OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 LR4, 2010 F-150 FX4, 2008 620i Gator
Did you have to remove anything to access it and drill?
Good point. I closed the top fully then opened it, stopping quickly once the first fold of the canvas top gave maximum access from below and above. Most of the broken rivet removal was squeezing and drilled slowly from below at an awkward angle taking a little material at a time. Once I broke away the expanded portion of the rivet, I tapped it up carefully with a nail set, being careful not to puncture the canvas.

The first time it happened I recall trying to push down on the rivet but access from above/outside the top was too tight
Advertisement

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
First things first...I love the convenience of this top. Absolutely no regrets getting it. That stated, I noticed a bulge in the top this morning before getting in. Looks like a pop rivet holding the full length “band” used to close it tight failed on driver’s side. Anyone else seen this?
243B23F7-B335-42EE-B379-FEEB95D27F30.jpeg
52FE688B-A572-4669-9587-82AED82A8207.jpeg
1537F6E9-D285-40D9-8C35-1B7AE2BA3B6A.jpeg
Just had my driver side break today….10 days until dealer can get me in to even look at it. 🙄

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had my driver side break today….10 days until dealer can get me in to even look at it. 🙄
Sorry to hear that. I read another thread in the forum, posted after this one, where a dealer replaced entire top for what seemed to be this problem.

My screw/nut solution seems to be holding up well. The real challenge will come if/when the rear mounted spring mechanism fails. 🤔

DKayGing

First Name
Debra
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Sorry to hear that. I read another thread in the forum, posted after this one, where a dealer replaced entire top for what seemed to be this problem.

My screw/nut solution seems to be holding up well. The real challenge will come if/when the rear mounted spring mechanism fails. 🤔
The

I stopped by the dealer and with their print out of parts they don’t know what part of roof to order to get this small piece….so they are ordering entire top. 😳

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
This is actually a good thing…

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is actually a good thing…
I guess that depends on how much faith one has in their dealer replacing a factory installed, weather-tight top which is not designed to be removed. A new top after three years is tempting but not enough for me. Sorry.

Advertisement

Rancho

Advertisement