Sponsored

Broken JLUR and terrible dealer customer service

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
Just need to vent a bit as the last 2 days have been quite frustrating. Was driving my 2018 JLUR over the weekend on the highway when it started shaking violently with a flashing SES light. Was able to limp it home with the engine misfiring and sounding like general garbage.

Brought it into the dealer after the long weekend to get it checked out. Received no call at all from the dealer all day. I called multiple times at the end of the day and spoke to 3 individuals who all assured me my service advisor would call me back in a few minutes. Received no call or any update at to what was happening.

This morning I called as soon as they opened and asked for the service advisor. Was told he was busy and would call me back. Fast forward an hour and no call from the manager or the service tech. At my wits end, I decided to drive to the dealer in my wife's car.

Confront the service advisor about why he didn't call me at all yesterday or call me back yesterday or this morning. He tells me "I was just real busy". Unreal. No sorry or anything. Doesn't even have an update ready on my jeep.

Demand to speak to the manager. Tell him the whole story. He apologizes and says the service advisor will call me at 10 and 2 each day with updates until the jeep is fixed. Service advisor finally comes back with the paperwork and tell me the jeep as multiple lean and misfire codes. He says the don't know how to fix it yet and have opened a Star case. No idea when my jeep will be fixed. Mentions something about potentially replacing the entire exhaust system.

I love my jeep but this whole experience is really making me second guess my purchase. I've never had such terrible customer service from a dealer or issues like this on such a new vehicle. Anyone else have this engine issue? Any suggestions on what to do next? Is it worth trying to call jeep customer care?

UPDATE: opened a case with Jeep Wave. We'll see if that does anything.
Dealer called me about 5 min ago to tell me they still don't know what is wrong with it. The supposedly think it's something with the exhaust system. Chrysler engineers told them to do some sort of compression test tomorrow when the jeep is cold. No closer to being fixed and will be without it going on a 3rd day.

UPDATE 2: Spoke with my Jeep Customer Care case manager this afternoon. She had called the dealer numerous times this morning without a response. Dealer hadn't called me with any update. She was finally able to get ahold of the service manager via email. Service manager called me with an update that they believe it is a bad O2 sensor, offered me a loaner vehicle, and told me that the Service advisor(who clearly could care less about me or customer service) would no longer be working with me and she would be the POC. Big thanks to JeepCares Customer service as that seemed to be the only thing lighting a fire under the dealer's ass to do anything. Still no Jeep but at least they are giving me a loaner.

Update 3: Picked up the loaner and learned that the horrible service advisor is "no longer with the dealership"
Sponsored

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
No doubt that there is an engine/tranny problem, but--

Your problem is your choice of dealer, it's almost to late to switch, but I wouldn't hesitate to contact "JEEP CARES" and getta file started-

whata bummer--good luck

JIMBO

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Was driving my 2018 JLUR over the weekend on the highway when it started shaking violently with a flashing SES light. Was able to limp it home with the engine misfiring and sounding like general garbage.

Confront the service advisor about why he didn't call me at all yesterday or call me back yesterday or this morning. He tells me "I was just real busy". Unreal. No sorry or anything. Doesn't even have an update ready on my jeep.

Anyone else have this engine issue? Any suggestions on what to do next? Is it worth trying to call jeep customer care?
There are many threads about this sort of problem . The electronics system was designed by the nutty professor , and assembled by the three stooges .

So , in a sense , the dealer service dept. is as clueless as you . However , they ought to be upfront and not be evasive with you .

You must document everything that happened , both on your Jeep , and with the dealer service dept , with dates and times . Then , if a Lemon Law case needs to be opened with your attorney general , you will have all your ducks in a row .

Personally , I would contact Mike Manley , CEO , immediately , so there is a record at corporate .

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
There are many threads about this sort of problem . The electronics system was designed by the nutty professor , and assembled by the three stooges .

So , in a sense , the dealer service dept. is as clueless as you . However , they ought to be upfront and not be evasive with you .

