Sponsored

Broken underside (steering damper I think) from off-roading, will using a non-dealership mechanic void the warranty

christianfb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK Rubicon, 2021 JL Rubicon (Soon!)
I took my 8 month year old JL Rubicon on a mud trail and got stuck in a clay pit almost bumper deep on the front end. After the ordeal I ended up looking under my car because I was having steering issues turning left and the wheel is a bit misaligned. I took a look and realized I broke something on the underside, I think it’s the steering damper (see pics)

Now I’m bringing it to the mechanic but wondering if using a non dealership mechanic will void the dealership warranty? Or is it too late and I’ve already voided it by off roading and getting it caked in mud. For reference I’m in Ontario if it makes a difference. If anyone has any experience with this sort of stuff or recognizes the broken part and knows about the warranty/pricing related to it that would be amazing.

Definitely gonna have to be more smart next reading next time, an expensive lesson for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken underside (steering damper I think) from off-roading, will using a non-dealership mechanic void the warranty 732B5D76-3DF2-4CA8-BA2C-08714C9DC11C

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken underside (steering damper I think) from off-roading, will using a non-dealership mechanic void the warranty 95149F2A-7793-4F2E-A113-5B52ED1706C8
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes that is the steering damper/stabilizer. How is it broken? I can’t tell from the images.
You can even replace it yourself, using the same factory part. It’s only a couple of bolts. The dealership will never know.

OP
OP

christianfb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes that is the steering damper/stabilizer. How is it broken? I can’t tell from the images.
You can even replace it yourself, using the same factory part. It’s only a couple of bolts. The dealership will never know.
it’s snapped forward, most likely from the tow or some branches. Good to know, I’ll check out some mopar parts.

if you want to see more angles:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
If a shop is certified by Jeep and authorized to perform warranty work and or repair work, the warranty remains intact as long as the certified mechanic has done all the work.

Re in this particular instance, it boils down to the dealer. Most would deny the warranty claim under operator error or misuse that led to the part failure.

Fortunately the steering stabilizer is only a few bolts and is relatively easy to replace.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
it’s snapped forward, most likely from the tow or some branches. Good to know, I’ll check out some mopar parts.

if you want to see more angles:
Oh yes it looks like the plastic housing has totally popped off of the pressurized portion.
Get the part number from your current one and order it from allmoparparts and replace it. It shouldn’t be more than $200.

OP
OP

christianfb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's the steering damper, easy to replace yourself. That image is a reminder of why I avoid mud as much as possible.
Definitely avoiding mud whenever possible from now on 😅

if you guys are curious:
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken underside (steering damper I think) from off-roading, will using a non-dealership mechanic void the warranty 2DCB2CE1-630E-4042-8B74-89D7587D6969

plastic near my bumper was some random stuff I found on trail to get traction btw. Cautionary tale not to be an idiot around mud 😂

OP
OP

christianfb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yes it looks like the plastic housing has totally popped off of the pressurized portion.
Get the part number from your current one and order it from allmoparparts and replace it. It shouldn’t be more than $200.
Thank you, nice to have some context on this. I’ll try and get it sorted, relieving to know it’s not that bad

OP
OP

christianfb

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If a shop is certified by Jeep and authorized to perform warranty work and or repair work, the warranty remains intact as long as the certified mechanic has done all the work.

Re in this particular instance, it boils down to the dealer. Most would deny the warranty claim under operator error or misuse that led to the part failure.

Fortunately the steering stabilizer is only a few bolts and is relatively easy to replace.
Ya that makes sense, not surprised that the dealer warranty most likely won’t cover it. But good to know that it’s the best of a bad situation. Glad to hear it’s not too bad, thanks!

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Looks like a perfect time to upgrade your steering stabilizer to a Fox or Falcon! But you need to take that thing to a car wash and pressure spray that mud off.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Extremely easy to put a new one in. I have the OEM SS sitting in my garage I'd let you have if you weren't in another country. As others have said, if I were you I'd just go ahead and upgrade to an adjustable SS like Teraflex or Fox.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I took my 8 month year old JL Rubicon on a mud trail and got stuck in a clay pit almost bumper deep on the front end. After the ordeal I ended up looking under my car because I was having steering issues turning left and the wheel is a bit misaligned. I took a look and realized I broke something on the underside, I think it’s the steering damper (see pics)

Now I’m bringing it to the mechanic but wondering if using a non dealership mechanic will void the dealership warranty? Or is it too late and I’ve already voided it by off roading and getting it caked in mud. For reference I’m in Ontario if it makes a difference. If anyone has any experience with this sort of stuff or recognizes the broken part and knows about the warranty/pricing related to it that would be amazing.

Definitely gonna have to be more smart next reading next time, an expensive lesson for sure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken underside (steering damper I think) from off-roading, will using a non-dealership mechanic void the warranty 2DCB2CE1-630E-4042-8B74-89D7587D6969

Whoa up there ... That's not as simple as popping out two bolts and replacing the steering damper.
You see those stickers on there ... one points forward and the other to the cup end (I think that's what it says ... I'm not looking at mine) ... they are there so you orient the steering damper in the right direction.
Mopar steering dampers are built with a gas port on the disc inside that must be oriented at the top of the damper and it has to be bled properly prior to the install, else it will simply shuttle oil back and forth and not provide any dampening effect at all. You can't just take one out of the box, snip the retaining bands, and put it in.
I know, I know, there are lots of backyard mechanics out there saying "This guy doesn't know what he's talking about." but there is an actual service bulletin for the mechanics detailing the bleeding and installation processes. If your dealer mechanics don't know about it, your parts guy does, or at least should.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock steering stabilizer for sale. It’s held on by 2 bolts so easy to swap out.
$30cdn plus whatever the shipping is from Calgary If that helps you.
If you decide to buy brand new you may as well go aftermarket than pay dealer price.
Sponsored