Sponsored

Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located?

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
We were getting a no read on front drivers side and assumed it was the transmitter in the tire. We had the tires rotated and still getting a no read on the front drivers side. I'm wondering where the receiver is so I can see if it's got some sort of damage.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Chaostactics

When you have a wheel that intermittently, is not being read, consider moving that wheel to another location on your JL.

Ok.. I see you mention you did do a tire rotation..

IF, that exact same wheel is still going awol at that new location, then you know it is the TMPS sensor in the wheel. .... But........... if the wheel you put in the spot where that problematic wheel was going awol also starts going awol, then you know it is a problem with a chassis sensor and not the TPMS in the affected wheel.

-------------------

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

OP
OP

Chaostactics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Chaostactics

When you have a wheel that intermittently, is not being read, consider moving that wheel to another location on your JL.

Ok.. I see you mention you did do a tire rotation..

IF, that exact same wheel is still going awol at that new location, then you know it is the TMPS sensor in the wheel. .... But........... if the wheel you put in the spot where that problematic wheel was going awol also starts going awol, then you know it is a problem with a chassis sensor and not the TPMS in the affected wheel.

-------------------

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.
Yea that's the issue I'm having. For some reason I can't find a diagram where the chassis sensor is. I was d**king around with sway bar end links and was wondering if I damaged a chassis sensor/receiver but I don't know what it looks like/where to look.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yea that's the issue I'm having. For some reason I can't find a diagram where the chassis sensor is. I was d**king around with sway bar end links and was wondering if I damaged a chassis sensor/receiver but I don't know what it looks like/where to look.
@Chaostactics

I have never sought the 3 chassis sensor modules out on the JL..

Anyway, the sensor modules looks like/similar, to the chassis sensor module in the pic below that was from a Cherokee.

You will find them (3) fastened to the frame rails in different locations.
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located? s-l1600

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Anyone ever find the front module locations?

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I have been chasing a similar issue, where originally the passenger rear tire would not read, then it moved without changing tire positions to the front passenger tire. I rotated the tires, and the not reading one stayed at the front, then it moved to the rear. I am not sure how to fix this. Can it get confused by the spare ever?

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm having the same issue with a blank tire pressure reading from the LF tire. I rotated tires to see if it might be a TPMS sensor in the tire but the LF is still blank.

Has anyone been able to locate the TPMS receiver on the frame for the LF, and if I replace it would it need to be programmed or is it plug and play?

2018 JL Rubicon

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm having the same issue with a blank tire pressure reading from the LF tire. I rotated tires to see if it might be a TPMS sensor in the tire but the LF is still blank.

Has anyone been able to locate the TPMS receiver on the frame for the LF, and if I replace it would it need to be programmed or is it plug and play?

2018 JL Rubicon
Replace it with your spare tire and see if fault still comes up?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Wrangler JL TPMS receiver is tucked into the top of the rear passenger wheel well.

edited to reflect what I learned below:

...the TPMS receiver is located ... on top of the rear crossmember and can be seen when looking from just behind the rear end looking to the top of the crossmember.
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located? JL-TPMS-Receiver_01a

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in my case I can move the tires anywhere, and the passenger front or rear shows up missing red.
Same situation with mine - regardless of what tire/wheel I put on the LF, the pressure reading is blank and the low pressure warning icon is on.

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to follow up on where the TPMS receiver is located on my 2018 JL - it's on top of the rear crossmember and can be seen when looking from just behind the rear end looking to the top of the crossmember.

The plug comes in from the right side and you can easily unplug and see that all of your pressure readings go blank until plugged back in.

In my case it looks like something in the receiver is bad, not giving a reading for the LF, so I'll need to get a replacement.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thank you for posting this. In the past I had been looking at the wrong black box. I just crawled under, looked at the black box I had supposed was the receiver module, and then looked at the location you described and saw that the module that is placed where you describe is a match for the part listed at the OEM parts vendors.

It has seemed painfully difficult to move beyond the too often times repeated insistence that the JL uses multiple receivers, which has made it unnecessarily difficult to learn substantive info about the Tire Pressure Monitor System.

Thank you for contributing to the knowledge base.

Thank you.

Last edited: