Broken Weld on DPF Bracket

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
Today a rattle appeared at idle. After it driving me crazy all day and a little investigation I found a bracket that is welded to the DPF and connects to the transmission. This bracket has completely broken away from it's weld on the DPF therfore the rattling. I'm going in for service this saturday for oil change and tire rotation. I'll mention it to the dealer but my assumption is they aren't going to weld it back in place. I'll also assume that they will probably want to replace the whole DPF and won't have it in stock. This doesn't appear to be a major issue just more of an annoyance. Just figured I'd put it out here in case anyone else has experienced this rattle.
Sponsored

Sngh2031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JLURD Porsche Cayman S
Today a rattle appeared at idle. After it driving me crazy all day and a little investigation I found a bracket that is welded to the DPF and connects to the transmission. This bracket has completely broken away from it's weld on the DPF therfore the rattling. I'm going in for service this saturday for oil change and tire rotation. I'll mention it to the dealer but my assumption is they aren't going to weld it back in place. I'll also assume that they will probably want to replace the whole DPF and won't have it in stock. This doesn't appear to be a major issue just more of an annoyance. Just figured I'd put it out here in case anyone else has experienced this rattle.
I had the same issue after some light off-roading, took it to the dealer and they did a tap weld. Hopefully this is not a common issue!

OP
OP
Lookthermo

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Took it in to the dealership for an oil change and mentioned the rattle. Dealer had the bracket welded back and the now I have no more rattle. That was easier than I expected!

Sponsored

bigfootisrealyhairy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Rubicon Ecodiesel
The noise was driving me crazy....

There is another post in regards to the same issue.

I just wanted to update others running into this issue. After my second trip into the shop for service, they found the exact same broken weld. I believe this is an going to be an issue with the Ecodiesels. My dealer took the bracket off and told me they are waiting for FMC to tell them what needs to be done. I have a feeling there may be a service notice and/or recall on this moving forward. Seems like too many of us our running into the same issues.

Good luck and happy trails......... :)

Coopeda1

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My dealer said it was caused by the lift. Said there should have been an extension. I asked him to show me the extension on the mopar kit and he couldnā€™t. Nothing in this area looks to be impacted by any part of the lift.

OP
OP
Lookthermo

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer said it was caused by the lift. Said there should have been an extension. I asked him to show me the extension on the mopar kit and he couldnā€™t. Nothing in this area looks to be impacted by any part of the lift.
yeah, your dealer is full of crap. Just making up excuses not to do their damn job!!!

OP
OP
Lookthermo

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE 2: The weld broke again after the dealer had welded it. I brought it back and spoke with the service manger. He decided not to mess with it any longer. He agreed to replace the DPF under warranty. The new DPF has been installed and so far no issues. I can only assume Jeep has made a change to the part because the part number ended with a letter higher than the original one.

Sponsored

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
DPF bracket weld broke on my ā€˜21 JLURD; same loud rattle others noted. And thanks to forum members here, I was able to quickly confirm weld break and repair it. I didnā€™t bother with local dealers (despite warranty coverage); went straight to an auto shop/welder I trust. 5-minutes to fix. Bracket welded correctly, rattle gone.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Hmm, Iā€™ve noticed a rattle sometimes when I go over speed bumps. Iā€™ve spent a couple weeks checking various suspension parts to see if any of the new lift loosened up but everything is tight. I wonder if this is what my issue is.

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
A broken weld on DPF bracket and its related ā€˜rattleā€™ sounds like a utensil dropped into a blender; meaning itā€™s NOT a subtle noise induced by bumps, pot holes, etc. Further, rattle is heard mainly @ idle on a fully-warmed motor. Under acceleration, no noise. Odd, I know. My experience, anyways.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Hmm, Iā€™ve noticed a rattle sometimes when I go over speed bumps. Iā€™ve spent a couple weeks checking various suspension parts to see if any of the new lift loosened up but everything is tight. I wonder if this is what my issue is.
Well, you've had over 24 hrs. What's the verdict?

Sponsored