You must document everything that happened , both on your Jeep , and with the dealer service dept , with dates and times . Then , if a Lemon Law case needs to be opened with your attorney general , you will have all your ducks in a row .

Personally , I would contact Mike Manley , CEO , immediately , so there is a record at corporate .
I wouldn’t let messages like this one get your anxiety up even more. Let them have it for a couple or few days before getting too frustrated. Ask for a loaner. Cars are complicated. Sometimes it takes more than a day or two to get it all sorted out- and it will get sorted out. As the CEO of a giant multinational corporation, Mr Manley doesn’t have time to deal with a Jeep that’s been in the shop for a day and a half, I can assure you.

Good luck and remember that what’s going on now ought to be not too big of a deal in retrospect. Hopefully!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm sorry for your problems. A failed rig, on top of a failed dealer is insult to injury. Perhaps you might want to consider sharing with us the specific dealership and names of the point people who dropped the ball so as to motivate them, and dealers like them, to be more sensitive to the fact that they aren't the only ones with the power of a network. We too, the owners, have places like this great forum to voice our legitimate concerns so as to operate with the force of group dynamics. This situation could have happened to any of us, and I suspect that nearly all of us can sympathize.

Fortunately most of us can't empathize: the process of feeling sadness through shared experience. Whether we've failed to have the issues with the rig you have, or have dealt with better service, most of us haven't experienced your level of frustration.

One morning my rig disabled ESS. I think it may have had something to do with my leaving one of the doors open overnight in slightly wet weather. The problem went away, but the dealer wouldn't even take my rig for 3 weeks--so I understand.

Although we hate it when it's us, the fact remains that buggy product is likely to appear in a few rigs across the 1000s made. It sucks: I'll give you that.

I do have one suggestion. Before I offer it I want to stress that in fairness to FCA that it is an avenue that should not be pursued until all reasonable channels of resolution have been tried (and documented) first, and the consumer has exercised patience.

I don't know who the current President of Jeep is. At the time of my issue it was Mike Manley, who has been promoted to run FCA given the passing of Sergio Marchionne. I wrote to Mr. Manley's office, certified mail, knowing clear well he wasn't going to personally read or respond to my letter, but that one of many highly trained and competent people that work for the Office of the President in any large organization would, and assign my problem a special designation that FCA subordinates, including independent dealers would "jump" to attend to.

If you choose to write such a letter, please explain precisely the steps you unsuccessfully took to solve this issue, who and when you spoke to, what happened as a result, and the patience you tried to show despite these issues. I believe such consideration of the Office of the President's staff will earn you traction with their willingness to help you.

Good luck.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Every dealer is a independent franchise. I think your dealer dropped the ball big time. FCA should reward and punish dealers based on customer service surveys. Other brands do this. I can kind of understand the dealers point of view also. FCA probably has overloaded the dealer network with warranty and recall work due to poor QC. The dealer's don't want to do anything unless FCA approves the repair out fear they will not be reimbursed. It does not help that warranty work is paid at a discounted rate. Some dealers will work on higher profit repairs first. In your case it looks as if it's just poor dealer management. Dealers like this hurt FCA in the long run. Call Jeep Cares.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I wrote to Mr. Manley's office, certified mail, knowing clear well he wasn't going to personally read or respond to my letter, but that one of many highly trained and competent people that work for the Office of the President in any large organization would, and assign my problem a special designation that FCA subordinates, including independent dealers would "jump" to attend to.
Exactly correct !

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The dealer don't want to do anything unless FCA approves the repair out fear they will not be reimbursed. In your case it looks as if it's just poor dealer management.
Exactly correct !

OP
OP

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
Updated the first post. Still don't know what is wrong with the jeep and will be without it going on a third day.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Updated the first post. Still don't know what is wrong with the jeep and will be without it going on a third day.
Totally inconvenient and unacceptable . Have they given you a free loaner ?

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
I know how you feel. My JK was in the shop 38 days during the first two months I had it. Tried the lemon law route. Waste of time. Traded in on my JL.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Hate to hear of these issues. I have never really been treated well by any dealer after the sale.

Really hope you get fixed up soon.
Sponsored