Broken Body Mount Bolt Repair Location

ada596

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Well, I've done it, I've broken my front passenger body mount bolt while installing some sliders. So far I've been at a complete loss in finding a fix. I've taken it to the dealership who recommended that I take it to a body shop. I've reached out to several in my area and they've all said that they can't (or won't) fix it. Seeing as this seems to be a not so rare occurrence, I was hoping someone in SoCal could recommend a place to get this fixed. I'm in Orange County but at this point I'll take it anywhere. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Well, I haven’t ever gotten under the Wrangler to look at the satanic bolts, however I have snapped off quite a few bolts in my time. Because it’s in there so tight, it sounds like an easy-out will not work.
You’re left with only one option. Drill it out. Find a bit that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt shaft. Drill it out. This sounds a lot easier than it really is. You want to get as close to the edges of the bolt shaft as possible so you only leave behind bolt threads. This is risky, because you don’t want to drill out the factory threads. You also have to drill it near perfectly, and start out perfectly centered. It is far from an easy task.
Once it’s drilled out then you have to deal with the threads.
Easiest way to clean those out will be many passes with a tap. Find the correct size tap, and make sure it is starting in the same thread pattern as factory. Start to follow the factory thread pattern. It will take many, many passes of the tap to cut the threads out.