problem? thats shady and would not be using that dealership anymore. ill retract my opinion. you signed a contract and theres not much you can do. glad it was a cheap fix for you.
Why would they put it in there? They have lawyers who are smarter than the customer service reps. I was told they have cracked windshields in their on site car wash. Not covered.

The weird thing about all of this is I don't really blame the dealership. If Jeep would install a piece of glass that didn't break so easily I don't think we'd be having this conversation.

I could have fixed the axle issue. I could have bought a Toyota.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Word of warning to those folks using insurance to replace their glass. You may get non-renewed when it's time for your insurance renewal if you do this excessively.
100% not true. If you are paying for glass coverage or your policy includes glass coverage, the insurance company cannot refuse to renew you for filing multiple glass claims.

I have a close family friend who works in the insurance field and have verified this multiple times.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
100% not true. If you are paying for glass coverage or your policy includes glass coverage, the insurance company cannot refuse to renew you for filing multiple glass claims.

I have a close family friend who works in the insurance field and have verified this multiple times.
They absolutely can. I confirmed it. Not with one, but two separate providers and directly with an underwriter (in writing). It's possible that laws may vary state to state (maybe your family friend is licensed in a different state), but this is the case in Arizona. It's literally the only reason I had to pull my CLUE report a few weeks ago from LexisNexis. Needless to say, I won't be filing any more glass claims.

Also to add, I don't think any insurance provider has a legal obligation to provide you with service after the policy has ended, assuming they give you proper notice. I want to be clear that when I say they can refuse to renew -- I mean after the policy term has ended, not in the middle. It also can impact your ability to get new insurance as providers see glass claims as normal comprehensive claims (it doesn't even say glass on the CLUE report), and too many of them regardless of the type may put you into a category of risk that they will not accept (which they also consider for renewals).

Just food for thought and YMMV. This was my personal experience. The only thing I was told was that glass claims won't raise my rates. But they can drop you for filing too many (and in Progressive's case, they won't sell you insurance to begin with).
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.