Sponsored

Broken clip nut on steel bumper end. Advice?

WIRubicon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Turbo Ocean Blue, '17 MX-5 RF, '17 Subaru Imprezza Sport - Past '10 JKU Mountain Edition, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, '02 4-Runner, '96 4-Runner
I went to remove the ends of the front steel bumper on my 2018 JLUR and one of the clip nuts on the bottom back of the bumper snapped. Must have been cross threaded or something. I have tried everything to get the bolt out and nothing worked. I used a vice grip to hold the end of the clip, tried to block the clip from spinning, and nothing has worked.

Any advice on how to remove the torx bolt?
Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
If the vice grips didn't work, I'd try using a adjustable wrench opened to the size of the clip, if that didn't work maybe a small pipe wrench and if all clamping type tools failed, I'd use s dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the clip while trying to save the bolt. Just my $.02

OP
OP
WIRubicon

WIRubicon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Turbo Ocean Blue, '17 MX-5 RF, '17 Subaru Imprezza Sport - Past '10 JKU Mountain Edition, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, '02 4-Runner, '96 4-Runner
If the vice grips didn't work, I'd try using a adjustable wrench opened to the size of the clip, if that didn't work maybe a small pipe wrench and if all clamping type tools failed, I'd use s dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the clip while trying to save the bolt. Just my $.02
Thanks for the advice GM. It's a tight fit but I'l have to see if I can get in there and cut it off. I guess that is my only real option. I'll tackle that one the next chance I get. Thanks again.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
No worries. Nothing is ever simple with everything I do either. Another idea is to drill the head of the bolt off. Use your vice grips to hold the bottom of the bolt and from the top, start with a smaller bit and work your way up to the size of the thread shaft. You'll only need to drill a little pass the head. With the head off, the rest of the bolt should drop from the bottom. A new bolt shouldn't cost too much....

ThePnWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Afte
I went to remove the ends of the front steel bumper on my 2018 JLUR and one of the clip nuts on the bottom back of the bumper snapped. Must have been cross threaded or something. I have tried everything to get the bolt out and nothing worked. I used a vice grip to hold the end of the clip, tried to block the clip from spinning, and nothing has worked.

I ran into the same issue. After what seemed like forever trying to get clip from spinning. I finally just cut the bolt off. Figure I can buy one bolt online somewhere if I need it in the future.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I ran into the same issue. After what seemed like forever trying to get clip from spinning. I finally just cut the bolt off. Figure I can buy one bolt online somewhere if I need it in the future.
I needed a couple extra bolts and got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX3TF9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) M8 x 1.25mm pitch. They worked perfect. Only difference versus factory is the torx size. These are one size smaller than factory, if I recall correctly.
Sponsored