BRIGHT WHITE Wrangler JL Club

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
I was in the Sting Gray club for a minute, but then I realized Bright White is the way to go... I'm going for a 2 door Rubicon sometime this year!

Help me decide between painted fenders or unpainted black fenders...[/QU
I was in the Sting Gray club for a minute, but then I realized Bright White is the way to go... I'm going for a 2 door Rubicon sometime this year!

Help me decide between painted fenders or unpainted black fenders...
You'll have white "fenders" either way, but the "flares" are color optional. I too was calling them fenders before I learned the two were different. I think you need to go to the dealer a few times and decide what you really want and what looks best to you. I was thinking painted, but then I took one home for an overnight demo, and it happened to have black trim. I liked the contrast, specifically the rear flare area of the jeep where I feel like the all white lacks differentiation and needs something there. I went back and forth. Both are nice options and you can always change at a future date. That being said, think about whether you want a painted or black top too. So many combos, but can't go wrong in the end. I pick mine up Saturday.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Painted Fenders Bright White 2 door Rubicon. Here ya go.

topless.jpg

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

If you are going to do much wheeling or off-road driving I would go with black plastic fenders as they are more forgiving to scratches and dings.

If you get painted fenders, get some steps or sliders to help guard the rear painted fenders from small rocks that get thrown that way by the front tires.

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to do much wheeling or off-road driving I would go with black plastic fenders as they are more forgiving to scratches and dings.

If you get painted fenders, get some steps or sliders to help guard the rear painted fenders from small rocks that get thrown that way by the front tires.
I don't 100% agree with this. I've read post on here where people placed a tool on top of the black plastic fenders and it slid off and left a scratch. With painted fenders, a nice coat of wax or ceramic coating will help combat pin strips on the trail. Also paint with clear coat can be buffed out especially on white. Once you get a scratch in that textured plastic there is no buffing it out. If you plan on going with aftermarket fenders I would definitely go black plastic for the cost factor.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't 100% agree with this. I've read post on here where people placed a tool on top of the black plastic fenders and it slid off and left a scratch. With painted fenders, a nice coat of wax or ceramic coating will help combat pin strips on the trail. Also paint with clear coat can be buffed out especially on white. Once you get a scratch in that textured plastic there is no buffing it out. If you plan on going with aftermarket fenders I would definitely go black plastic for the cost factor.
I see you’re point. I’m not talking about pin-scratches, I’m talking about rubbing the whole fender flare down the side of a tree.

If you had painted flares, once you get a scratch through the clear and into the white paint you’re not buffing it out.
The point is that the bare plastic flares will take a lot of abuse and still look pretty decent. But they will fade over time from UV since they don’t have a finish, but they are also much cheaper to replace since take-offs are easy to come by.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good choice.

I’ve seen so many JKs with faded black fenders that I decided to go with body color, though I don’t know if the JL is using the same plastic or not. Anyway, I’m glad I did. See posts 1344 and 1345 above for photos.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen so many JKs with faded black fenders that I decided to go with body color, though I don’t know if the JL is using the same plastic or not. Anyway, I’m glad I did. See posts 1344 and 1345 above for photos.
Using a hair dryer or heat gun you can bring faded black fenders back to "like new" condition. heat will even repair minor scratches on the black plastic flares.

Overall I think the black just looks better with the contrast against most colors and is also more forgiving for minor road and trail blemishes than the painted flares are.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I see you’re point. I’m not talking about pin-scratches, I’m talking about rubbing the whole fender flare down the side of a tree.

If you had painted flares, once you get a scratch through the clear and into the white paint you’re not buffing it out.
The point is that the bare plastic flares will take a lot of abuse and still look pretty decent. But they will fade over time from UV since they don’t have a finish, but they are also much cheaper to replace since take-offs are easy to come by.
I got black because you can get rock chips on the painted Fender someone told me but now I'd like to have the white painted fenders. I have the black from the factory can I just paint over those black and scuff them or is that a different material or what could a body shop paint them white and make them look just like you did for the factory or is it a as a different material that comes from the factory when they're painted