Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
Did you have to remove anything to access it and drill?
Good point. I closed the top fully then opened it, stopping quickly once the first fold of the canvas top gave maximum access from below and above. Most of the broken rivet removal was squeezing and drilled slowly from below at an awkward angle taking a little material at a time. Once I broke away the expanded portion of the rivet, I tapped it up carefully with a nail set, being careful not to puncture the canvas.

The first time it happened I recall trying to push down on the rivet but access from above/outside the top was too tight
Sponsored

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First things first...I love the convenience of this top. Absolutely no regrets getting it. That stated, I noticed a bulge in the top this morning before getting in. Looks like a pop rivet holding the full length “band” used to close it tight failed on driver’s side. Anyone else seen this?
243B23F7-B335-42EE-B379-FEEB95D27F30.jpeg
52FE688B-A572-4669-9587-82AED82A8207.jpeg
1537F6E9-D285-40D9-8C35-1B7AE2BA3B6A.jpeg
Just had my driver side break today….10 days until dealer can get me in to even look at it. 🙄

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had my driver side break today….10 days until dealer can get me in to even look at it. 🙄
Sorry to hear that. I read another thread in the forum, posted after this one, where a dealer replaced entire top for what seemed to be this problem.

My screw/nut solution seems to be holding up well. The real challenge will come if/when the rear mounted spring mechanism fails. 🤔

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sorry to hear that. I read another thread in the forum, posted after this one, where a dealer replaced entire top for what seemed to be this problem.

My screw/nut solution seems to be holding up well. The real challenge will come if/when the rear mounted spring mechanism fails. 🤔
The

I stopped by the dealer and with their print out of parts they don’t know what part of roof to order to get this small piece….so they are ordering entire top. 😳

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
This is actually a good thing…

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is actually a good thing…
I guess that depends on how much faith one has in their dealer replacing a factory installed, weather-tight top which is not designed to be removed. A new top after three years is tempting but not enough for me. Sorry.

housdoc

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have a 2019 Wrangler with the One touch Sky roof. Opened yesterday no problems tried to close and it would not. Found a small half inch piece of the bottom track had completely broken off and was laying in the Jeep. There is road work in my area and I did hit a couple of potholes but think it is crazy the metal track would break. Has anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have not seen this with my top. Can you send pics of broken part and where you think it came from?

housdoc

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Sure this is the piece that was laying in the floor and the best picture I can get of the lower track were is broke out of.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure this is the piece that was laying in the floor and the best picture I can get of the lower track were is broke out of.
That isn't good. Looks like the roof may have bound up and snapped that section off. That is, unless something hit it while open. Question now is whether this is warranty or you are repairing? Sorry

Sponsored

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
First things first...I love the convenience of this top. Absolutely no regrets getting it. That stated, I noticed a bulge in the top this morning before getting in. Looks like a pop rivet holding the full length “band” used to close it tight failed on driver’s side. Anyone else seen this?
243B23F7-B335-42EE-B379-FEEB95D27F30.jpeg
52FE688B-A572-4669-9587-82AED82A8207.jpeg
1537F6E9-D285-40D9-8C35-1B7AE2BA3B6A.jpeg
I test drove this:
Pros: Cool and easy
Cons: Loud a heck, hot, and one more gismo to cost money to fix/replace

That really stinks that it already broke.

housdoc

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Pretty sure not under warranty so we will see. I did hit a couple of bigger potholes as they are completely digging up and resurfacing the road and it is a mess.

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I test drove this:
Pros: Cool and easy
Cons: Loud a heck, hot, and one more gismo to cost money to fix/replace

That really stinks that it already broke.
With all due respect, owning and testing one out are quite different. Realizing these are not for everyone, I have four years of ownership and not one regret owning . Nothing but positive to report during all four New England seasons on the trail, beach, backroad or highway.

I could provide numerous examples of how nice it is to open and shut a top with just a push of a button - rare sunny 50 degree day in January, traffic time on the highway, up to the second protection in a thunderstorm, overgrown sections of wooded trails where trees want to drop everything inside your rig as you scrape through them.

And we all know hardtops and soft tops are prone to their own set of repair challenges, noises and lack if R-value.

Will I someday curse Stalantis over this design. I am guessing yes. At that point in time, I may even replace with an inferior hardtop of soft top. Not likely, however.

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As my update states/shows, both sides have now broken from metal fatigue. And unless Jeep knew about this problem and already implemented a change, this will likely haunt every Sky One touch top sold..

The failed broken metal straps seem to be part of the first guide rail, which I am guessing is not a FRU. I am out of warranty and in need of a MacGyver solution. How to connect a section of similar metal to the broken piece that will accomplish the task of pushing up the first top fold without spending thousands on a replacement OE top…to be continued.

Any Jeep SOT engineers watching this thread?

For now, I need to manually push the first section up upon opening.

‘Have I mentioned how much I like this top?

IMG_8518.jpeg

MarkEvans

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0t
@Mikepa Thanks for the detailed writeup! Both my driver-side and passenger-side rivets have failed. And the passenger-side metal strap / bar above the mechanism, in the sleeve attached to the canvas roof, is gone. (Where the heck did it GO?!?) Did you figure out a way to get a replacement metal strap /
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch Jeep JL OTT PS Strap Problem
bar, or jury-rig a solution?
Sponsored