Broke screw on soft top - help!

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Hey members, I accidentally over torqued the screw on my soft top. Heard a loud pop and haven’t been able to pull the screw out and the screw isn’t catching the thread anymore. Any fixes? Thx!
Jeep Wrangler JL Broke screw on soft top - help! image
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Sound like the nut that the screw goes into broke free. That nut is on the inside of the roll bar. Unfortunately, that is not going to be an easy fit. Might want to try the dealer and see if they have any ideas.
That screw goes through the sport bar, and the nut is on top of the (plastic/fiberglass/whatever it's made from) drip rail channel. When you get the OEM soft top, that bracket comes in the box. It's probably replaceable if the nut has spun and won't catch any more. Try opening the soft top and having a look.

OP
OP
atso

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Been there, they are about $20 each. Go to your dealer they will order it for you.
Thx. I’ll check it out tomorrow. The instructions read 2 lb-ft torque on some and 6 lb-ft for others. I don’t have or seen torque wrenches have that low of settings. I guess i should start from the loosest and quarter turns on the screws until I see desired results?