Sponsored

Bringing A/C Power into the JL the maximum amount of time.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
As a Sahara owner I have the A/C plug in the rear of the console, and it's more than capable of providing A/C power to charge my tools when the vehicle is on.

As an accessory (as opposed to battery) outlet though, it's not energized when the rig is parked--which is just as well--as draining my 3.6L's batteries charging tools when the vehicle's parked would clearly be a problem when it comes to cranking the engine.

I already have the ability to connect the vehicle to 110 A/C shoreline power when on my driveway. I use this electrical line with a trickle charger to top off the vehcile's batteries given its infrequency of usage in COVID. What I'd like is to have is an RV like transfer switch like this https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-8080...mall+rv+transfer+switch&qid=1599758942&sr=8-3 (connected to a single female receptacle I can get at a big box store) that can provide a single outlet my gear plugs into that gets energized from the alternator when the rig's in motion, but automatically switches to shore power, if available, when the rig is plugged into home A/C anyway for the trickle charging.

The makers suggest use of this device, which I like because it's small and can fit under the front passenger's seat, with only their inverter--probably not an issue to use with the inverter already put by the factory into my rig. But has anyone done this already and have advise.

Thanks.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Is there no fuse that can be swapped for the inverter? I'm guessing not, but I don't know.

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Since you will be manually plugging in the shore power into the device when in your driveway; cant you just plug the shore power directly into the equipment that needs AC power? I'm not sure what steps this device will be saving, or are you looking to have the input receptacle mounted outside the vehicle for easy hookup?
Sponsored