Broken pinion d44

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
So about two years ago I put a ProRock 44 with Eaton eLocker up front to replace the D30. It’s a sport with a stock d44 in the rear. As for the rear I had a shop swap gears to match front with Yukon 5.13 and added chromoly axles. I do off-road but mostly drive on the road. It’s my second vehicle so it’s a toy. My problem is I snapped the ring and pinion over the weekend. My question is as follows. Should I fix this and caulk it up as a fluke or am I going to have a problem again. I am running 37” master rafts and want to run 38”s. I wanted to upgrade to the profloat 60 to match but it’s $8,000 and 16 week lead time. I am going to Windrock the end of April and need the Jeep. What would you do?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Also wanted to put elocker in but scared it will just weaken it further

Reactions: J0E

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Do you have pictures of the inside of the housing? Was there any other damage outside of the R&P? Specifically, any bearing faces, oil galley cracked, or any other damage?

More often than not, it's the driver that breaks the equipment.

I would just fix it and keep wheeling. Your set-up should be just fine with 37's if you wheel smart. 38's narrows your margin for error as a driver; in regard to mechanical breakage, that is.

OP
OP

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I do not have pictures at this time but it’s in the shop and they are taking pictures for the warranty of the gears. I do know the pinion seal looks like it was leaking when I climbed under after the damage. Can see if they can send them to me also. My fear is they were not set up correct.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask what shop set up your gears? I would like to see how they deal with your situation. Please update your thread. Thank you

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Seems like a freak accident, but as pointed out driving style can influence it. I’m the punching bag in my club because I’d rather bypass than bump with 39’s on stock Rubicon axles.
I wonder if the locker will actually help since the shafts are held at the same speed rather then seeing high impulse loads as they find and lose traction. I’m not that type of engineer though.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I wonder if the locker will actually help since the shafts are held at the same speed rather then seeing high impulse loads as they find and lose traction.
Lockers can double the load on the ring gear and pinon since you have two sides pulling. Lockers help when your bouncing but in general they put more load on the ring gear and pinion. That's why D30 don't come with lockers. That's why it's take other manufactures so long to have front lockers. Does Nissan and Toyota have a front locker option? How about full size Chevy & Ford?

Seems like a freak accident, but as pointed out driving style can influence it. I’m the punching bag in my club because I’d rather bypass than bump with 39’s on stock Rubicon axles.
D44 break all the time with 37's. Smart to bypass with 39's, but then, why not mount 35's and take the hard line?

OP
OP

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My other option is to purchase the Fusion 4x4 semi float as it is only 4 weeks to get one.

OP
OP

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The shop that did the install was ProTrucks. They are an offroad truck company that does this stuff everyday. Or so I would assume.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
The shop that did the install was ProTrucks. They are an offroad truck company that does this stuff everyday. Or so I would assume.
Thanks.
Our Jeep Club swears by Globex Performance in Toms River. I had them install a gear set that I was going to do myself. They quoted me a great install price. I've had to change the wheel bearing and the pinion seal at about 500 mi after install, but it gave me an excuse to go with chromoly axles. Best of luck. Just wondering if ProTrucks pro rated a new install or offer any concessions? Did they say it was your fault?

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My other option is to purchase the Fusion 4x4 semi float as it is only 4 weeks to get one.
That's what I have, aside from a couple of mishaps up front it works well. 40 spline shafts too, unless your rig is very heavy and your bouncing etc you should be good on flanges.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I've done a ton of ProRock44 work and this is a fluke. I'd like to know what exactly failed. I've sold 44/60 units (44 R&P with 60 everything else) with zero failures. My guess is that something minor came loose internally which, in turn, caused a catastrophic failure. Pictures will help.
For example, using the wrong LocTite or assembly technique can allow the ring gear bolts to back out. Once that happens all hell breaks loose and parts start flying.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
You definitely should have been fine with your setup. Without pictures and more information, I'm not sure why it failed. You should be fine to repair it and keep going.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have Yukon gears and they're whining on decel now.. I'm not very happy about it. It's not bad, just annoying. It's so subtle talking or the radio drowns it out.

I always heard bad things about Yukon gear but my shop talked me into it.
Sponsored